Note to New Members ×

Carpet carving

BlueB

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

This Sunday, young Mark came out to play on his new alpine setup. It was his first day ever on hard boots and he was absolutely killing it! Just going for it, even through the small moguls, between the rocks, over the ice! By next season he’ll be caving the circles around us :D

Way to go buddy, keep up good work!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are getting ready for our trip to The Big Whiteout (Whitefish, Mt). Dawn wants to try hardboots this year and so I thought I'd get her experimenting with her stance before we leave the comforts of home. Here are the stats. Dawn is 5'7" and weighs 127 lb. and rides regular. For years she's been riding a freeride board that is way too short for her, but hasn't felt the need to change (somewhat old Burton TwinTip 149 in the photos). She wants to use her Dalbello ski boots. I'm thinking Burton Race Plates are a good place to start. Her freeride stance is 20", back from center 1". The way I've set her plates is 18 7/8" wide, back from center 1/2", 37 deg front, 30 deg back. I have a set of cants and tried one on the back but flat felt better overall because the stomp pad interfering with the cant kept me from putting the binding at the right place, widening her stance a bit. Thoughts? Since we will be meeting other carvers during WTF'10 I'm hoping we can get some competent inputs rather than relying on my aimless mucking about. If Dawn is OK on plates I'd really like to get her onto a more suitable board.

post-1998-141842297925_thumb.jpg

post-1998-141842297928_thumb.jpg

post-1998-141842297931_thumb.jpg

By looking at those pics, she could definitelly use some heel lift at the rear boot. Boot cuff is straighter then her leg seems to want to be...

Also maybe some inward canting on the front boot (!?) It could be just the camera angle, or the way she's standing pretty relaxed, though.

I talked to Kathy this evening about WTF 10 and she mentioned bringing a board for Dawn to tryout.

Looking at the pics, try putting the dalbellos in walk/soft mode for a bit more forgiveness. Looking forward to meeting & riding with everyone thur.& fri. at "the big whiteout":lol:

Thanks guys... Nah, Dawn doesn't need inward cant on her front foot. Her leg presently is broken right at the top of the boot. But its OK, she's a tough bird.

To help accomodate Dawn's supination I'd really like to get her onto my Cateks but I've got only SI. I could ride the Cateks and put Dawn on my TD2 standards, but the adjusting etc might be tedious. Besides, the Cateks and TD2s are pretty stiff and I think Dawn might appreciate the flex in the Burtons.

About Dawn's Dalbellos... even in walk mode they seem pretty stiff. We played a bit with leaving the top a little loose. I forgot what MP the boot is. Dawn wears a ladies size 8 (shameless solicitation for equipment help!)

Last night I made a little cutaway on a cant so it would not overlap the stomp pad, so now I can use cant AND place the back binding where it needs to be. Should Dawn need to have her stance reduced more this will allow the back binding to move forward a bit more.

Just recieved this cuttest ever carpet-carving pic, from Yoshi's mom. He's getting used to his new stance with added heel and toe lifts, but not just wasting time standing there. It gives a whole new meaning to "fiddling with the gear", or "being in tune with the equipment" :D

Yoshi is my youngest alpine student so far.

post-1678-141842298027_thumb.jpg

It gives a whole new meaning to "fiddling with the gear", or "being in tune with the equipment" :D

It shows also how easy and fun doing alpine carving:1luvu:=> a 7 years old boy can do it;). Go Yoshii Go!! Have fun!

...hmmm, am I the oldest:rolleyes:

Cheers

Roy

Just recieved this cuttest ever carpet-carving pic, from Yoshi's mom. He's getting used to his new stance with added heel and toe lifts, but not just wasting time standing there. It gives a whole new meaning to "fiddling with the gear", or "being in tune with the equipment" :D

great, doesn't make me feel so weird for wearing my motorcycle helmet while practicing my swing with racquet in hand.(while clipped in ofcourse):biggthump

great, doesn't make me feel so weird for wearing my motorcycle helmet while practicing my swing with racquet in hand.(while clipped in ofcourse):biggthump

Hee Hee, Thanks for all the funny jokes. I figure I can make some money on the slopes while carving so I can pay for my lessons with Boris:freak3:

• 3 weeks later...

So Yoshi wants to know when you are giving your next sharpening workshop....I think he is really missing carving ( conditions, as you know, suck locally and we have not been able to make it up to Whistler...)

He has been soft booting it and retaining his style so I am hopefull that once Cypress opens/Olympics over he can get back into his hard boots.

If Cypress does not open again this year, we would love to hook up with you guys and head up to Whistler after the games.:biggthump

So Yoshi wants to know when you are giving your next sharpening workshop....I think he is really missing carving ( conditions, as you know, suck locally and we have not been able to make it up to Whistler...)

He has been soft booting it and retaining his style so I am hopefull that once Cypress opens/Olympics over he can get back into his hard boots.

If Cypress does not open again this year, we would love to hook up with you guys and head up to Whistler after the games.:biggthump

That's a spirit of ALPINE carver:biggthump and when it comes from a 7 year old WOW:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump Anytime follow us...

Cheers

RT