Note to New Members ×

Body armor

John E

So how are all those injured shoulders doing out there? Hope everyone has been healing well. My shoulder has been making slow but steady progress, so I have to be content with tiny improvements from week to week. Did do a Pilates Reformer class (the Reformer is a crazy contraption designed by Joseph Pilates - quite different from the mat classes) last week for the first time ever and have noticed big improvements in stability and range of motion since then, so think I will do more of that. Involved very careful, controlled, conscious movement - highly recommended! :biggthump:biggthump:biggthump Far better than the P.T. that I was going to and a nice addition to the corrective functional work I am doing with a trainer.

I ordered up the Acerbis armor in the women's version. The fit was stunningly poor with almost no adjustment options. Very surprising - especially since I am right in the middle of the recommended size range. If they were studying female anatomy during the design process, I don't think they had body armor on their minds! :eek::eplus2: The only thing I liked about it was the shape of the shoulder pads, but it would have been impossible to keep them in a useful spot without major mods. (Could be the men's would have fit better?)

So... went shopping again and found the Titan Sport Jacket by Fox. Fits well, very adjustable and I like how the back protector can be removed (especially since that is the piece that fits least well and I may get a different one) while still allowing one to wear the shoulder and chest pieces. This was the only armor I found besides the Acerbis that has a shoulder protector that spans the shoulder joint - hoping it will offer a bit of protection from dislocation or rotator cuff tears in an impact situation.

The snow guns are going 24/7 now, so hope to test it out soon! :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My shoulder is back to 80% I would say... coming from a broken collarbone and a AC joint separation from behing hit from behind by a skier last december.

I probably have about 80% strenght in it but it doesn't bother me much.. everyday it's becoming stronger. I have 100% range of motion in my shoulder without any pain.

I bought a six six one armor last year .. not quite sure if I will be using it this year.

Only a few days before a run open at my local hill !

Bankart repair left shoulder 12 years ago,sternoclaviclar dislocation around the same time(pushed that one in myself as the docs wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole). mid shaft displaced clavicle fracture in augest

Total gym work for sure as the shoulder and sterno joint were good after this last crash.

I think my shoulder is close to 100%. I'll never know what was wrong but it was no better than 50% before the surgery. I had chronic pain at rest and debilitating pain when lifting. What surprises me is that with only one bicep muscle still attached I can curl the same amount of weight with my left arm as I can with my right. I do worry about something else letting go but at 65 I feel that staying strong is the best way to avoid future injuries.

Saw some from Six-Six-One for about $80. Included chest protector, spine protector and shoulder pads.

I've seen riders using a butt pan but I didn't really see the point because that is a part of the body that would seem to be the most injury proof and likely to heal.

A good hit on your coccyx can be extremely painful and put you out of action for months. I always wear crash pants since badly bruising mine a few years ago. I could not sit down without a pillow under my ass for days and even months later I felt twinges of pain when exerting myself. Took most of a year to feel back to normal.

@Hans: http://www.louis.de/_10f6ad76fb918287286ed396b2ad9782e1/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&article_context=detail&grwgr=120&wgr=900&list_total=54&anzeige=0&page=4&artnr_gr=208921

http://www.louis.de/_10f6ad76fb918287286ed396b2ad9782e1/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&article_context=detail&grwgr=120&wgr=900&list_total=54&anzeige=0&page=5&artnr_gr=208917

https://www.polo-motorrad.de/de/magnetic-protektorenweste.html

there's also some mcdavid stuff if i'm right.

you could also use rib vests for Kart drivers which are usually very cheap and protective but also quite warm and not very fashionable. if it's a fresh injury that still hurts i could lend you my Karting vest for a couple of weeks..

@Hans: http://www.louis.de/_10f6ad76fb918287286ed396b2ad9782e1/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&article_context=detail&grwgr=120&wgr=900&list_total=54&anzeige=0&page=4&artnr_gr=208921

http://www.louis.de/_10f6ad76fb918287286ed396b2ad9782e1/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&article_context=detail&grwgr=120&wgr=900&list_total=54&anzeige=0&page=5&artnr_gr=208917

https://www.polo-motorrad.de/de/magnetic-protektorenweste.html

there's also some mcdavid stuff if i'm right.

you could also use rib vests for Kart drivers which are usually very cheap and protective but also quite warm and not very fashionable. if it's a fresh injury that still hurts i could lend you my Karting vest for a couple of weeks..

Thanks Fruno.

It happened three and two years ago. Still searchin' for a vest like the Dainese with sideribprotection. These you mentioned, are coming close what I am looking for.

A good hit on your coccyx can be extremely painful and put you out of action for months. I always wear crash pants since badly bruising mine a few years ago. I could not sit down without a pillow under my ass for days and even months later I felt twinges of pain when exerting myself. Took most of a year to feel back to normal.

^^ This. I took a killer hit on my butt, with my tailbone protector on, and couldn't walk properly for a week. I also know someone who slipped and fell on ice, and broke her tailbone, and was confined to the house for months - it can be a pretty serious injury. I bought some impact shorts this year, mainly because I'm sick of bruising the hell out of my hips when I lose edges - but also because my new hard armor doesn't have a tailbone protector, and that worries me.

I've been using Dainese Full coat armor for last 6 years. It has saved me from serious injury at least 10 times :1luvu:. But now it's time to get a new armor.

I have heard only good things about armors made of memory cell foam. Never had one of these but I'll give it a try this winter. My choice is combination of Slytech 2nd Skin Back protector and Multi sport jacket (www.slytechprotection.com).

I found very interesting following impact chart.

graph.jpg

Looks like it is a European manufacturer. Do they have dealers in the US? Their website didn't have any pricing.

Slytech products are made by same company as Shred goggles and helmets. I believe company was started by Olympic Gold Medalist and World Cup GS Champion Ted Ligety.

US DEALER is:

CERSAL ACTION SPORTS INC.

28 Daniel Plummer Road #11

Goffstown, NH 03045

USA

Tel: 603 384 3120

Fax: 425 671 9845

Web: www.shredoptics.com

Email: info@shredoptics.com

CHEERS

match

• 4 weeks later...

So after just posting a new thread before "searching" for this one, my 2cents. O'Neil makes a bad azz flak jacket called the HellRaiser. It has that newer SAS-Tec mold-able armor. The stuff is sick! Its really soft and flexible until impact time- it hardens up instantly!!! We put it to the test on a young co-worker with a baseball bat(we had the bat). IT WORKED GREAT!!!!

I bought one a week later(for enduro riding) and love it!

So after just posting a new thread before "searching" for this one, my 2cents. O'Neil makes a bad azz flak jacket called the HellRaiser. It has that newer SAS-Tec mold-able armor. The stuff is sick! Its really soft and flexible until impact time- it hardens up instantly!!! We put it to the test on a young co-worker with a baseball bat(we had the bat). IT WORKED GREAT!!!!

I bought one a week later(for enduro riding) and love it!

got a link for this stuff?

Interesting product. Tried any yet? Curious to know what its volume is and how hot it is to wear. Have tried several types of armor, and the bulk and heat are difficult to deal with.

Slytech products are made by same company as Shred goggles and helmets. I believe company was started by Olympic Gold Medalist and World Cup GS Champion Ted Ligety.

US DEALER is:

CERSAL ACTION SPORTS INC.

28 Daniel Plummer Road #11

Goffstown, NH 03045

USA

Tel: 603 384 3120

Fax: 425 671 9845

Web: www.shredoptics.com

Email: info@shredoptics.com

CHEERS

match