Note to New Members ×

bigmtn... BMES 2010

west carven

Thanks to all who came, rode, skimmed, swam, hopped, collided, tapped and carved huge trenches all over the mountain. Really enjoyed meeting and getting to ride with everyone. Can't wait for all the fun yet to come visiting your home slopes. Hope you come back next year.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, PLEASE tell me the new suit is NOT one of your son's!:nono:

I claim full ownership of the Airblaster Freedom suit. I think loud and obnoxious one-piece suits are going to be in fashion again!

I have noticed a significant reduction of near misses from bombing skiers and snowboarders since wearing the suit. So the function is still far better than the fashion.

It is well equipped with drop seat, leg and pit zips, and pockets in all of the right places.

Glad you all enjoy it as much as I do!

Cheers!

post-3878-141842313122_thumb.jpg

I finally finished editing the video shot on the closing weekend. It took a while to find a legal soundtrack, and it wouldn't fit in one without cutting too much of someones riding, so I broke it into two parts. Part one includes footage of the pond skim.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TSuPNu2MT8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TSuPNu2MT8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1jpQplZ-no&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1jpQplZ-no&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I claim full ownership of the Airblaster Freedom suit. I think loud and obnoxious one-piece suits are going to be in fashion again!

I have noticed a significant reduction of near misses from bombing skiers and snowboarders since wearing the suit. So the function is still far better than the fashion.

It is well equipped with drop seat, leg and pit zips, and pockets in all of the right places.

Glad you all enjoy it as much as I do!

Cheers!

Now that is one sweet photo! :biggthump

Thanks John! You're the best! :biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

The Big Mountain trip was great! And I love having all these awesome videos to watch through the summer to keep me stoked! I know you put in crazy hours and effort to come up with such great results. BIG THANKYOU!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hiking season is winding down early this year. The lack of snow and early spring temps have it melting away almost a month early.

Here's some pics from Friday.

1) The Alpenglow Inn is finally coming down

2) A patchwork of snow is all that's left on the lower mountain

3) The Flathead Valley is greening up nicely

post-1861-141842314144_thumb.jpg

post-1861-141842314146_thumb.jpg

post-1861-141842314148_thumb.jpg

Just when it looked like hiking season at the Big was beyond repair, our spring snow has finally arrived. Check out

from last Sunday if you want to see how sketchy it was getting. Today we received a reprieve. As of 6:00 PM this evening, the village had about 6 inches of fresh, with a foot from mid mountain up. The summit was knee deep and I had a good powder run all the way down. Forecast is for it to keep dumping all night and tomorrow. Don't put away those skins just yet.

Dr. D., you wanna break out that Voile swallowtail again?

post-1861-141842314218_thumb.jpg

Aaron,

I'll be heading up this afternoon. You'll need snowshoes or a splitboard. Boot packing will be exhausting until there's a well packed trail, and that won't be today. I've got some snowshoes if you want to give them a try. It could be the best pow day of the season...

howdy john

thanks for the offer, but had to work today. how was it? looks like it

melted some, must have been a soggy mess by the afternoon. maybe

it does it again tonight, it rained all day. probably early morning is best.

gotta work tomorrow too, anyways boards are put away and fly rods

are ready...

The snow did settle a lot since Wednesday from mid mountain on down, though the summit and the bowl where still pretty good. It only picked up a few more inches overnight, so it looks like Wednesday was the best pow day after all. My signature rings true once again. But really, I had a pretty awesome run, top to bottom, though it was a wet and sweaty slog going up.

Looks like today (Friday) will be drier, with improved visibility. It'll be nice not going up in the wet rain/snow/fog, but I can't get free until mid afternoon. Hope it doesn't get too warm by then.

Doc, sorry you couldn't make it yesterday. I did get back in time to meet Rick and Eric at Sherwoods by 5:30 PM, so you might have made your dinner appointment, unless you wanted to shower first. :) What time you gonna be up there tommorow?

I'm gonna play it by ear based on the weather, but for now I'm planning for late morning.

I made two runs today, starting up at 3:00 PM. On the first run down, the bowl was good but things got real sticky from the bottom of the bowl on down. The second pass was actually much better, it was later (I took a break and hung in my truck a while) and the temp dropped a bit and some clouds rolled in. Once it stopped being sun baked, the speed came back.

Looks fogged in at the top this morning, but it's not raining in town. I'm still gonna go, just not sure exactly when. How about you, Doc D?

Weather service says cloudy with a chance of rain all day, but satellite images show some clear sky north of here that might get squeezed down in a couple hours. Or not...

In the mean time, I did shoot video last Thursday. Gives me something to do on these hikes besides sweat and gasp for air...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASJD4Xd7zVc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASJD4Xd7zVc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>