Note to New Members ×

Cool features in your next house??

www.oldsnowboards.com

What Features would you bring to your next home?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. What Features would you bring to your next home?

• Built in vacuum system
    • Plant Shelves
    • Sky lights
    • Intercom system
    • Smart Home, sound, video, security
    • Concrete floors / counters
    • Solar Cells / Solar WH
    • Tankless water heater/ gas or electric.
    • Home theater/ wall speakers, drop down screen
    • Oversized shower

Imagine doing this "lift" thing with a whole house! :eek:

A preservation society may well do this to lift a glass house above flood waters. 'The Farnsworth House' near Plano, Illinois is a landmark glass house built on stilts intended to cope with seasonal flooding of the Fox river. However the architect, Ludwig Mies Van der Rhoe, didn't go quite high enough .

That house is a minimalist classic!

I think it will look less "organic" to its flat site perched higher on "stilts", but the place is well worth saving.

One of the latter-year problems in flood plain building is that the inevitable erosion and sedimentation that result from widespread upstream construction and agriculture means you're dealing with a bigger, wider flood plain every few years. Thus, the high water mark at any given point is a constantly moving target.

A few anecdotes about about Van der Rhoe -

For a few years in the early '50's, NCSU's young design school, especially its architecture dept., was one of the "in" places for noted, avant garde architects to speak and occasionally "hang out" in residence for a few weeks. (The one "star" they never snagged was le Corbusier, I think.)

In any event, the elegant Mies came through. One evening, hanging out with the students, he was discussing one of his designs. A young man brought up an apparently very legitimate question about ventilation and airflow. Mies took a long draw on his cigarette (with holder, course), exhaled as he looked up at the ceiling, and said, "Ahhh, dhat is for dee technicians to figure out... "

(to be coninued, briefly)

Thanks for this post!

BB

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the plan is to keep the house at its 'design intended' height during normal conditions and ordinary seasonal flooding and only elevate it during extreme high water events (which seem to be more and more common). I took the posted photo last week.

The whole house is on 8 stilts with a small cylinder under the core of the house to connects utilities. The floor surface is 5 ft above grade and the whole underside of house is void.

Cool house features:

1) Small! No more than 900 sq. ft! Houses are like boats...too big and they are just an expensive pain in the gluteus maximus.

2)Soapstone flooring on 1st floor...plumbed with passive heating piping underneath. Kitchen area a foot above main floor...this would have old warehouse wide solid oak planking. 2nd floor would have old-fashioned floor grates to make use of rising heat, and additional sub-floor passive-heat water piping. All sub-floor heating water would be heated by the Finnish soapstone stove. Only very small 12volt h20 pump needed for heating circulation.

3)post and beam framing through out. No nails or through bolts to rust, only wooden pegs. All timbers exposed. All post and beams would be from old warehouses, to keep down virgin timber harvest. REUSE and RECYCLE.

4)siding inside and out would be a combination of old barn siding and old warehouse siding...all rough surface. In the very few places that would have sheetrock...NO sheetrock...only "wetwall" in these places. Most inner wall surfaces would be light-colored rough sheeting and old planking.

5) Windows would be opposed for good cross-flow ventilation. All windows would be air-barrier double-paned. French doors in kitchen and upper-floor master bedroom also double-paned. All windows would have working shutters outside for storm prep.

6) Southern facing portion of roof would have a combination of solar water heating matrix and 1000 watts of solar energy panels. 1000 more watts solar on woodshed roof. Both useless during Alaska winters.

7)3 wind generators...each on 60 foot towers. each one 72 inch diameter swath. The good thing about certain coastal areas in Alaska, especially near a headland...there is almost always wind...this makes up for the lack of solar energy potential in winter, spring and fall.

8)water-actuated ram pump to pump water from fast-moving stream to elevated cistern. All water gravity fed from fairly high cistern (cistern indoors to keep from freezing in winter)...except 12 volt H2O pump to feed H2O thru solar water heater. Small on-demand gas water heater for showers and clean-up at night (maybe). All drinking water sent through a reverse-osmosis h2o filter.

8A) Root cellar with bear-proof door. Smoke-house for smoking salmon and venison.

9)All electrical systems 12 volt...totally "off-grid". All lighting 12 volt, and some hurricane lamps, but LED is better...just uglier.

10) Working front and back porches (screened), with hammocks and "Skychairs" (the best chair on earth!). Both front and rear doors would open into double door alcove to conserve heat in winter. Rear double door alcove would be the mud-room.

11) massive Finnish-style soapstone woodstove that can burn wood or recycled pellets. Most efficient woodstoves in the world. Radiate incredible heat for hours after fire goes out!

12) situated on enough Ak coastal acreage so as to have sustainable, selective timber harvesting only for wood heat. Large southern-facing garden. Greenhouse for starting veggies early, but fairly useless until at least March! 'Raisable' oyster beds for gathering edible oysters and mussels. Floating dock for the sailboat and skiffs, because often 15-22 foot tides in Alaska.

• 1 month later...

"Manabloc" domestic water distribution manifold. Similar to an electrical panel for your water system.

The larger valves are to provide full flow to other main areas like kitchen and master bathroom.

1" main. The Manabloc will serve the core area Two bathrooms, laundry room and wet bar sink.

I should have photos of it completed this week.

I am looking hard for ideas for heating / cooling systems. I have had to rule out hydronic floor heat and a large masonary stove/oven. I have seen some pretty cool radiant systems. Just not in the budget.

Currently I really like the "Mini Ductless Split" systems and maybe some combination with a central air cirulation system. I would really like to take advantage of "Free air cooling" or and "Economizer System" perhaps combined with "Night Purge". Keeping in mind this is the Pacific Northwest and a Temperate climate.

post-198-141842318833_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842318834_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842318836_thumb.jpg

I think the most unusual feature that I am going build into my house is the heating/water heating system.

Once again , WOW!! That is some serious piping!! How did it work this past winter?? Very impressive. I don't have this kind of space or $$$ , perhaps in the next one :D

post-198-141842318838_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Finished distribution panel.

Three main areas.

Core area-served by the distribution manifold.

Kitchen

Master Bathroom.

This is why there are three larger 3/4" ball valves.

where does the lowest-left minor blue feed/return come from or go to?

First floor toilet/ cold water.

The Manabloc 18 comes with 10 cold (blue) and 8 hot (red)

The top left red is a spare, just a short stub to prevent a leak in

case the valve is opened.

Originally I planned to land the pipes as the best fit in the space.

Then I decided it would be better to have them arranged by destination.

So the hot and cold to the washer for example are straight across from

each other.

This means three of the cold (blue) would be by them selves

Ice maker is directly across from the one you pointed out and the

other is in the top right position (upstairs hall toilet)

How about sliding <a href="http://www.asagroup.org/mobile_shelving_systems/sliding_shelving_systems.shtml">library-style shelves?</a>

I would love to double or triple our book storage area, but they may be too industrial for our study.

BTW, this is definitely the best thread of the summer - lots of great ideas!

No wonder you are both so smart! :)

We have electric (remote controlled) archives like the ones shown. They are HUGE!! I would like something similar made for snowboards!! :eplus2:

My Dad reminded me today that some time spent "Blocking" for drapes, hand rails, cabinets, large fixtures, etc would pay big dividends after the walls are finnished. I said "aren't the headers good enough for drapes" and he pointed out that the don't go out to the sides far enough to allow you to install the longer poles (frames) so the drapes / curtains will clear the entire window and have room to store to the side properly. I would not have thought of that!! Smart guy :1luvu:

I think a washer/dryer in the bedroom would be awesome and a huge convenience, especially if you can find room for them in a walk-in closet. Can you hoist the washer in through a window, or would you have to carry it up the stairs? You may be a better mover than me, but it might be easier to bring it in before the drywall is up and painted so you don't have to worry about dinging the walls.

I forget who suggested this, at first , I didn't like the idea. More I thought about it, it really makes good sense. Save allot of steps and time over the years.

The inspector sort of scratched his head, and then said "what ever".

The Master Bedroom is long enough to put them along one wall and not loose too much. They share the wall with the laundry room down stairs, so it worked out pretty good. Still a bit more work, but I think it will pay off. (as long as the washer doesn't leak)

• 6 months later...
I forget who suggested this, at first , I didn't like the idea. More I thought about it, it really makes good sense. Save allot of steps and time over the years.

The inspector sort of scratched his head, and then said "what ever".

The Master Bedroom is long enough to put them along one wall and not loose too much. They share the wall with the laundry room down stairs, so it worked out pretty good. Still a bit more work, but I think it will pay off. (as long as the washer doesn't leak)

FYI, I learned recently that the rules governing ARC FAULT protection in the bedrooms can be a real buzz kill on the dryer outlet in a bedroom.

Effectively, once you pass into a bedroom door, all the circuits must be "ARC Fault" protected. This is tough when Square D does not make a 2Pole-30amp "QO" breaker. There are few exceptions to the rule, evidently this is one. Took a while to sort it out though.

So, check off , washer-dryer facilities in the master bedroom!! Done!!

Stair Lighting "LED, proximity control, low voltage". not yet installed.

"Three wire" to overhead casablanca fans (seperate controls option)

Casablanca fan directly over stair well on second floor.

New to me- CFL out door lights are required by code!

Please keep the ideas coming.

Addition is now got both plumbing and electrical "Rough In" inspections complete.

Remaining, mechanical (heating, cooling, gas, venting, etc)

Then insulation and cover!! It will still be a while to finish, just looking for those great ideas. Thanks again. Bryan

Then insulation and cover!! It will still be a while to finish, just looking for those great ideas. Thanks again. Bryan

A few extra $$ spent on insulating interior walls is well worth it. Did you go with the upstairs laundry? Make sure you do the walls in there - it cuts the sound way down when the machines are running. Do the bathrooms too. Unitl you have a roommate coming home and showering at midnight, you don't realize what a bonus this is. :)

A few extra $$ spent on insulating interior walls is well worth it. Did you go with the upstairs laundry? Make sure you do the walls in there - it cuts the sound way down when the machines are running. Do the bathrooms too. Unitl you have a roommate coming home and showering at midnight, you don't realize what a bonus this is. :)

Yes, ,master bedroom laundry as well as first floor laundry (figure that will become a boot drying mud bath of sorts) Yes, I have considered it. The outside walls are 6" , so that should be good? The inside walls and 2nd store floor are in question. I plan to have "Zonal HVAC" system of some kind so insulating inside walls would help with that. I am not certain about the sound, but , good thinking Allee!!!

WOW!! Love the guitar rack. Vision that with vintage snowboards!!! :biggthump

Don't forget SIP's structural insulated panels, come in any size30'x 30' ive installed on a roof. Come in various thickness' and are commonly used on timberframes since there are no studs to sandwich fiberglass. Usually 6" thick consisting of what looks like an ice cream sandwich construction. outside layered with osb and 5" o foam in between. just throw up your sheetrock against the inside sheet of osb, and your siding onto the outside piece of osb. Huge R value at about 110% the cost of normal stud walls except its quicker to build and much more eficient.

Just add a hot air exchanger for fresh air in the home with out losing heat or a/c

typically you need to turn on your heat maybe a week a year and the same with the ac.

Just be sure you use a sound attenuation blanket like rock wool (nasty stuff to work with!) and not regular fiber glass, the sound deadening characteristics of R- whatever are negligable. There are also new drywall products on the market specifically designed for sound attenuation. There are lots of nifty little tricks you can incorparate into construction to eliminate sound transmission, such as mass loaded vinly, rc channel, automatic door sweeps, double wall framing, isolation clips ect.....some are cheap, and some are budget busters.

mario

Just be sure you use a sound attenuation blanket like rock wool (nasty stuff to work with!) and not regular fiber glass, the sound deadening characteristics of R- whatever are negligable. mario
That is what I had heard. I have seen the staggered stud methods used in hotels, etc. That is not in the budget, can not afford to change anything that would require structural re-engineering at this point. I will look into some of the other methods mentioned that are relatively inexpensive.

Thanks everyone for the ideas!!

Happy Birthday Allee!!

Git er dun!! :biggthump

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J15osaMXBHA" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dSGUNZQT5Bk" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

I use a winch like that to take the hard top off my jeep for the summer.

for affordable sound attenuation, GP makes a generic homosote substitute for less than $15/sheet. When mounted to RC with edges caulked and covered with 3/4" drywall it reduced transmission by 70% at 120db in my old studio.

• 5 months later...

Just finished the rough in for a Mini-Split HP system for the addition. Three indoor units/ one out door. Very high efficiency all electric system.

Pros and Cons.

Cons:

Ugly? Indoor units mount high on the wall, stick out 8-12" , 30-40" wide.

Requires additional ventilation equipment to provide required outside air.

Pros:

Zonal Control, allowing me to choose different conditions in different parts of the house.

Save Energy - Most home owners experience a 25% to 50% saving on their heating bill!

Installation: Cost vs ducted typically less. They are easy to install and easy to operate. People love the ultra quiet comfort of a ductless heat pump.

Likely going with Daiken, Why Daiken? One, price , two , experience, three, features;

Daikin® is a leading innovator and provider of advanced, high-quality air conditioning solutions for residential, commercial and industrial applications. Over the past 80 years, Daikin has sold millions of systems throughout Asia, Europe and South America, with the average system consistently up and running nearly 20 years after installation.

Today, Daikin is revolutionizing air conditioning and heating in North America with some of the most technologically and aesthetically advanced solutions ever introduced. These intelligent, energy efficient systems provide an unprecedented level of individual comfort and control. It’s a leap beyond air conditioning to the experience of complete comfort.

• 8 months later...

I hope to have a contractor pour the garage floor in the next week or so. Any good ideas of things to do in the garage before I pour the floor? I have considered putting in some pipe to act as "Stands" for tools etc. Removeable.

The concrete guy says he just did a died floor that came out really cool. Any ideas are appreciated.

I hope to have a contractor pour the garage floor in the next week or so. Any good ideas of things to do in the garage before I pour the floor? I have considered putting in some pipe to act as "Stands" for tools etc. Removeable.

The concrete guy says he just did a died floor that came out really cool. Any ideas are appreciated.

I guess the dream garage would have a mop sink, like the ones in janitors closets. Would be great for emptying buckets, washing the dog.....