Note to New Members ×

Cool features in your next house??

www.oldsnowboards.com

What Features would you bring to your next home?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. What Features would you bring to your next home?

• Built in vacuum system
    • Plant Shelves
    • Sky lights
    • Intercom system
    • Smart Home, sound, video, security
    • Concrete floors / counters
    • Solar Cells / Solar WH
    • Tankless water heater/ gas or electric.
    • Home theater/ wall speakers, drop down screen
    • Oversized shower

BobD, Bodum (brand name) makes a countertop appliance that boils water very quickly. It's a Danish product but available wired for the American market.

Thanks, but the bottom line is 120v sucks for power when you need it. 1.5 KW is the max you can get out of a standard receptacle (and most domestic kettles in the US). As a nation of tea drinkers, the Uk probably has the best range of kettles, nearly all of 2 or 3 KW power, at a fraction of the Bodum price.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=kettle&Submit=GO+%3E

I'd say a 240v outlet is a must for serious tea drinkers. Even the toasters are faster (1850w) on 240v.

BobD

post-340-141842283742_thumb.jpg

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, but the bottom line is 120v sucks for power when you need it. 1.5 KW is the max you can get out of a standard receptacle (and most domestic kettles in the US). As a nation of tea drinkers, the Uk probably has the best range of kettles, nearly all of 2 or 3 KW power, at a fraction of the Bodum price.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=kettle&Submit=GO+%3E

I'd say a 240v outlet is a must for serious tea drinkers

BobD

Very interesting! I had know idea good tea pots could draw 3KW. That is allot. Wouldn't cost allot to do that, might pick up on that one. Probably need to see what outlet it uses.

I built my own house about 10 years ago. Smartest thing I did was run RG6 coax, speaker wire and Ethernet to every room. In some rooms, I put in two runs. I think I ran 3000 feet of Ethernet. My contractor thought I was nuts but it's paid off big time.

Stuff I wish I did:

#1 Ground source heat pump aka geothermal system. Heats in the winter, cools in the summer. Cleanest, most efficient energy system available.

#2 Whole house compressed air system. Okay, maybe not the whole house but I'd install outlets in key places and build a cool, dry and sound proofed spot for the compressor. And I'd get a big ass compressor with 60 gallon tank. Compressed air is so handy.

#3 Massive workshop. 1000 sq. ft. minimum.

Very interesting! I had know idea good tea pots could draw 3KW. That is allot. Wouldn't cost allot to do that, might pick up on that one. Probably need to see what outlet it uses.

I just used a 240v 3 wire, Not GFI of course, but that's not a code requirement for a 240v receptacle. Normally Uk appliances are protected from over current by a fuse in the plug top (cord cap)(in this case 13 amp), but if the circuit is on a 15 amp breaker in the panel, there should be no problem.

sy428g.jpg

BobD

I built my own house about 10 years ago. Smartest thing I did was run RG6 coax, speaker wire and Ethernet to every room. In some rooms, I put in two runs. I think I ran 3000 feet of Ethernet. My contractor thought I was nuts but it's paid off big time.

I did that too. Don't use any of it now as internet and phone system are wireless.

Did run the wiring for the suround sound, and built the projection TV in the space under the stairs. I insulated the ceiling and put 8x4 sheets of styrofoam behind the sheetrock on the cailing, to help contain the sound.

21uc8l.jpg

4i1r8p.jpg

BobD

Yep, definitely going to do this, even with wireless it is pretty handy.

Stuff I wish I did:

#1 Ground source heat pump aka geothermal system. Heats in the winter, cools in the summer. Cleanest, most efficient energy system available.

Looking at this, looks like the equipment is more expensive up front. More research needed on my part.

#2 Whole house compressed air system. Okay, maybe not the whole house but I'd install outlets in key places and build a cool, dry and sound proofed spot for the compressor. And I'd get a big ass compressor with 60 gallon tank. Compressed air is so handy.

Had not thought of that in the house, shop yes , in the house no? Hobby room or ?? What do you use it for?

#3 Massive workshop. 1000 sq. ft. minimum.

This already exists, built 25 years ago, 24' x 36' with sizzor trusses, plumbed for bathroom, service pit (18' long, 40" wide and 5'-6" deep), frame straighten anchor pots (never used) shame. Currently bigger than my house :eplus2:

Great ideas!!!

I knew I came to the right bunch. Thanks!!

I just used a 240v 3 wire, Not GFI of course, but that's not a code requirement for a 240v receptacle. Normally Uk appliances are protected from over current by a fuse in the plug top (cord cap)(in this case 13 amp), but if the circuit is on a 15 amp breaker in the panel, there should be no problem.

BobD

Never thought of this one either, seems like a nice feature to add even if I am not a big tea drinker now. Maybe the next GF will be? :eek::1luvu::smashfrea

I'd really like to have a separate door that gives access to outside from the garage... instead of always opening the garage door. Specially in winter with out bedroom right above the garage.

Yep, in the plans. Didn't think about the bedroom being over the garage issue. Cold floor? Be cool to have hydronics in that floor!!

Ceiling of the garage is 12' , door is 16 x 10 so it was already considered a commercial door, at least cost wise. Don't want to see the price of the one with the man door in it. OUCH!! New garage is a little over 600' sq ft.

Al alternative to a 220V Tea Kettle is to use an old-fashioned stovetop teapot. That's what I do, but I have to put a thermometer in the water and set the alarm for different types of tea.

An induction cooktop would speed making tea greatly. I'll probably have at least one induction burner in addition to my gas range.

How about one of these? (hopefully I'd get a bit better with time...)

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGOI9OU-G_g&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGOI9OU-G_g&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

How about being 30 min drive away from 3-4 major mountains ! that would be an awsome feature !

I am afraid that will have to wait till retirement.

Until then, I will have to live with 1-1/2 drive. Used to do it 4.5 days a week per season. Gas and injuries have slowed that. I think Aspen, SLC, Tahoe would be good places to live for a while. Even if just for the winter months.

10Base-T or 1000Base-T is incredibly versatile. Wired Ethernet is far more reliable and faster than any wireless network. Plus, you can use it for a security system, telephone, bell wire and even in a pinch, speaker wire.

Compressed air I use for the obvious stuff - driving pneumatic tools which are far more reliable, cheaper and powerful than their electric counterparts. The non-obvious use is cleaning. Ever wonder how car detailers get your interior so dust and crumb free? They blow out all the dirt. For sweeping decks, forget a broom or hose, use a blower.

I also use air to winterize my sprinkler system and inground pool. For those uses, you need a lot of air so a stationary compressor with big tank works best. You don't want to move those around so you need to have the air lines distributed through your house.

I'm not saying run compressed air to your bedroom, but I would have it plumbed in during the framing stage so I can have air available in the front yard, back yard, basement and garage.

Forgot to mention - I have an oversized shower and the problem with it is it takes forever to build up steam and doesn't hold it very well. So if you're a fan of hot and steamy showers, an oversized shower stall can work against you.

10Base-T or 1000Base-T is incredibly versatile. Wired Ethernet is far more reliable and faster than any wireless network. Plus, you can use it for a security system, telephone, bell wire and even in a pinch, speaker wire.

Yes, aggreed, also allows better access control, additional options in a "Smart System". Wireless will be a part of the system, however the hard wired network will be the back bone. Likely allot of "home runs" required.

Compressed air I use for the obvious stuff - driving pneumatic tools which are far more reliable, cheaper and powerful than their electric counterparts. The non-obvious use is cleaning. Ever wonder how car detailers get your interior so dust and crumb free? They blow out all the dirt. For sweeping decks, forget a broom or hose, use a blower.

I planned to do this in the shop, you got me thinking about how easy it would be to extend out into an addition with some air lines. It would be very cool to have outlets in the new garage and even a "Hobbie Room". Good idea!

I also use air to winterize my sprinkler system and inground pool. For those uses, you need a lot of air so a stationary compressor with big tank works best. You don't want to move those around so you need to have the air lines distributed through your house.

Yes, ideally the compressor is out in the shop where the noise is less of an issue (possibly even outside in it's own shed?) I am guessing you mean a yard sprinkler system. However, it made me think about a house fire sprinkler system. They are still quite expense, however, they are gaining popularity and viability.

I'm not saying run compressed air to your bedroom, but I would have it plumbed in during the framing stage so I can have air available in the front yard, back yard, basement and garage.

Yes, understood

Forgot to mention - I have an oversized shower and the problem with it is it takes forever to build up steam and doesn't hold it very well. So if you're a fan of hot and steamy showers, an oversized shower stall can work against you.

Had not thought of that. I think the room is more important to me.

Lots of great ideas!

Best feature on my house is the screened in porch. I have a nice wooded back yard and a nice brick patio with a pergola, but the heat and mosquitos often kept us indoors. With the screened porch we are able to enjoy our nice yard and view a lot more. And even on a very hot a humid mid-atlantic summer day it is quite comfortable out there with the ceiling fan on. A glass sunroom that can be opened up into a screened room would be even better and extend the season for the room and keep out the pollen in the spring.

I am actually buying a new house now, but couldn't get too picky about special features. Our main criteria were good schools, nice neighborhood, and a garage. It does have a screened porch, a hot tub, a finished basement, and a nice wooded lot. It also has a pool, which I don't really want, but we'll see if it is worth the maintenance hassle and cost.

Best feature on my house is the screened in porch. I am actually buying a new house now, but couldn't get too picky about special features. Our main criteria were good schools, nice neighborhood, and a garage. It does have a screened porch, a hot tub, a finished basement, and a nice wooded lot. .

Sounds like you found a great place. I had not thought of the screened porch. Could have used this big time in Minn. In the PNW not so bad. Still , it would make it much more useable. Thanks again for the great ideas.

802.11n is faster than standard broadband internet. I haven't done a wired vs. wireless test, but it seems to keep up quite well with our business-grade service.

Compressed air I use for the obvious stuff - driving pneumatic tools which are far more reliable, cheaper and powerful than their electric counterparts.

I used to work for Ingersoll-Rand... compressed air as a source of power is hugely more expensive than electricity. You only use it if you have to, like for the torque, or in an explosive environment.

802.11n is faster than standard broadband internet. I haven't done a wired vs. wireless test, but it seems to keep up quite well with our business-grade service.

I used to work for Ingersoll-Rand... compressed air as a source of power is hugely more expensive than electricity. You only use it if you have to, like for the torque, or in an explosive environment.

Those are peak numbers they give for 802.11x... actual numbers are far lower. I've got wired and wireless computers on my network and to move a big file (say a video file) from one to the other will take from say 10 minutes on a wired network to 2-3x that on 802.11n. Way better than the 802.11b days though!

You've also got interference from other wireless routers in the neighborhood, cordless phones, etc.

Only in best case, laboratory scenarios. In real world, plain old 10BaseT beats it hands down. And, it's secure.

You told me this before but since I use it intermittently, the cost of compressed air is not an issue. More important to me are reliability, light weight, compact size and power. I'll take a pneumatic impact wrench over an electric one any day. I have an old Snap-on impact wrench and I abuse it. I throw it around. You can't do that with electric tools.

Then, there are nail guns. I can frame a wall about 100 times faster with a nail gun than with a hammer. And, I never have to worry about the wood splitting. Electric nail guns are crap. Impulse nail guns are expensive and need fuel.

When cleaning the interior of my car, there's no replacement for compressed air. I just open all the doors and windows and blow all the cookie crumbs, dust and dirt out of every crack and corner.

Every man needs compressed air.

Those are peak numbers they give for 802.11x... actual numbers are far lower. I've got wired and wireless computers on my network and to move a big file (say a video file) from one to the other will take from say 10 minutes on a wired network to 2-3x that on 802.11n. Way better than the 802.11b days though!

That's a different scenario, and I agree that from local machine to local machine, a wired connection is faster of course. But regular cable broadband internet service is only about 8 Mbps. Business class cable is around 15 Mbps. 802.11n is around 160 Mbps. That's my only point. So if the concern is internet speed, there's little argument for ethernet over wifi unless you have a T1 or fiber.

I have an Apple Airport Extreme router and it has a USB port for printer sharing or NAS. I have a USB drive hooked up to it. But when I need to move large quantities of data to that drive, plugging it right into the laptop is way way faster.

As for security, anyone who's smart enough to get into your secured wifi network is probably also smart enough to get into your wired network or sniff your packets or whatever. It's like the locks on your doors - anyone who wants to get past them will.

Skategoat - sounds like you need the air then, cool!