Note to New Members ×

How to take a snowboard on a plane

Zanci

check with your airline - every one is different, but yeah you're probably gonna pay.

as to how to protect it - Sporttube is a great idea, but you could also package it like you're gonna ship it - cardboard over the tip & tail - inside of a board bag.

When I went to SES this year, the airline lost my board for a few hours (connecting flight) and I almost had to start the session off without a board. After that, I fedex mine unless I have a direct flight. It is usually less expensive to fedex, and you get better insurance coverage, plus you don't have to deal with it at the airport. If I have a direct flight I take it myself.

Packing: I use pipe insulation to wrap the edges, and then shrinkwrap the whole thing and put it in a board bag. Fast, Easy and protexts your board very well. I keep the pipe insulation intact when I unpack and pack a roll of shrinkwrap for sending it back.

I mostly have to fly to find snow, but I'd never had to pay for my boards with one exception, which is the "low cost" airlines who as you may know charge for everything. Normal scheduled flights, check the airline's website, but generally you don't have to pay, so long as you're under their baggage weight limit.

For protecting the boards I use a hard case and bubble wrap. When I used to use soft sided (eg "Burton Wheely") bags then I'd need a new one every few trips anyway, but I'd also need to pipe-lag the board edges as otherwise they cut the lining for you.

I have brought 2 boards with me on many trans-Atlantic and North American flights and have never had to pay on a major airline, as long as it is winter. In fact, I flew Jet Blue (budget airline) once last season and had no charge since I had all of my clothes in the board bag and no extra suitcase. I use a K2 wheelie bag, and instead of paying for bubble wrap or similar goods, I just pack all of my soft clothing in with the boards for protection, wrapping the boards edges and putting plenty of padding in-between them. A week or 10 day trip should mean that you have plenty of long johns, socks, thermal shirts, neck protectors, gloves, socks, t-shirts, etc to make it good.

I always remove my bindings and either wrap them separately or wrap them and put them in my regular suitcase (if I have another checked bag with me).

Accessories such as waxing irons, wax, scrapers, files, extra screws I put in my carry on. I just don't want that stuff getting lost or stolen.

I have brought 2 boards with me on many trans-Atlantic and North American flights and have never had to pay on a major airline, as long as it is winter.

I don't think there is a time of year restriction on the sports gear allowances. Just meet the requirements of the airlines sports gear rules, normally found on a airline's web site.

BobD

I flew from Chicago to Montreal last november on a Delta/Air Canada flight.

No charge for the board.

I used buble paper from Staples and wrapped the board several times then put it in a ski bag.

No problem to the board.

At the custom, they ask me several if it was a weapon...

Finn dinghy sailors on world circuit used to fly the masts and sails rolled in big PVC tubes. The only extra charges were for excess weight, if any. Check-in procedure is slightly different, but not too complicated.

However, I'm talking 7-9 years back. Maybe something changed in the mean time...

I usually travel with 3 boards and a set of skis.

Bindings removed from everything. I fold cardboard over each tip and tail and tape closed (but don't tape to board). Then I wrap all in a big bedsheet. I lay the sheet on floor and place the longest board, do a couple wraps, lay on next board, do a couple wraps... etc. When done I tightly tape the 'board burrito' closed at top, middle, end. Then I throw it in a wheely bag.

In the bottom of the wheely bag I've got the skis in a cardboard sandwich to keep them from getting crosswise on each other. Then I fill with soft stuff as near as I dare to the weight limit (I have a baggage scale I bring along). So far I've been pleased with no damage to tips, tails, edges OR BAG. Mostly continental US, 1 trans-Atlantic this way.

BE ADVISED... In the 'fine print' most air carriers limit the number of boards or pairs of skis you can pack and not be heavily penalized ($$$$). This limit, as far as I've ever heard, is not being enforced. Just stay in the size/weight limits. BUT... I see a time coming when cash hungry airlines might make you PROVE you meet the board limit just because they can.

I built a bag for each board, fleece lined heavy gauge cordura-like nylon. The tube also has some medium density foam at each end as well I usually pack pants and sweaters to additionally pad the boards. Two boards with bindings, one pair each of hard and soft boots and a few pieces of clothing are usually about 48 lbs and the limit is usually 50.

Two trips to europe and several here on the continent have yielded zero damage to equipment and scratches all over the cases ( I have two) but no real damage to speak of. The have wheels and lots of handles and are very easy to lug around. They also collapse to about 36" for storage. I can give you a link to a super cheap place for them if you like.

I have installed and serviced the conveyor systems at the Toronto airport and can't say I would be in a hurry to put anything on a conveyor that has lots of zippers/ straps. The hard case is very durable.

I travel with my boards like I travel with my women: put them in a plastic skitube so they don`t get damaged.

NICE!!

She sure is a good sport. :biggthump

So, did she trust you enough to allow you to close and lock the tube? :)

I suggest she make sure there are no saws in the room prior to doing this. :eplus2:

i have only paid extra once and that was leaving Calgary this season....17 pounds extra overall she said.....40 pounds per checked bag, 80 total

..........so at 97 i paid 42$....but i have passed free many times with way more boardbag weight....I think it has to do with how full the plane is

I use a Burton wheely case in 181...all bindings off, goggles in boots, helmet packed with hat and gloves, socks

with LOTS of jeans and sweatshirts on the board edges

t shirts go between each board, have had too many boards topsheet scratched.

I built a bag for each board, fleece lined heavy gauge cordura-like nylon. The tube also has some medium density foam at each end as well I usually pack pants and sweaters to additionally pad the boards. Two boards with bindings, one pair each of hard and soft boots and a few pieces of clothing are usually about 48 lbs and the limit is usually 50.

I can give you a link to a super cheap place for them if you like.

QUOTE]

This sounds interesting, please pass along a link or some pics.

-Gord

I fly between the east coast and the rockies approx six times per year for coaching and races..

the sport tube is by far the safest, easiest way to carry your boards.

had to pay EVERY TIME THIS WINTER for two checked bags. not excesss weight.

many airlines will not reimburse you for damages to your stuff unless they are in a sport tube.. also, even with these, they can be damaged-- ask alexa loo!

she had many troubles this year.

i just think the swiss were trying to sabotage the women's race! :)

I fly between the east coast and the rockies approx six times per year for coaching and races..

the sport tube is by far the safest, easiest way to carry your boards.

had to pay EVERY TIME THIS WINTER for two checked bags. not excesss weight.

many airlines will not reimburse you for damages to your stuff unless they are in a sport tube.. also, even with these, they can be damaged-- ask alexa loo!

she had many troubles this year.

i just think the swiss were trying to sabotage the women's race! :)

From behind the scenes, I can tell you they can take a beating!! Oversized luggage often ends up on top of the carts. So, pack your gear so it can take a fall from on top of the cart at 20 mph, followed by the next tug running over it. :smashfrea

On the flip side, nothing like watching a snowboard come flying down the chute naked, no protection at all. The owner? Typically a camper that didn't pay for it that rides rails all day.