Note to New Members ×

3do vests?

tpalka

After reading John G's mention of d3o last year I've been looking for a vest with a d3o spine protector. Looks like only two shops in USA got the Kjus Impact Vest (which would have been spendy, too). Wondering if anyone knows of other manufacturers that might make something similar?

I see there's a kiteboarding impact vest by Mystic:

http://www.pbkiteboarding.com/gear/mystic/mystic_kiteboarding.html

I tried a SixSixOne vest with shoulder protectors and it's just too bulky for me. The d3o vest looks great if it's really as flexible as promissed... Thanks,

tom.

I'm afraid I can't help much with the d3o stuff -- it is too expensive for me. However, for some decent protection that isn't too bulky or too expensive I like the Demon Flex Force Pro High top. Currently on sale for $55, compared to hundreds of dollars for the d3o stuff.

http://www.xsportsprotective.com/demon-flex-force-pro-upper-men.html

It seems that most body armor has shoulder pads designed for impact from the top, but my shoulder hits have been side impacts. This top provides protection when you fall on your shoulder or are hit from the side. It has foam padding, plus removeable hard plastic inserts for the shoulders, elbows, and back. I mainly wanted shoulder protection since that is the only thing I seem to hurt, so I remove the plastic inserts for the elbows and back and just rely on the foam padding for those areas. I hate the graphics on it, but I wear a coat over it so it doesn't really matter.

Brad

Check out www.dainese.com <O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

Its an Italian manufacturer. <O:p</O:p

The company started in the motorbike business. <O:p</O:p

Later on they found a niche in sports like mountain biking or snowboarding.<O:p</O:p

It is a well known company in Europe

Watch out with the sizes. They appear to be a little bit smaller than usual here in the US

I've got a back protector and i am fully satisfied.

Komperdell has got good stuff too

http://www.komperdell.com/index_e.php

I've got no idea if that stuff is available in the US.

I have some first generation T-Pro stuff that I roadrace in, it might be the kind of thing you are looking for. I know that when I got it, there was a bunch of bull riders looking at it as it provided good protection and was light and flexible. I'm not sure what you consider expensive, but this link has a reasonable price for this back protector. They also offer a few options on their site, check it out.

http://www.motostrano.com/tpfobapr.html

It could be argued that I walk today as a direct result of this equipment, don't be afraid to spend some money on good equipment.

Not quite a thread jack

I've got the 661 evo 3do knee guards love em plan to get the xc version also (lite weight)

had the 661 evo 3do shorts but sent em back, no 3do on the butt, just the thigh, when I called sports protective for an rma the woman unhesitantly took em back and agreed they were worthless told me her boss was going to meet with 661 and see if they would put the 3do on the butt

I'd like a vest with 3do for the elbows, shoulders, ribs and spine

cost is relitive to my health:eplus2:

I've gone through a number of vests, and for the time being: I have given up on them. My main problem with them is that they:

a - Cause me to overheat, no matter how few layers I wear.

b - Are (somewhat) motion restricting (the ones with thick elastic waisbands are particularly bad, though Demon makes a vest that isn't too bad in terms of motion restriction, once you cut off the waistband).

or:

c - They are comfortable, but offer negligible protective value.

Notably, I overheat while riding very quickly - I seem to generate a lot of my own heat while I ride, so I usually dress pretty light in terms of layers.

I'd like to see somebody build a jacket that has some light protection built in, and excellent venting. I'd pick that up in a second. Any way you do it, protective gear is going to add insulation, so it seems to me that it would be best built into the jacket (not adding an additional layer) and that the jacket has more ventilation built in, to compensate for the extra insulation that the protective gear represents.

Queequeg is absolutely right.<O:p</O:p

Doesn’t matter what you do, you will ad an extra layer of insulation.<O:p</O:p

I’ve got the same problem and start to sweat pretty fast. That’s why I decided just to get a protector for the spine and non of these vests with breast, shoulder and elbow protection with a zipper at the front. So I’ve got the extra layer just at the back.<O:p</O:p

I picked a Dainese Shield 7-8 Air. The protector is build up with a layer of aluminium which is formed in the shape of honeycombs and a second layer of plastic shields with a lot of holes in it. So it is very light and breathable.

This protector is higher priced too but it paid of this winter. Without it and without a helmet I wouldn’t stand up after a pretty hard crash this winter on pure ice.<O:p</O:p

I decided for my self two seasons ago, never to ride without helmet and back protection. I see it that way; it’s my health and safety, so I don’t save at this point.<O:p</O:p

If you want to have the protection in a jacket, try a motorbike jacket.<O:p</O:p

They are waterproof, very very resistant and they have pockets for/with soft protectors.

If you are looking for a jacket with padding, check out some snowmobile jackets. I had Reima jacket with forearm/elbow, shoulder and spine protection (dual density foam) in it as well as being a jacket good to -40 or something. I wore it two winters while I rode my scooter and was never cold.

I understand the US and Canadian ski teams have jackets with the d3o stuff built in, but I have not seen them available to the public yet.

Also, at SES08 I rode the gondola at Aspen with some German skiers who were wearing jackets with the stuff (I'm pretty sure it was d30) built in to the shoulders, elbows, forearms, and back, so maybe they are available in Germany. They did say that the jackets were very expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool, thanks everyone.

I'm leaning towards buying the POC Spine VPD vest -- the waistband is removable, and it seems to promise both venting and flexibility. I'll have to find a store with a good return policy though.

Ursle -- curious if you could share any thoughts on the VPD Tee that you were selling? It was a bit more than I was looking for, otherwise I'd have taken you up on it. I'd be especially interested in how that VPD stuff feels...

Thanks!

tom.

PS. I generate a lot of heat, so a jacket wouldn't work... I'd love to be able to wear this vest skateboarding in the summer too...

Very cool, thanks everyone.

I'm leaning towards buying the POC Spine VPD vest -- the waistband is removable, and it seems to promise both venting and flexibility. I'll have to find a store with a good return policy though.

Ursle -- curious if you could share any thoughts on the VPD Tee that you were selling? It was a bit more than I was looking for, otherwise I'd have taken you up on it. I'd be especially interested in how that VPD stuff feels...

Thanks!

tom.

PS. I generate a lot of heat, so a jacket wouldn't work... I'd love to be able to wear this vest skateboarding in the summer too...

One note I would make about POC equipment: their helmets are great but I have not found the Armor to be particularly durable. That said, the armor I experimented with was 1.5 generations ago, so they may have improved upon this. For me: the lowermost section of the back protector fell apart (independent of a big crash), and the brethable material developed rips. I also found this armor to be way too warm ... YMMV.

In the winter we carry most of POC's protective gear but what little we have now is probably buried in the warehouse. I may have one Spine Ergo available in Medium. If interested, let me know and I'll try to dig it out. I'll create a Bomber-member discount code to knock 10% off.

• 6 months later...

Well, I picked up the impact vest for $279 and it just arrived today. The vest feels super comfortable, and after my wife spent a few minutes whacking my spine with a tripod, the d3o seems to be working. I'll write more once I've had a few days of riding in it.

Ursle -- curious if you could share any thoughts on the VPD Tee that you were selling? It was a bit more than I was looking for, otherwise I'd have taken you up on it. I'd be especially interested in how that VPD stuff feels

Just saw this 20/20 backwards vision

It's a great coat for COLD days

locks against my helmet on top and my padded shorts

Shoulder and elbow pads are not to heavy duty

good fit, good articulation for the most part

definitely makes you into a ninja turtle, really...

And it's a different feeling than without it on your rear edge, a little leverage, I see some riders with backpacks, same thing I imagine