Note to New Members ×

Charcoal BBQ anyone?

mr_roboteye

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread inspired me to go find a Little Chief on Craigslist - thanks Dave! Not a "real" BBQ, I know, but looked like an easy way to ease into things. I've only ever grilled before.

Reminds of my time in SWA, worked/lived on family game farm in Namibia, cooking springbok/impala,hunting kudu, roasting lamb over open pit fires and drinking german bier, trips to the ivory coast-most amazing scenery-most amazing risks right under your nose-More than one time, having guests in my bed/bedroom that I did not want there:eek:and it was not the blonde afrikaaner you describe.

Simillar to the above.

Replace the Med scenery with South African bush, olive wood with accacia, fish with impala that you shot earlier in the afternoon, wine with Windhoek Lager.

Of course, now you are with a gold-haired, tall Afrikaaner girl, wearing khaki short, short shorts, knee-high wool socks and hiking boots.

:Now go kiss the goddess - live the dream!

Will make a special effort to "scout" the museum this weekend. Haven't been back in several years.

Thank you, too, for not "calling me out" on the "Roman Aphrodite" gaff. Almost positive it is a Roman sculpture, and of course, the Roman goddess of love and fertility was Venus, not Aphrodite!

If your 'go kiss' challenge was "symbolic," rather than literal, please understand that I've been with Ms. BB for 32 years. She has very definite ideas about who, and what, should be "kissable"(!) And, believe me, she is a mortal not to be trifled with...

88 F in Possum's Pouch today ...

A happy late season to you.

peace

BB

Here's my improvised cook out desert. We were staying in cabins in Yellowstone at an extended family get together. We were to provide desert. The little store did not have a lot to offer, but they did have chocolate chip muffins, cherry brandy and vanilla ice cream.

I crumbled the chocolate muffins up and toasted them in a little butter in a large frying pan. Once they were starting to get get crispy, I poured in the cherry brandy. My wife had the bowls of ice cream ready as I tipped the pan to create several feet of flames. Very spectacular in the gathering dusk. I poured the crumbs over each bowl of ice cream and the bowls were handed out still flaming. The smell of cherry brandy and chocolate filled the pine scented air :)

Years later, I repeated this desert at a kayak class camp for about 60 people and learned a valuable lesson - don't use styrofoam bowls for this :nono:

BobD

This thread inspired me to go find a Little Chief on Craigslist - thanks Dave! Not a "real" BBQ, I know, but looked like an easy way to ease into things. I've only ever grilled before.

Dan, Dan, Dan.

My Little Chief has served me well many years now. Do not underestimate the power of the Little Chief! I've done everything from portabello mushrooms and sharp cheddar cheeses to king salmon. I bought my LC at a local thrift store in the early 80's. I've used mesquite, hickory, and local apple wood. All of which made for great eating. Be careful if you have neighbors, the smoke will drive them insane on late Sat/Sun afternoons!

Mark

I'm quite confident you won't be sorry. Utahcarver is right, sometimes your neighbors get a little uppity, but as soon as you give them some of what you're smoking they seem to forget all about it.

later,

Dave R.

I grill all year round on a classic Weber. Gas is for girlymen and divorcees. I'm saving up for this smoker/grill/oven:

BGE_lg9883---edited.gif

www.biggreenegg.com.

I am a little lazy though and I use regular old Kingsford briquettes and lighter fluid. Sue me. Yeah, I'll get a lighter chimney soon. When I'm feeling fancy I'll spring for the lump hardwood charcoal. But I love throwing wet mesquite or hickory chips on the coals. Also a friend cut down a couple apple trees and gave me some of the wood. I'll throw a quarter log on the coals and put the cover on and that gives some real nice flavor.

Try this marinade for Salmon:

1/2 c. soy sauce

1/2 c. maple syrup

2 tbsp red wine vinegar

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp crushed garlic

a few dashes of hot sauce (like Frank's Red Hot) to taste (the marinade isn't supposed to be that spicy, the maple should be the dominant flavor).

I got one last summer, and it's changed my life. I warn you in advance, it's not so much a 'BBQ' as it is a 'Religion'. After going biking, I spend my Sundays in front of it. Once you get the hang of it, it's irreplaceable. I've done chickens, bone-in pork loins, legs of lamb etc. and they all turn out better than any other way I've done them. We got our hands on some deadly dry-aged NY strips, and had the butcher cut them 1.5"-2" thick, and seared them at about 650F - done in about 3 minutes (to the rare side of med-rare) with this perfect caramelized outside. I've spent sundays doing ribs over the smoke at about 180F, with a pot of homemade beans under them to pick up some smoke and catch any falling deliciousness. It BBQ's without drying anything out. You can go hot and fast, slow and low.... i can go on for hours. I've done naans on the inside. Easily the best pork roasts i've done. I gotta stop and go check on her....

So next level.

I'll try and post pics tomorrow....

• 1 year later...

http://pie.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/overview.asp?docid=25623

Published July 1, 2010. From Cook's Illustrated.

<!-- ASP: recipe dek / short description -->Though plenty of rib and brisket enthusiasts convert their grills into makeshift smokers, proper lower-temperature smoking is best achieved with a designated appliance. Right?

list of products tested

<!-- ASP: Article content -->Though plenty of rib and brisket enthusiasts convert their grills into makeshift smokers—we’ve made do with an indirect fire, a pan of water, and soaked wood chips—proper lower-temperature smoking is best achieved with a designated appliance. Giant truck-towed smokers can run as much as $5,000, so we shopped for more affordable alternatives and came home with a trio of significantly cheaper (between $60 and $750) “bullet” models: smaller, cylindrical-shaped vessels, about the size of a kettle grill, that feature a large cooking surface atop a charcoal pan.

Other than introducing wood to the fire, smoking is all about holding the heat at a low, steady temperature for a long time—a full day, in some cases—a process that not only bathes the meat in smoke flavor, but also helps tenderize it by breaking down its tough connective tissue. The appeal of a smoker over a rigged kettle grill is its promise of prolonged, steady heat retention. Smokers typically have the advantage of a larger fuel capacity (for a longer-burning fire), a water reservoir (to absorb and retain heat and produce moister results), and more vents (to control the air flow and temperature within a smaller, more precise range). According to manufacturers, these features keep the ambient temperature in the necessary 225- to 250-degree range for up to 24 hours with little tending of the fire.

We settled for a 12-hour temperature test, recording the temperature of each model every hour while smoking turkey breasts, ribs, brisket, and pork shoulder. Design flaws in one model immediately became apparent. This smoker had neither air vents to control temperature nor an ash grate for its charcoal pan, so that burnt charcoal bits continually smothered the fire. Even with constant tending, its temperature plunged below 200 degrees after only three hours. Furthermore, the charcoal pan was accessible only by removing the 17-inch cooking grates and water pan first—an awkward and potentially hazardous maneuver. One other gripe: Its imprecise thermometer read “hot,” “cool,” and “ideal,” instead of exact temperatures.

Meanwhile, two others hovered comfortably in the 250-degree range from start to finish. One not only boasted exceptionally precise temperature control, but due to the excellent heat retention of its ceramic construction and vents that opened all the way, it was able to reach temperatures as high as 700 to 800 degrees, allowing it to double as a grill and brick oven. However, it came up short on the basics: The single, 18-inch grate was cramped. It also lacked a water reservoir, so that meats turned out drier across the board. In the end, a mid-priced competitor smoked out the competition. It included twin 18.5-inch grates, which provided ample room for four pork butts, two whole turkeys, or four rib racks; a water pan; and a multitude of vents for excellent temperature control. Our only complaint? A lack of handles made transport and cleanup difficult.

<!-- ASP: print this link with the correct ID to see the methodology page -->

<!-- end review content --><!-- ASP: winner's circle; if there are two categories of winners (highly recommended, recommended, etc), print a new winnersCircle div for each rating level --><!--ASP: print rating level -->Winner

<!-- ASP: print this: ASP: get product image -->document\product\SIL_Smoker_Weber.jpgWeber Smokey Mountain Cooker - 18½-Inch Save for its lack of handles, this model literally smoked the competition.

take the fattiest belly cut of pork you can get your hands on, and salt-cure it for about a week. ideally you want one that hardens your arteries just from being in the same zipcode as it.

then, oak or apple smoke it for a day. maybe two.

once you can't stand the anticipation any longer, cook it in your preferred manner. i like to roast mine with some madeira to baste with.

take the fattiest belly cut of pork you can get your hands on, and salt-cure it for about a week. ideally you want one that hardens your arteries just from being in the same zipcode as it.

then, oak or apple smoke it for a day. maybe two.

once you can't stand the anticipation any longer, cook it in your preferred manner. i like to roast mine with some madeira to baste with.

Nice!

I just met a local guy last week that raises pigs, cows & chickens. His pigs graze on a mountainside eating mostly walnuts, acorns and some of the produce that he grows. I will be getting a whole pig in the near future - should be pretty amazing flavor. Smoke will definitely be involved.

Nice!

I just met a local guy last week that raises pigs, cows & chickens. His pigs graze on a mountainside eating mostly walnuts, acorns and some of the produce that he grows. I will be getting a whole pig in the near future - should be pretty amazing flavor. Smoke will definitely be involved.

if you're getting a whole pig, i seriously recommend looking into doing a prosciutto style curing. maybe a whole leg.

if you have the patience and don't mind using saltpeter, it is utterly worth the effort.

i wouldn't normally promote tv chef stupidity, but an english one by the name of hugh fearnley-whittingstall wrote a book on this sort of thing; he raised a pig, had it slaughtered, and used the lot.

if you can get the blood as well, make black pudding / blood sausage. mmmyum. :)

I don't mind saltpeter, it's not like I eat it every day. Everything in moderation right? I'll probably do a few sausages, a pate or 2, some smoke, some dry cure. I'm really looking forward to snout to tail charcuterie.

And yes, Hugh is the real deal. I also don't care for most of the tv chefs but Hugh really goes the distance. His book is great. It's one of the few that I've read that touches on the ethics of eating meat. He doesn't dance around the issue. He has his beliefs and sticks to them - very respectable, imo.

I made blood sausage years ago and effing loved it. There's a Polish meat shop nearby that uses whole animals to make their sausages, roasts, etc - one of the items being blood sausage. Soooooooo good and underappreciated.

• 7 months later...

Beginning of summer and the old gas barbecue is almost dead.

I've seen good reviews on charcoal barbecue but I'm hesitating to give away the convenience of gas.

I was looking at the Weber Performer (best of both world: charcoal with a bit of help from gas) anyone has tried it ?

was one of the great "hot dog" longboard/noserider shapes of the mid to latter '60's. Wide plan shape, usually a 2" balsa stringer, and the signature "hatchet" skeg.

Manual propulsion only. (No gas). Never got to try one but still offered, I think by Dewey's sons.

By the way, how is the surf in Quebec?

BB :cool:

200 lbs of Kingsford + 45 lbs of propane . . . should be just enough to fuel the 5 Webers through the summer. I will post a photo of the patio soon.

Added on a couple of cast iron grates for proper "searing" and heat retention; IMO mo betta!! http://www.amazon.com/Seasoned-Cooking-Surface-Modular-Grills/dp/B004BRNUIC

Planning to use the pizza stone on one of the grills this weekend http://www.redskygrilling.com/

Wild salmon season is on! This is one of the recipes I use (Kingly Salmon) and I do not baste http://homecooking.about.com/od/fishrecipes/r/blfish15.htm

Anyone on the board dry-age their own steaks? Or, has anyone invested the money in dry-aged steaks and then had success at grilling them at home? I'd sure like the idea of dry-aging my own meats instead of paying one of the big online companies to process and ship some to me. Big Money, that is.

Alton Brown did a 'Good Eats' where he showed how to do it at home (dry-age). Another one he tackled was gyros (yee-rows) with all of the accoutrements.

Mark

http://ask-a-butcher.newsvine.com/_news/2008/11/14/2111399-aging-beef-at-home

When buying beef, I prefer to purchase from my local meat counter / butcher and select the individual cuts of "Certified Angus Beef".

For great burgers, try grinding your own at home. I usually start with a CAB chuck roast. Select a well marbled cut and don't trim too lean as you need some fat for flavor and binding. I use either a Kitchen Aide grinder attachment or a dicing blade in a food processor. Safety questions surround commercial ground beef, think e-coli.

Check out the shockumentary film "FOOD Inc", here's a trailer http://www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc/?gclid=CIeI0JX9lqkCFcW8KgodIhWnwQ the full film is scheduled to re-broadcast on PBS's "POV" on Aug 9, 2011.

"Food Inc" is also available instantly on Netflix.