Note to New Members ×

USASA Nationals GS

Donek

I know next to nothing about snowboard racing, but I'm surprised that all of the top level competitors aren't wearing speed suits? Does it not make a difference for snowboarding? As a cyclist, fast clothing and helmets are considered low hanging fruit -- free speed. Not so for snowboard racers?

Killer pics, btw, Sean.

I know next to nothing about snowboard racing, but I'm surprised that all of the top level competitors aren't wearing speed suits? Does it not make a difference for snowboarding? As a cyclist, fast clothing and helmets are considered low hanging fruit -- free speed. Not so for snowboard racers?

Killer pics, btw, Sean.

They're too cool for speed suits. In BX, they've "outlawed" speed suits. Stupid IMO. Supposed to be for the image of the sport or some crap like that.

Killer pics, btw, Sean.

This is the USASA nats. No points towards Olympics or anything "Big" like that. This pretty much just counts as a practice day for most of these Open Class guys and gals with a payout for the top three. Essentially for them it is a "fun race" although I heard 1st place got $1000. Darren Ratcliff got first in GS and is in a speedsuit. Alexa Loo got first in GS and is not in a speedsuit.

Ink

Lots of fun racing at copper, i saw more kids in hardboots this year then ever before! Sports growing.

Speed suit where winners that day, Darren had not worn one in 2 years, It was gusting up to 30mph straight up the hill.

I was surprised to see Darren in a speed suit. he usually races in tighter fitting pants and a tighter jacket. After all that traveling he did this winter he needed that $1000. it's not as bad wearing a suit in the warm spring weather.

Ive got the inside scoop on Darren Because he is my younger brother. He had a great season, I'm crazy happy for him!!

Great racing up at the GS, all week long. Huge thanks to Fin for coming up with some swag for the Junior and Youth men and women so we could do an exhibition KO for those groups. I think all the kids had blast doing like the open class does, and knowing that that is the future for them.

-Noah

Excellent work as usual Sean.

Thanks Jack. I had some problems on the longer end with that Sigma 50-500mm lens. I think it's earned a permanent place at home when I shoot snowboarding. It just doesn't cut it for me. The 70-200 with a DX chip (1.5crop factor) really makes the perfect setup.

Rider #2 in the Burton speed suit looks like he's using Lange Fr100 Freestyle's-:eek:the lower yellow shell looks like the model that Pinnaferrina/Lange did. Haven't seen anyone using those. I tried using my Banshees and I am impressed if that's what he's riding in

those are last seasons Kryptons

• 1 month later...
What body are you using? is that a Nicon? looks like nicon color .really sharp crisp shooting .....great photos....

These were shot with a D700 and Sigma 50-500. I find the D300 and 70-200 combo works a bit better. I just picked up the 200-400 f4 VR. At some point I might take it on the hill, but it's a beast. The lens bag is bigger than my camera pack that will hold 2 bodies and several lenses. Should be great fun for wildlife and sports though.

Are you sure it isn't binding flex? You can sorta see it in my signature (to a much much much lesser extent) but the soles are definitely not parallel to the board like they are when they are simply mounted up. Maybe it's a good demonstration of how powerful these racers are, that one in particular is quite a bit smaller than I, and using much stiffer bindings and getting quite a bit of flex out of the bindings. The only issue with that theory is there is no decamber in the board at that point in the turn..Damn!

Are you sure it isn't binding flex? You can sorta see it in my signature (to a much much much lesser extent) but the soles are definitely not parallel to the board like they are when they are simply mounted up. Maybe it's a good demonstration of how powerful these racers are, that one in particular is quite a bit smaller than I, and using much stiffer bindings and getting quite a bit of flex out of the bindings. The only issue with that theory is there is no decamber in the board at that point in the turn..Damn!

Fact, looking @ Rear Foot;

1. SOLE BLOCK line is "Paralel" with Soles.--> No flex this section

2. "Gap" between SOLE BLOCK & BASE PLATE --> STANDARD version; SOLE BLOCK sit right on top BASE PLATE (won't see any gap).

3."Gap" seems NOT Paralel with SOLE BLOCK, looks smaller Forward Side--> SOLE BLOCK "Rotate" on it's Longitudinal...or just an ilusion

4. BASE PLATE twist/rotate on its Longitudinal--> BASE PLATE "attached" to a Hangle/Vist Plate or maybe HFP.

NOTICED: Toe BAIL in RED Color? STANDARD TD3 in Alum color

Comment...BLueB/nils/*Ace*/TVR or maybe Fin?

Cheers

Roy

Note:

1. 2 season past, I did over (or @least I tried) flex my TD2 on a steep slope--> RESULT Rip Forward T-insert screw off from my Oxygen & bend one of the wing CANT/DISK

2. This Jan'09 similar case RESULT broken ankle :( .Boots wasn't buckle tight though, I guess my ankle became over flex:freak3:

Fact, looking @ Rear Foot;

1. SOLE BLOCK line is "Paralel" with Soles.--> No flex this section

2. "Gap" between SOLE BLOCK & BASE PLATE --> STANDARD version; SOLE BLOCK sit right on top BASE PLATE (won't see any gap).

3."Gap" seems NOT Paralel with SOLE BLOCK, looks smaller Forward Side--> SOLE BLOCK "Rotate" on it's Longitudinal...or just an ilusion

4. BASE PLATE twist/rotate on its Longitudinal--> BASE PLATE "attached" to a Hangle/Vist Plate or maybe HFP.

NOTICED: Toe BAIL in RED Color? STANDARD TD3 in Alum color

Comment...BLueB/nils/*Ace*/TVR or maybe Fin?

Cheers

Roy

Note:

1. 2 season past, I did over (or @least I tried) flex my TD2 on a steep slope--> RESULT Rip Forward T-insert screw off from my Oxygen & bend one of the wing CANT/DISK

2. This Jan'09 similar case RESULT broken ankle :( .Boots wasn't buckle tight though, I guess my ankle became over flex:freak3:

That's what I was getting at. I thought you meant it looked like he was using a lot of cant.