Note to New Members ×

new hard boot design

Michael Pukas

Board.

In Jack's most excellent thread on rocker on carving boards, TheTruth posted a comment about how ski race boot design has evolved w/ race ski designs that now have rocker.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25520&page=3 post #75 - great post BTW!

He asked - and I ask as well - do we need a new hard snowboard boot design to be able to fully access what new these new school metal rockered dual radius tapered boards have to offer?

I've been ranting over the last 10 yrs about SB hard boots and the tongue design vs a wrap shell. The AF - now Track - was the last big innovation in shell design and it's now 10 yrs old, and the UPZ isn't really that different, just stiffer. But the bottom line is they seem to work for most folks. I've often said you could take a high end free ski or a stiff ski mountaineering boot w/ a walk-forward lean mechanism and modify the sole for plates and be good to go. But do we now need something more specific? Why are many racers currently riding the Dalbello boots?

At this point I'm not sure how - or if - SB hard boot designs design need to be updated to take full advantage of what the new boards offer. Do we need to ride them differently than old school shaped glass boards? I say bring back the Burton Fire, make it out of Pebax plastic, and have Fin make the BTS walk-modeable and we're good to go. But is there more??? :confused:

I have heard that boot molds cost something stratospheric like $20,000 per shell size. I wouldn't count on anyone tossing out their tooling for this market any time soon.

But as long as we're dreaming, I'd want a 0 forward lean option, and a flat sole platform.

Pukas-its a powder day and for christ sakes I hope your going riding. Seeing as your free time currently allows wonderment into the world of a new hard boot, start sketchin and see what you come up with. Might be able to come up with the next best thing whatever that may be. I going to try out my new boots, bust em right on a fat pow day in the trees. I love snow.

You can go on dreaming about new Burton boots ... I sometimes do it myself :D ... BUT ... as I said before the molds have been destroyed!!! Just like the molds of the Northwave boots ... And I doubt that anyone would build them up from scratch again ... considering the numbers Jack posted ...

But maybe somebody else will dare a new development. That would be great!

The boot of my dreams:

- adjustable forward and lateral flex

- full lean option

- walk mode and bts

- interchangeable soles for ski/SB/AT compatible with intec heels

- option to reduce / increase the number of buckles

- booster strap

Everything should be interchangeable.

Only a basic shell form that suits most purposes needs a costly mold. All the plugins will fit any size and can be outsourced (funny it reminds me stg).

I hear that Bruce Vasarva is working on a custom hardboot. You take a plaster mold of your feet and lower legs, and he will custom build the boot for your anatomy, weight, preferred bindings, and riding style. The construction will be a hand-laid carbon fiber/kevlar construction so the boots will be very light. Buckles will be titanium, and he is also researching and testing magnesium and beryllium alloys to further reduce weight. Forward/aft and lateral flex and cant will be fully adjustable on the fly through a revolutionary electro-viscous damping system in which the stiffness and damping is varied by an electric current powered by a small watch battery. Since the shell is molded to fit your foot, the liner can be very thin, resulting in very compact outer dimensions. Revolutionary materials will ensure that the thin liners are warm, and there will also be an option for an integrated heating system.

The boot will be called Lirpa Loof.

heh, I was just reading earlier today that prototyping molds for cast metal has gotten a lot cheaper with the newer 3d printers

I assume this is applicable to boots too if plastics need a similar process.......

jon mcginnis formerly of identity snowboards is working with 3d modeling and printing for his aircraft bus. crazy things are possible and even easy with the 3d printer.:biggthump

ask that man if he wants to develop a hard boot!

We need to get Jack Charlton to deisgn a new boot for us.

http://www.makoreels.com/

See Fin - fly reels are way cool!!! :lol:

The intent of the post was more towards the performance end of things rather than the goodies that would make boots more user friendly when not being driven. I'd like better flat soles and a walkable BTS too.

When I rode my old Fire's a couple days earlier this year, I felt so connected and in control of the board. Now w/ the 700's, I've gotten used to them, but still don't feel quite that same sweet spot. Hard for to say why - I'd have to ride them more back to back - especially w/ the TD3's (I only rode the Fire's on TD1's).