Note to New Members ×

!73cm. Prior 11m SC 8.5 WW?

glenn

I've got 2008 173 which is 11m scr, ww 19.5 and it's one of my favs! If you liked narrower boards, I dond see why you wouldn't go down to 18.5. However, Prior sometimes tends to just increase or decrese width without changing the core thickness, which results in stiffer or softer board. One could argue that's still "factory" flex, so clarify with him.

I've got 2008 173 which is 11m scr, ww 19.5 and it's one of my favs! If you liked narrower boards, I dond see why you wouldn't go down to 18.5. However, Prior sometimes tends to just increase or decrese width without changing the core thickness, which results in stiffer or softer board. One could argue that's still "factory" flex, so clarify with him.

Yes Blue...They would, as it was explained to me, cut a section out of the center of the board and rejoin making the width 18.5, leaving the core thickness as original spec.

I would imagine that the flex would be softer.

My reasoning,narrower WW quicker edge to edge...lower value SC decreased turn radius. Flex is really the question I guess...

Buddy, I'm pretty sure you'll be very happy with the results. Chris and his gang of carving thugs make some sweet boards. On the plus side, as it gets narrower it gets torsionally stiffer.

later,

Dave R.

Good point...Hadn't thought about torsional stiffness. My thoughts were: 1) quicker edge to edge. 2) Shorter turn radius. 3) slightly softer flex. 4) Better grip due to increased effective edge (compared to 169cm. which I own now).

Add the torsional stiffness...M-M-M-M-M...Could be :1luvu:

all this custom work gets pricey.

the best and cheapest custom work I've had done comes from another canuck.

I like my wcr but was the most expensive board I have by a long shot.

not saying don't do it but I am saying that it gets really pricey and the results can be wacky.

173cm 11 scr? Thought they were 13 in '08...My 169cm WCR is 11 scr and is a great ride (part of my thinking for the 173cm 11scr).

if you hate it, send it my way. I like skinny boards, esp. metal ones :1luvu:

O.K....It's a deal. If there's anything I don't like about it, it's yours. I'll just box it up...You'll have to give me your mailing address...No charge of course :)

all this custom work gets pricey.

the best and cheapest custom work I've had done comes from another canuck.

I like my wcr but was the most expensive board I have by a long shot.

not saying don't do it but I am saying that it gets really pricey and the results can be wacky.

Wacky??? In what respect?

sometimes the flex comes out wrong or the boards just don't come out right on the first round for other reasons. subtleties I guess.

not sure if it's because they don't do a ton of one offs or they just do what ever someone asks even though it might not work well instead of telling them they really don't think that's a good idea.

I've had people say that they went custom and it really did not work out well.

I've been lucky in that respect all mine have. my prior came out a touch softer than I wanted it to but still is a incredible board..

cost me a friggin' arm and a leg though and I don't feel that the board was as fine tuned to me as I would have gotten elsewhere for like $300 less.

waist width does not affect turn radius.

what size are your feet? I don't recommend stance angles greater than 60 degrees anymore, but it's personal preference.

27.5 mondo...Have a Donek 18 ww and seems to be o.k. Mainly concerned about flex characteristics...

The specs you are listing sound pretty much like the 2009 WCR specs, except for a slightly narrower width. I have a 2009 WCR-metal 173, standard specs. It has an 11m sidecut and a 19.5cm waist.

The biggest difference with the 2010 shape would be the longer effective edge for a given length. A 2010 169 would should ride similarly to my 2009 173.

have you ridden a metal board?

the majority of people like them in wider flavors.

myself included

Yep...I have a WCR Metal 169cm '08 model. Love that one. Was just trying to get some different ride characteristics. Have never ridden a narrow metal but thought process was-"Like the 18 ww Donek at 171 length so why not a Metal 173cm with narrow ww?"

Think the only ones going in that direction is Virus and hesitate to do business with company on another continent...NOT, of course, any comment on Virus quality. Just logistics of distance.

The specs you are listing sound pretty much like the 2009 WCR specs, except for a slightly narrower width. I have a 2009 WCR-metal 173, standard specs. It has an 11m sidecut and a 19.5cm waist.

The biggest difference with the 2010 shape would be the longer effective edge for a given length. A 2010 169 would should ride similarly to my 2009 173.

Brad...I must have gotten confused on specs of previous years' models...I know my '08 169cm is 11m side cut and I thought 173cm was 12m.

The '09 spec 169cm was 11m also.

The spec for 2010 is 173cm 12m scr according to Prior info. All 19.5 ww.

Brad...I must have gotten confused on specs of previous years' models...I know my '08 169cm is 11m side cut and I thought 173cm was 12m.

The '09 spec 169cm was 11m also.

The spec for 2010 is 173cm 12m scr according to Prior info. All 19.5 ww.

Look at the regular WCR specs. The 169 is 10.6m and the 173 is 11m. I'm pretty sure the WCR-metal specs were the same prior to the new 2010 shapes.

Look at the regular WCR specs. The 169 is 10.6m and the 173 is 11m. I'm pretty sure the WCR-metal specs were the same prior to the new 2010 shapes.

That's where the confusion lies...I had never looked at the WCR non metal. Those specs are different 169cm 10.6 you're right. The 169cm metals have an 11 scr same as '08 and '09...Thanks for clearing that up for me...

The 173cm metal this year is 12 scr according to Prior's spec. sheet.

Don't know why difference between Metal and Non metal...Maybe because of the metal? :p

i'd save the $ & just go stock 173; 1m & 1cm, isn't going to make a massive difference in the real world. it's going to be a kickass deck regardless.

XY...Probably right...I know I should just go with the flow but I'm, well, anal ;)

Might change the entire direction of board making with this build :). Or end up with a Frankenstien...Either way it'll be a conversation piece :biggthump.

That's where the confusion lies...I had never looked at the WCR non metal. Those specs are different 169cm 10.6 you're right. The 169cm metals have an 11 scr same as '08 and '09...Thanks for clearing that up for me...

The 173cm metal this year is 12 scr according to Prior's spec. sheet.

Don't know why difference between Metal and Non metal...Maybe because of the metal? :p

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the metal and non-metal WCRs had identical specs until the new 2010 metal shapes came out.

I have a 2009 WCR metal 173. It has an 11m scr, 19.5cm waist, and 146cm effective edge. I like it a lot, and the 11m scr seems perfect for the kind of riding I do. If I were going to order a new 2010 model I think I'd go for the 169. It actually has a longer effective edge than my 2009 173, the same scr, but less overall length. I'm not sure which width I'd choose, though. The 19.5 width gives me angles of 60/55 with my 26.5 boots, which I find comfortable, but I'm also comfortable on my 21.4 wide 4WD, which gives me angles of 54/51.