Note to New Members ×

Hey tuning Gurus, 1x3 seems a bit extreme

Bobby Buggs

BB

I am still riding the edge that came from Bruce. He indicated it was 90* (0/0) and it has held on everything. I just touch it up every couple sessions wit a gummy stone and no problems. I may get it tuned for next season, but why bother if it is slicing and holding on East coast ice.

Greg

even a small hand cheap DAKINE hand tumer will help with removing burrs and rolled edges from side sliping on crud. it has a 90 degree and 88 degree edge on both sides of it.

I do my boards after each day of crap conditions just to keep it in shape. Some are worse than others. Taking out a few burrs is easy, letting it go and doing the "serrated saw" entire side is a bear and should go to a pro shop that can put an accurate even edge angle on them.

* Be sure to tell them: DO NOT DE TUNE THE NOSE AND TAIL! I had a toolboi do that to one of my boards as if I was a park rider and wanted to jib rails......

:mad:

I just put a 2 degree base on several of my boards. Was going to do a 2 on the side as well but couldn't find the guide. Went 1 degree and went out and had a ball. Absolutely ripped it up and only blew out when I got tired and lazy. Of course I not an ice coaster.

That was on the burner 197 with a fresh stone grind. :1luvu::1luvu::1luvu:

Somedays I can ride this board really well on cat tracks and a lot of times I can't. just seemed to want to wander a bit. hard to find center.

After the 2 base, the thing is like a rock. Annnnddd it was super easy to get off the edge when sometimes you get to feeling a little locked in, with this I could rip it until I wanted the release and then I was off. Ver nice.

My 1/2 cents worth of input. And don't let them detune your board. I just did a tiny bit up by the nose - maybe the first three inches and none on the tail. fkna awesome.

Sure 0 x 0 works fine. It's a matter of preference. Some people like an edge bevel some don't. Some like the edges a little sharper, but it's not "extreme". If you hit something hard enough or skid (on ice) enough to lose the edge at 1x3, it will do the same to a 0 x 0.

If your already running 1x3, I wouldn't try to go back to 0 x0, you'll waste more edge to get it back to 0 x 0 than it's worth. If you are really worried about durability, the I would recommend "progressively" tunning your board back to 1x1. Leave the base at 1* and then go with 2* on the side the next time you need a tune. Then cut it back to 1* on the following tune. Then you'll be at 1x1 which is 90*. You'll be maximizing the life of the edge that way. It would take me at least 2-3 seasons before I would need to put 2 full tunes on my skis or boards and I ski the same pair of skis almost every day in the winter.