Note to New Members ×

'just a heads up' on Head Boots with BTS

jp1

I was just cleaning up my boots and looking things over :eek: and Panic Struck ! I thought I was going to have a coronary. I noticed that the heel of my Left boot shell, where 'Lower Bracket' of the BTS attaches (via the 5mm pin) was split on both sides ! Of coarse I instantly thought the worse. Reminding myself the BTS was not designed for the Head Boots, I calmly started to remove the BTS from the boot to diagnose. It was then I remembered (questioning in my mind, during installation) an interference between the 'Lower Bracket' and the area that it sits in.

The radius of the 'Lower Bracket' puts pressure on the plastic and had created splits in the plastic about 5/16" (8mm) long on each side of the bracket. After looking it over better the Panic subsided, and I determined it really 'shouldn't' be an issue. I decided to cut out the area (where the splits originated) to keep bracket from exerting any more pressure on the plastic and possibly breakage down the road. I ended up cutting a notch out 5/16" (8mm) down and 5/8" (16.5mm) wide, that gives the 'Lower Bracket' clearance to function properly. The Right boot was barely showing any sign of a split on one side, but I decided to 'relieve' it the same amount as the left boot. Obviously the way the boot is molded comes into play with material thicknesses. You may (or may not) have to go more or less. I found in the past that a 'cheap (breakaway blade) razor knife from 'the Dollar Store' is an Excellent tool for working on the boot plastic, cuts like butter, and that's what I used (very simple).

Sorry, I wish I could post pictures instead of this description, but can't.

This is something I think everyone with the BTS on Head boots should at least look at ( but then again, I'm known to be 'a little anal'). From experience, I know that they (Head boots) are all not exactly the same, and hopefully others will not experience this, but I believe some will find it to be true? I feel it 'could' potentially develop into a problem down the road if not attended to, therefore wanted to post it here for others to be aware of.

If anyone is doing a New Installation, check into this while installing to avoid a split ever starting. Hope this helps someone, because the BTS system is sweet.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just cleaning up my boots and looking things over :eek: and Panic Struck ! I thought I was going to have a coronary. I noticed that the heel of my Left boot shell, where 'Lower Bracket' of the BTS attaches (via the 5mm pin) was split on both sides ! Of coarse I instantly thought the worse. Reminding myself the BTS was not designed for the Head Boots, I calmly started to remove the BTS from the boot to diagnose. It was then I remembered (questioning in my mind, during installation) an interference between the 'Lower Bracket' and the area that it sits in.

The radius of the 'Lower Bracket' puts pressure on the plastic and had created splits in the plastic about 5/16" (8mm) long on each side of the bracket. After looking it over better the Panic subsided, and I determined it really 'shouldn't' be an issue. I decided to cut out the area (where the splits originated) to keep bracket from exerting any more pressure on the plastic and possibly breakage down the road. I ended up cutting a notch out 5/16" (8mm) down and 5/8" (16.5mm) wide, that gives the 'Lower Bracket' clearance to function properly. The Right boot was barely showing any sign of a split on one side, but I decided to 'relieve' it the same amount as the left boot. Obviously the way the boot is molded comes into play with material thicknesses. You may (or may not) have to go more or less. I found in the past that a 'cheap (breakaway blade) razor knife from 'the Dollar Store' is an Excellent tool for working on the boot plastic, cuts like butter, and that's what I used (very simple).

Sorry, I wish I could post pictures instead of this description, but can't.

This is something I think everyone with the BTS on Head boots should at least look at ( but then again, I'm known to be 'a little anal'). From experience, I know that they (Head boots) are all not exactly the same, and hopefully others will not experience this, but I believe some will find it to be true? I feel it 'could' potentially develop into a problem down the road if not attended to, therefore wanted to post it here for others to be aware of.

If anyone is doing a New Installation, check into this while installing to avoid a split ever starting. Hope this helps someone, because the BTS system is sweet.

I've noticed the same on my own. I haven't looked at it very closely since I noticed it but it seems to me that it comes from having the lower bracket press against the heel during hard heelside turns. At first glance id didn't look like a big deal. Probably the best way to prevent this would be to shave a small wedge shaped bit of material off the top of the heel connector plastic on the heel, such that the lower bracket does not bear down on the top of that ledge so hard. I'll try and post pics later if I remember.

And yeah, the BTS is sweet, despite being an unsupported boot, I could never imagine continuing to ride my heads without the BTS on them. Night. And. Day.

You made me look to my boots ...

I have no sign of any splitting, can you post a pic of that ?

For the lower bracket, I did not use the Bomber pins, I kept the Head pin.

Yup, me neither, but would like to see a photo so I'm sure of what your talking about.

queequeg, That's exactly what I had on the one boot, down both sides :eek:.

I cut out where it had cracked and across at the top of the pin (pretty much same as BlueB's picture) to give clearance and eliminate any future problem :biggthump.

big canuck, yes essentially you will want to end up taking a 'notch' out where the 'Lower Bracket' fits into the shell. Mine looks almost exactly like BlueB's picture. As I originally stated, the cut out is about 5/16" in height and 5/8" wide. The bottom of my cutout is just above the top of the pin (which looks to be the same as BlueB's).

big canuck, " Does that change you forward lean at all? It seems the angle wold be steeper as the bracket no longer sits on the boot on the shoulder but more the bottom of the BTS bit? Does that make sense?"

I'm not positive :confused:, exactly what you are asking !?

No, cutting out the area of interference does NOT change 'your forward lean', or anything else. All it does is eliminate the 'Lower Bracket' hitting the plastic of the shell ( interference) which creates the cracks / splits. The pin is what attaches the 'Lower Bracket' to the boot shell. You do not change the pin location, you simply cut away a thin sliver of plastic in the area shown above. Also, this does not effectively take away any strength, since the pin is still in the thicker plastic areas, on both sides, (hope this explains it) :confused:

big canuck, yes essentially you will want to end up taking a 'notch' out where the 'Lower Bracket' fits into the shell. Mine looks almost exactly like BlueB's picture. As I originally stated, the cut out is about 5/16" in height and 5/8" wide. The bottom of my cutout is just above the top of the pin (which looks to be the same as BlueB's).

Hey JP, how 'bout you post up some pics of your modded boots? I just went to Lowes with your parts list (VERY helpful, btw) and I'm ready to start cutting and drilling, but the more pics I have the better.

shawdoggy, "Hey JP, how 'bout you post up some pics of your modded boots?" I wish I could just to make things easier to follow, but I am a 'computer :freak3: illiterate'. In all honesty though all of the information & pictures are available here already. I basically followed Arnuad's :biggthump information and pictures / diagrams to do the actual modifications / cutting. I did mine in steps and each step made them feel better than the last. It's like anything else in life, the first time you do it you are a little :eek: apprehensive. But once you get in there and tear everything apart you realize their is No Rocket Science here :cool: and just do it.

Searching 'Head Stratos Pro Modifications' , or click on 'Arnuad' or 'jp1' and check out their posts in reference to Head boots, should bring up references to the pictures you need. Just pay attention as you go. The Notch at the bottom of the 'Lower Bracket' of the BTS, is a perfect example of something I missed during original installation. The only reason I posted about it was to try to help others that may be in the same situation. If their is anything I can do to help you with I will do my best, but posting pictures :( unfortunately isn't one of them.

" There's one thing better than learning from you own mistakes, learning from someone else's "! :biggthump

Here is an example of the cracking:

This is what Dremels are for- just make a cut to head off the cracks. BTS stands for (B)etter (T)han (S)lamming (your face on the ground) which is how I felt before I installed them.:) Keep on keeping on.

I don't have BTS but everyone who has a pair endorses them. I own Head Stratos Pros and the Bomber store says they won't fit. I am pretty handy with tools and modifying plastic so should I go ahead and get a pair and do the modifications (they'e on sale for $60 now)?

I don't have BTS but everyone who has a pair endorses them. I own Head Stratos Pros and the Bomber store says they won't fit. I am pretty handy with tools and modifying plastic so should I go ahead and get a pair and do the modifications (they'e on sale for $60 now)?

John,

Order the BTS kit and 4 Raichle long pins. You will have enlarge the bottom holes in the boot, drill new holes for the top of the BTS kit to attach and make the notch shown by BlueB. Total time to make the BTS mod will be ~20 minutes.

If you like the feel of the boots in walk mode, then you'll probably like the BTS.

From D.T.

Order the BTS kit and 4 Raichle long pins. You will have enlarge the bottom holes in the boot, drill new holes for the top of the BTS kit to attach and make the notch shown by BlueB. Total time to make the BTS mod will be ~20 minutes.

I'm not sure about this one, I did keep the Head original pin for the lower pin.

This way I did not have to increase the hole.

Anyone who did like me or everybody did use a Raichle pin for the lower pin ?