Note to New Members ×

Any hints for riding a platter lift with a torn rotator cuff?

Cindy Kleh

I have to race at Howelson HIll on Sunday and have heard horror stories about their Poma lift. Any suggestions for getting up the hill with one arm? it's my left shoulder that's screwed up and I ride regular.

As though riding Poma lifts weren't bad enough. I personally have never gotten all the way up a Poma successfully, but here is what I would try:

Maybe instead of threading the platter (?) between your left arm and body thread it through your left arm and body, across your back and back through your right arm and body - such that the platter is sticking out in front of your right arm and torso (not sure how uncomfortable that would be, though Pomas are seldom comfortable anyway). This way the lift is still tugging on the correct side of your body, but it is not pulling on the bad shoulder. The problem I would see with doing that would be that it might cause your body to twist somewhat and the cable may get somewhat uncomfortable against your back/armpit on the left side?

Not sure if that's a good idea or not but its what I would probably try first.

Otherwise: maybe see if you can find a cheapo pair of short skis and use them to ride up in, carrying your board. I know some of those short skis use non-release bindings that you can fit snowboard hardboots into ... not sure how easy it would be to find a pair at throwaway costs though. Not sure how you'd get them down though ... obviously you don't want to carry them down the course :-p

Or don't hold the pole at all.

Both feet strapped in, no need to hold the pole.

Oh, and BTW. "Poma" (Pomagalski SA) are merely one manufacturer of ski lifts, including, but not exclusive to, button lifts, t-bars, fixed and detatchable grip chairlifts, gondolas, funiculars and cable cars. Always makes me laugh when I hear americans talking about "riding the poma" - all our lifts are made by Poma or one of their subsidiaries.

From riding the North Face platter at CB years ago, the most important thing is the timing of when you go so you don't get "sprung".

The operators are not always your friend here, as I found out the hard way.

Once you get going I don't remember having to hold on or anything.

Good luck.

Why would the platter be through her arm? It goes between the legs. You need quite a bit of support by holding the pole, which is usually with your leading arm, which is where she will have trouble. My only advice is to hold on with your other arm and hope for the best.

I've never had much luck with them between my legs (though I haven't had much luck with them at all) but I've always lasted longer with them under my armpit.

I've never had much luck with them between my legs (though I haven't had much luck with them at all) but I've always lasted longer with them under my armpit.
The only poma I've ridden these last few years services the summit at Lake Louise. At one point the pitch is so steep they line the trail with knotted ropes so people have a chance at self-arrest if they fall off the poma. I don't think I'd care to get hauled up that steep a hill where the pull point is so high above my centre of gravity. Even if I had enough arm strength, I don't think my back could take it.

As far as back leg in, I've found that doesn't work for me. You need to squeeze your thighs together to keep the button locked in, more awkward to do that clipped in than not.

Thanks for the ideas. I tore the rotator cuff a week and a half ago at a slopestyle competition (tis better to land flat on a jump than to knuckle it) and have been able to clean houses, work 2 catering events, and on Sunday, race a GS and a slalom @ Copper (a silver and a gold in a field of four).

It hurts like heck, but racing was a blast. I haven't paid my entry fee yet for this Sunday, but I could shine on the races. I'm prequalified from last year's Nationals. But the number two alpine racer in my age group is also in my series (and lives about 20 mintues away from me). We were .07 seconds apart in the dual GS (she won). It's going to be pretty hard to talk sense into myself and not race this weekend. I haven't had many chances to race gates. How much beer would it take to talk one of the ski patrol into 'biling me up there?

The only poma I've ridden these last few years services the summit at Lake Louise. At one point the pitch is so steep they line the trail with knotted ropes so people have a chance at self-arrest if they fall off the poma. I don't think I'd care to get hauled up that steep a hill where the pull point is so high above my centre of gravity. Even if I had enough arm strength, I don't think my back could take it.

YOW! I think I'd probably just skip that Poma alltogether! Unless there was like ... a pot of gold at the top tended to by scantily clad snow nymphs pouring free beer ... or something.

Some of the best runs in Louise are off that poma, but after 2 laps I'm usually looking for a chair. It used to be a t-bar which was a little easier. All the terrain is expert, and Louise keeps it as a drag lift to discourage the idiots. The lift line at Summit is full of the hard-core wearing old gore-tex and duct-taped boots. I hope they never change it.

Cindy, you'll be fine if you take Neil's advice and do the between the legs thing. Then you can use either arm to grab the pole and balance with. They don't tend to be that scary. The board might want to track a bit, and if you let yourself run up out of the packed path it can get a bit dicey. But most of them are so slow you can put a foot down if you lose balance, and still stay upright. DON'T strap both feet in - just let the back one rest against the back binding, and then if you do overbalance you can usually skate a couple of steps and step back on to the board.

I managed to make it to the top of Ohau as a beginner when they had the longest platter in the Southern Hemisphere ... 2.5km of uphill, along the flat and then up again. Morrisey at Sun Peaks is fun too ... that goes up and then pulls a right angle, that's always good for tossing off the noobs.

Ah, platter lifts and rope tows - those were the days.

1. The platter goes between your legs. They have a curved end, that can accomodate the offset pull needed for a snowboarder. They load up the back of your front leg though and hurt pretty good.

The only question for a snowboarder is both feet in or back foot loose.

Many snowboarders ride platter lift with both feet in, but then you'll have a slight problem getting the platter in between your legs and then back out at the top of the lift. People do it. if you fall though this is more likely to drag you up the hill until you can roll twist the platter out from between your legs.

Rear foot out. You have to take the pull load with just your front leg. your back leg doesn't add any strength. But getting in and out is easier, and if you fall over for some reason there is less chance you'll get drug up the hill by the platter.

Something I've done on steeper "Poma" lifts.

Riding regular, I keep the rear foot out. I then rotate my hips so that my right foot is just slightly behind my leading foot (kinda like when you are skating to the lift). I then put the button between my legs and essentially drag my right foot along (like it's got a ski underneath). You need to pay attention to what's happening with your balance and where the board is tracking, but it aleviates some of the pain from lead-leg button syndrome.

Something else I've seen; get an old ski pole. Heat it up with a blow-torch and bend the end around like a cane. Then wrap it with something gummy or rubbery (gel pad for road-bike grips...or even duct tape). Use this to grip the pole with your "good" arm across your body. This would let you stay aligned and not have to use your lead/bad arm for pulling.

Good luck, there are options and I'm with you, go ride, and kick ass.

-Gord