Note to New Members ×

AT boot for riding in plates ?

DjulezD

Any recommendation on AT boots for plates ? Primary use would be on a powder/all mountain board but carving on groomers might also be involved. I currently have Raichle 225s that I use mostly with the yellow tongue. I guess they have the right flex for me as far as carving is concerned, but I am looking for something Dynafit compatible with a Vibram sole. Length is not really a problem since I am a 27 MP and usually downsize to 26.5 or even 26 on softboots.

Are you going to use them to ski in also?

This year I have the new Zzeus boots from Dynafit. I'd say they're probably a bit stiff for carving. Last year I used Scarpa Spirit 3s. They would probably work well for carving. Just watch out, because there were some Spirit 3s that had issues with the Dynafit Vertical ST bindings (I know, I had some).

http://homeboyski.com/2008/12/13/new-dalbello-alpine-touring-boots-prototype/

It sounds very promising to have 3 boots in one.

ski boot, approch ski boot and carve boots.

Since the dalbello are based on the old Flexons design. Some have use the Flexons for carving with good result.

I have never tried and are temped to pick up some il Moro Boots but might hold off until the AT boots came out.

I have ski only for a day in my life but I do want to learn how to do it.

--

David

That is very promising. I am not a skier myself (last time I was probably 15, before moving to monoski and then sb) but would love to give it a try again. Small change like the DIN replacement soles on UPZ boots already show the way, but is the industry going to go that route ? It would be great.

That is very promising. I am not a skier myself (last time I was probably 15, before moving to monoski and then sb) but would love to give it a try again. Small change like the DIN replacement soles on UPZ boots already show the way, but is the industry going to go that route ? It would be great.

Yes I have young kids who ski ....so I ski with them on Rando gear and the scrapas work great. Also another interesting fact about scrapas is the the sb tongues of rachlie/deelux boots works interchangable with the scrapa tongues. When I put my sb race tongues on the scrapas it stiffens them up greatly..... if you want that?

If you use td2-3's you will need the wide front bails on them (ask fin).

Jim

post-219-141842274559_thumb.jpg

Scarpas fall apart, and fast. Exploding buckles, cant adjuster pullouts, stripped plastic straps, etc. I had 4 pairs fail in one season before demanding a refund.

Garmonts are a far better boot (although still fragile as fsck); this year's Garmonts are much better than the old ones (for starters, the rivets don't pull through, as they have started actually *gasp* using washers behind them).

Yeah, I destroy boots. The only boots I've ever managed to hang onto for long are my SB225s, and 2 pairs of Nordicas (one pair of TR9s which eventually completely fell apart under heavy duress[1], and a pair of Alpine boots that were also bombproof)

Simon

[1] Skiing 500m vertical of "almost totally grass and rock" because you can't be bothered to queue for the lift down, and "hell, it's a laugh, let's go for it", tends to overstress your boots. buggers the base on your skis, too.

I used garmont megarides, and was not happy with the ankle play in them when boarding...fine for skiing, but not comfortable for me when riding on choppy snow conditions. the scarpas were much better for ankle support but I did not like the flex profile of the spirit 3/4. I am very curious to try the Dalbello Virus AT boots when they are released as I skied in flexon comps and loved the way that they felt. I am hoping that the Dalbello Virus boot will convince me to get back on hard boots, but time will tell and I am totally in agreement with Jim that it would be nice to have an AT style boot that was intec/fintec compatible.

cheers,

sandy

I used scrapa spirits this last week for a yurt tour in Wallowas in oregon. They worked great, no blisters after 5 days and are way softer than the deelux indy's that I ride normally. Now when will they make a at boot that intec compatable?

Jim, looks like you had a great trip. Taking the skis and tanker looks like it was the right choice.

cheers,

sandy

I picked up a pair of Scarpa F1s for my splitboard. It is a unique boot, super light, and so amazing to walk in (if that matters for you). If you are heavier or want a more substantial boot, do not get the F1 without seeing it in person.

The softer AT boots that you probably want for snowboarding are pretty rare in shops. I am near Backcountry.com and got to try on a bunch of different Scarpas and Garmonts. The difference in feel and fit between different models is pretty broad. If by some chance you can find boots that you are interested in at a shop near you, go try them on.

Splitboard.com has some threads on AT boots. Check here.

Scarpas fall apart, and fast. Exploding buckles, cant adjuster pullouts, stripped plastic straps, etc. I had 4 pairs fail in one season before demanding a refund.

Garmonts are a far better boot (although still fragile as fsck); this year's Garmonts are much better than the old ones (for starters, the rivets don't pull through, as they have started actually *gasp* using washers behind them).

Yeah, I destroy boots. The only boots I've ever managed to hang onto for long are my SB225s, and 2 pairs of Nordicas (one pair of TR9s which eventually completely fell apart under heavy duress[1], and a pair of Alpine boots that were also bombproof)

Simon

[1] Skiing 500m vertical of "almost totally grass and rock" because you can't be bothered to queue for the lift down, and "hell, it's a laugh, let's go for it", tends to overstress your boots. buggers the base on your skis, too.

Yes my friends scarpas blew a buckle strap this year and he is a lightweight. They have the stupid rivets which makes the straps hard to replace??? However I do like the flex and ability to replace the tongues and with thermoflex liners they are very comfortable. I didnt like the garmonts fit and flex but almost every skier i was with rode them .

Jim, looks like you had a great trip. Taking the skis and tanker looks like it was the right choice.

cheers,

sandy

Yes Sandy you gave good advice. I would have loved to ride the the "new tanker" in some of the more manky snow down low but my 192 was excellent. I wish I had slightly longer and wider approach skiis as sidehill uptracks in soft snow still proved "challenging" as I would break through sometimes.

Buell, I had my splitboard ready just in case (older voile 173) but just couldnt give up the tanker yet. I would have rode the split if we were to get lots of new snow but it wasnt in the cards this trip. We did find the right aspects for 18" of soft new but it was very localized to north shaded areas higher up. We milked those areas :)

I will post more pics once I get all the way unpacked.

Jim

speaking of which, do the DIN heels that UPZ sells work with(fit on) other hardboot brands like head, burton, or DEELUXE boots?

I've heard that these DIN heels don't work too great since snowboard hardboots are more flexible than ski boots. therefore they dont make the best ski boots, but with a stiff snowboard hardboot like indys or HSPs, would it work well enough to use?(assuming they do in fact fit)

• 4 years later...

Lol that's a really old thread but yes a little bc kicker action. Really fun trip but sad thinking about it. Was with my friend Marty and his best friend who was killed in the bengazi attack. He was a cia agent named Glen Doughty . Really awesome guy and great skier.

I have Dynafit TLT5. They're superlight (less than 1 kilo), have tight heel area like UPZ, shorter sole, better walk mode, and one can customize flex by modding. Quite a good number of hardboot splitboarders use them with Burton race bails...

Disadvantages: durability, price, flex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk