Note to New Members ×

Any suggestions for life after a Burton Speed 165

kmagvette

I have a Speed 165 with TD2's. I am totally self taught with substantial help from the resources on this forum - thanks. I think I am at the point where I need to make the next step with respect to the board. When free riding it feels like the nose of the board over initiates, especially on toe-side. If I shift my weight back a little, then then whole board pushes a bit through the turn - get a 1->2" wide, but square, trench rather than leaving a nice clean slice in the snow. If I slow down, or make shallower turns all is well.

I also do some racing, not crazy stuff; the courses look more like decent NASTAR sets. Speeds are in the typically in the 30 mph range with moderate offsets between the gates.

I am looking for something that will be a bit more stable and speed as well as in a choppy course. I am not a super-advanced rider by any stretch of the imagination, I am riding in the East so I need something with a slalom-esque sidecut.

So, with the above in mind, any suggestions?

Slalom-sized sidecuts are not stable at high speeds. Look to a metal (greater stability) Coiler, Prior, or Donek around 170cm, and 11-12m sidecut, which is a little longer than slalom but shorter than GS.

sounds like my stub, 11 meter scr

Why not just go with the standard Coiler Schtubby X2 (171, 13.2 sidecut, pick your waist width). That'll tear up NASTAR-like courses and be a blast to freecarve on. After a brief adjustment period I doubt you will miss a SL-esque sidecut, modern Coilers are at the same time stupid easy to ride and high performance.

I miss NASTAR as they don't have any in Oregon but I would not hesitate to ride my 14.2 sidecut Coiler Classic (not all that different from a Schtubby, flex pattern is a little different) in a NASTAR course. And it's my go-to board for freecarving. We've been suffering east coast conditions here in Oregon for a few weeks (it BETTER dump tomorrow as forecast!) and it's been a champ.

I was told that the Nastar courses are pretty close to a GS style gate setup.

Tend to be a bit shorter in length also in my opinion.

They mention this also in the history of Nastar gate racing :-

'Fry envisioned another possibility. "It didn't take long for the dim bulb in my cerebrum to light up and see that simple, open-gate giant slalom races on intermediate slopes could attract hundreds of thousands of people to measure their skiing ability." '

from http://www.skiinghistory.org/nastar1.html

So, you may not need a full on slalom board. GS sized sticks are a lot of fun all over the mountain too, in my opinion.

Well, it looks like people certainly like the Coiler. I was hoping to find something from the previously enjoyed market in the $300 range; I also race three disciplines on skis, my equipment bill is hideous.

As possible alternatives, any thoughts on a 178 Free Carve Coiler or the Madd 170? I think both have a 10-11m SCR.

Thanks for advice thus far.

Well, it looks like people certainly like the Coiler. I was hoping to find something from the previously enjoyed market in the $300 range; I also race three disciplines on skis, my equipment bill is hideous.

As possible alternatives, any thoughts on a 178 Free Carve Coiler or the Madd 170? I think both have a 10-11m SCR.

Thanks for advice thus far.

Coiler over Madd every time. Hard to get someone to part with their Free carves though. I rode my 173fc for over 5 years and it's now time for a new one. Been demo'ing stuff at SES, and every one is loving coiler stuff. Another alternative is a Donek in 171 Fc shape, and easier to find I believe.

Madd....do a search on the forum about their service. heck, try to contact them direct. you'll get the idea.

Lot's of stuff coming for sale after SES, keep your eyes peeled!