Note to New Members ×

cant stand soft boots anymore???

bluesurf

I am tired of making 2-3 runs and nearly being driven to tears over the pain of riding with soft setup. I currently have a NS legacy R for powder and a NS premier. I have some old burton reactors which seem to be fairly soft and an old set of plates that aren't too stiff. will i be doing any damage to the boards with a set up like this? Are there hard setups for this sort of application. I just cant stand the pain anymore and i can't ride without carving. any ides suggestion appreciated.

NS boards have a rep for being tough, quality sticks. You won't hurt them with plates. What kinda foot pain are we talking about? I had screaming ball of foot pain when I was on softies, hardboots eliminated most/all of it, depending on the day I'm riding. Start with a setup which mimics closely what you ride now, then experiment from there. Try to not change too many things at once, you'll not know what does and does not work if you make several large wholesale changes at once.

bought a Prior Khyber for the softer days and to play in the woods.. made about 5 runs in soft boots and it was hell.

I then decided to try an old set of burton race plates with my hardboots, I ride with BTS and yellow springs all the time, on it to see how it was and it was great. Did a little powder spend a few hours in the woods and it was all great.. loved it.

There was a discussion about this a while ago about Never Summer boards being strong enough to ride with plates. Some said that the core might not be strong enough to with stand it. I rode a Never Sumer 172 t5 Premeir with Bomber plates for 1 day and did not wreck it.If you are not real heavy and don't ride real hard it might work. Best thing to do would be to get an alpine board designed for hard boots. For all mountain either Donek Axess or Prior 4wd or ATV.You could also get a Burton Alp cheap for an all mountain board. I have one and it is fun to ride. Of course you could buy a more carve specific board as well. It just depends on if you want to ride off piste or not. I would reccomend getting a board desiged for hard boots as it will carve better and hold up under forces from hard boots. It will be torsionally stiffer. I am going back to hard boots full time as well because I am afraid I am going to wreck my achlies tendon on my right foot if I continue to ride soft boots.

Some said that the core might not be strong enough to with stand it.

Easiest way to find out would be to email them and ask. NS are typically heavier built, solid wood core boards with the rep of being durable. YMMV, but most well built boards under lighter riders will last with plates. I've got a buddy that has a solid 40+ lbs on me, riding a Burton canyon with Burton plates and Scarpa's no trouble.

I went out last night with my soft boots on my Burton because one of my hard boots split in half from a big wipeout last week. I just had to get out and quench the need.

I adjusted my angles to 50/55 and did about six runs. I found alot of strain on my achilles tendon on toe side carves due to the lack of support I get from hardboots. It was still fun but never got the hair trigger feedback I get from hardboots.

Dave, I think the source of foot pain is probably different for different people. My feet never adjusted to two-strap soft bindings...and I was on them for about 12 years of fairly regular riding. It just got worse as I got older. Maybe custom footbeds would have helped. But I opted for hardboots instead, because I'm inclined more towards carving than freestyle anyway. Once I got the setup dialed in, I have absolutely no desire to go back. I can do everything that I ever wanted to do in softboots in my hard set-up, only better.

In response to the original post: Right now I'm exlusively hardbooting on freeride boards- Steepwater 164 and Prior MFR 168--with older Proflex bindings at 45/37 and Lowa AT boots--couldn't be happier. I can go all day in complete comfort long as my bum knee doesn't act up. The boards hold up fine too.

Back in 1988 I learned to snowboard at Lake Louise in soft boots. When doing long traverses on the backside of Louise, I would be in total agony in my soft set-up. I found that in order to ride, I had to really tighten down my straps on my bindings. I have flat feet, and this was very painful. The following year I bought my first hard boots. They were Kastinger mountaineering boots. The pain was gone, and I was hooked on riding in a hard set-up. I have heard others complain about the pain associated with riding in conventional snowboard boots and bindings. If you have flat feet like I do, the pain can ruin the experience. Not everybody has perfect feet...

I have flat feet, and this was very painful. Not everybody has perfect feet...

Funny, I have high insteps, and a touch of nerve trouble with the balls of my feet. I think I could ride soft boots, but I'd have at least as much money setting them up as I have in a hard boot setup. Custom footbeds, thermo liners, finding the right shell, Flow bindings...think I'll stay with hardboots.

see this linkhttp://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5505 I am going back to soft boots, (Arghh get behind me satan). Actually DaveESPI is so right

Its muscles that need conditioning to be used and it takes time and strength devlopment.

when I had the time to board 24/7 ( 1987 to1992)and not give a rats ass about earning money for kids wanting new bmx's and so forth, I used some pretty poor equipment. There was no footbeds or custom liners you just rode what you could blag or borrow! But I was riding every day and my feet and legs got accustomed to it. My thighs were twice the size they are now and I probably could take on John Claude VanDame in a tree kicking competition. I guess the moral of the story is if you only have limited time to ride use something which is comfortable so you can enjoy the riding. Obviously I am a d$%ck and not listening to my own advice after 22 years of riding and still using new equipment which f*"ks my legs.

Carving with softies seems to take more muscle effort and will cause your legs to be more tired. Try some nice stiff freeride boots with a plastic tongue plate and some stiff bindings. Some softbindings are a lot more comfortable than others. Looks for stiff baseplates with nice ergonomic strap system for performance and comfort. I just tried out my new (08) Head PX 10's bindings and they worked great for carving on my Arbor A-frame with Deeluxe Crest boot.

The problem i encounter is any slop in my setup drives me crazy. it causes knee pain and foot pain for me. so in turn i tighten my boots too tight and my bindings even tighter. the pain for me is on the top of the foot. I have custom footbeds, i have tried flows (nxt frx) ride cad to no avail. so i did break out my really old hard boots and bind. I didn't make it on the chair and one of the binds broke. so i kept a hardboot on front and a soft in back. I had the most comfortable and fun day on a board in years. 0 pain issues. i kept my stance exactly as i ride it soft. i was railing through trees with the greatest of confidence and laying out some nice carves on the steeper groomers, i even hit the park and it was great. next time out i will try it with both hard boots(it was kinda fun watching everyone try to figure out what the hell i was dong though). Thanks for all the input and suggestions. As for boards the NS will work out fine as the setup i have is pretty soft compared to the newer carving setups. plus i don't want to change the style of riding i do i just want to be comfortable. does anyone specifically make hard setups that are softer and meant for all mtn applications?

The problem i encounter is any slop in my setup drives me crazy. it causes knee pain and foot pain for me. so in turn i tighten my boots too tight and my bindings even tighter. the pain for me is on the top of the foot. I have custom footbeds, i have tried flows (nxt frx) ride cad to no avail. so i did break out my really old hard boots and bind. I didn't make it on the chair and one of the binds broke. so i kept a hardboot on front and a soft in back. I had the most comfortable and fun day on a board in years. 0 pain issues. i kept my stance exactly as i ride it soft. i was railing through trees with the greatest of confidence and laying out some nice carves on the steeper groomers, i even hit the park and it was great. next time out i will try it with both hard boots(it was kinda fun watching everyone try to figure out what the hell i was dong though). Thanks for all the input and suggestions. As for boards the NS will work out fine as the setup i have is pretty soft compared to the newer carving setups. plus i don't want to change the style of riding i do i just want to be comfortable. does anyone specifically make hard setups that are softer and meant for all mtn applications?

Ditto here. Had to crank down the softies way too much, and they hurt. Sold them all 4 years ago, haven't looked back.

As for all mountain boards, oh yeah. Prior's 4x4 and ATV, Donek's Axess (or however it's spelled), and Coiler's something or other. I personally prefer the Prior 4x4, but haven't ridden the ATV yet. The priors have a slightly softer flex IMO, especially in the nose.

This is why I switched to hard boots too.

All the extra support was a nice bonus though. :)

In the last ~12 years I've ridden soft boots once, on a demo setup.

I rode hard boots on a couple different freeride boards and never had trouble, but after going narrower I only wish I'd gone narrower sooner. There really is no loss of versatility.

Sounds like hardbooters ride around in waaaammbulances as their perferred method of transport too and from the slopes....and are not as strong or hardcore as those of us who still rawk out in softies.

:boxing_sm

LOL.

wait... I'm one of them too (sometimes).

*J/K.

I switch back and forth a few times a week sometimes in one day and the style of riding and response with movement can be drasticly different and feel awkward going both ways, but we re-adapt and remember with our muscles and after a few runs, its like "old home".

Everyones foot is different. Boot fit and binding compatability and feel is critical. I have had a few different styles and types, but its a lot of trial and error. I too fully understand how some boards and bindings and and most definately the boots can cause pain, but this is also similar with skiers and hardboots as well.

Sometimes it just takes a lot of demo days and trial / error to figure out what is comfortable.

To each their own :)

dave i would love to do demo days, but there just aren't that many anymore atleast around here. nevermind demoing stuff that i actually want to ride. so i find the best prices i can and demo on my own dollar. It was great when i worked for a shop and then santa cruz. At that point i could ride whatever i wanted. Back to the topic i could and prob will rock the soft setup on powder days but that is it, i had too much fun with the hard boots on so much control and no pain. the muscles in my feet are not the prob as i am on a board almost all year long ( wakeboard ). it is just from the pressure of me making my bind too tight. I try to ride somewhat loose and I just can't do it. This could be because I used to ski and had really good equipment no slop and great control. I'm also sure if i could drop 15-20lbs that would help a lot too, whatever. i thank you guys for all your replies, Brad.

Try some of the softies with the moldable liners. Seems to make a big difference in performance and comfort. 32, Deeluxe, and I think Head make them. I have the opposite problem, my shins hurt with hardboots if I try and ride bumps or chop. I think my hard boots are too hard (AF700). I just put in softer tongues and will see how they work this week.

no worries :)

Its the right tool for the right job. While we can use an adjustable wrench, a socket set will work too ;)

As long as we have fun doing it and don't come home broke and bleeding, its all good :biggthump

and yeah, Demo days are uncommon for us snowboarders, :( even here in the northeast.

demo days are def cool. i wish they still did them, but the problem was we mainly saw the same lifties and shop employees year after year. so the reps just stop doing them as they felt the cost was not justified as these people buy on proform anyway. general public didn't want to waste time when paying $75 + for lift tickets.