Note to New Members ×

Have any of you owned a Lib Tech Grocer, Doughboy, or Growboy?

MUD

A long time ago, but doughboys were my weapon of choice in my squaw valley days. I would assume the construction has improved since the early 90s but i can give you my memories. It has a relatively small sidecut for a big board, but that helps in the steeps when you need to throw a skid. The best thing about this board was the tail. On big landings (20+ feet) the tail sucks up a ton of impact and enhances stability. The board has no speed limit.edit again to say mine were 1990-1991 models - Bob's experience below may have been a redesign latere...I have no idea why but mine were much more stable than what he describes. I even put plates on them and ran super-g races on occasion.

Hey all,

Have any of you owned a Lib Tech Grocer, Doughboy, or Growboy?

Could you tell me about it? What did you like / dislike?

Thanks!

yup, it was alright doughboy/growboy the 193.

it was a touch narrow and was unstable at speed for a board that long, the nose geometry was stupid so it would hang up sometimes on stumps and bumps.

depending on the width you want, I'd suggest a tanker 187 or 200. the new skunk ape appears to of fixed the issues I had with the doughboy.

I rode it with softies, a touch narrow, I would toe out on it. I think it was 26.2 if I remember correctly and I may not. it is narrower than a tanker 187 that I have.

the width if the grocer was too narrow for me but I think the grocer was a better board, acted like it's size and was managable in the trees.

I :1luvu: my '91 186 grocer, 24.5 waist, big powder tips, carved the groomers like mad before too many years of cliff drops in the Alpental backcountry, and upper international bumps took the spring & camber out of it. Still makes a good powder board on deep days.

If your looking at the growboy on ebay, I can tell you I really wanted to buy it. Its a little wider than the older grocer but it's minty. It was more carvy & lighter than the 186 nitro diablo which I rode to death. Alway rode both boards with plates & hard hoots.

post-5508-141842272954_thumb.jpg

hard to see in that pic but the skis say "Shalom" , it was a goof on salomon and slalom, it had that sticker on one of my skinny boards back in the day(props to my hebrew brahs). wish I could find a jpeg of it.

The skeleton graphic on the doughboy was pretty sweet. (lookin for a pic)

Gonna get me a BIG tanker one of these days.

dano says I can borrow his for now :rolleyes:

http://www.libtechblogs.com/blog/2008/12/index.html

still lookin

http://www.lib-tech.com/artists/jamieLynn/jamieLynn.html

post-123-14184227296_thumb.jpg

Cool! Thanks for the input guys....

The reason I ask is I am getting close to pressing my first board. I have designed my press to take a LARGE format so a long board will be in the mix for sure.

I currently have a Tanker 187 and I LOVE IT! I was hoping of making something similar with less taper to improve the groom performance. All of the LT boards fit this bill a little.

I will keep BOL in the loop as I go. Since I am going to make pretty fat boards (I have size 30 feet and like low angles) I will have some tweeking to do to get them flat.

I love the doughboy. I have ridden a lot of larger snowboards like mads, priors, old summit boards ect...

and no board can compare to how much fun these things are. It is simply a huge freestyle board.... really flexible..snappy.......ahh....its a lib tech :1luvu:

They are hard to find ( I don't think they made many of them) and there are only really two years that look cool in my opinion (2005-2006). I have probably put 60-70 days on mine and it is still in one piece so those years have proven to be made well also. ( I am good at breaking things)

If you find one, I would reccomend you buy it

Here are some pictures of mine ....I think it's a 2005 (the year after this one has more of the dark wood stripes on the top sheet and then the year after that Lib-Tech made the skunk ape)

:biggthump

post-7733-141842272968_thumb.jpg

post-7733-14184227297_thumb.jpg

Cool! Thanks for the input guys....

The reason I ask is I am getting close to pressing my first board. I have designed my press to take a LARGE format so a long board will be in the mix for sure.

I currently have a Tanker 187 and I LOVE IT! I was hoping of making something similar with less taper to improve the groom performance. All of the LT boards fit this bill a little.

I will keep BOL in the loop as I go. Since I am going to make pretty fat boards (I have size 30 feet and like low angles) I will have some tweeking to do to get them flat.

if you want top groom performance the tanker is where to start for sure.

that said, I really want to ride a skunk ape in the bug boy size.

if you build it in metal I will be beating down your door!

Hey Mud,

You might find a used pre-06/07 Tanker. Below are the specs on the Tankers through 05/06 and the 187W only had 4mm of taper, instead of the 15mm of the current model.

Looking forward to hearing how the snowboard building goes. :biggthump

<table x:str="" style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="476"><tbody><tr style="height: 15.75pt;" height="21"><td style="border: 0.5pt solid windowtext; width: 92pt; height: 15.75pt; background-color: transparent;" class="xl22" height="21" width="123">Specs (in mm)</td> <td colspan="5" style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext black windowtext windowtext; border-width: 0.5pt 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; width: 240pt; background-color: transparent;" class="xl29" width="320">Tanker</td> <td colspan="3" style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext black windowtext windowtext; border-width: 0.5pt 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; width: 144pt; background-color: transparent;" class="xl29" width="192">Tanker Wide</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt; height: 12.75pt; background-color: transparent;" class="xl28" height="17">Board Length (in cm)</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">162cm</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">172cm</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">182cm</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl24">192cm</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">200cm</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">167cm</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">177cm</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">187cm</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt; height: 12.75pt; background-color: transparent;" class="xl25" height="17">Effective Edge</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">1255</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">1340</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">1415</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl24">1495</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">1575</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">1295</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">1375</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">1465</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt; height: 12.75pt; background-color: transparent;" class="xl25" height="17">Nose Width</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">294</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">300</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">298</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl24">298</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">304</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">320</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">320</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">320</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt; height: 12.75pt; background-color: transparent;" class="xl25" height="17">Waist Width</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">248</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">250</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">246</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl24">242</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">245</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">271</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">267</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">258</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt; height: 12.75pt; background-color: transparent;" class="xl25" height="17">Tail Width</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">290</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">296</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">293</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl24">293</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">299</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">316</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">316</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">316</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt; height: 12.75pt; background-color: transparent;" class="xl25" height="17">Sidecut Radius</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">9</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">9.25</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">10</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl24">10.5</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">11</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">9</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">9025</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">9</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt; height: 12.75pt; background-color: transparent;" class="xl25" height="17">Sweet Spot</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">520</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">540</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">540</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl24">540</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">540</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">540</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">540</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">540</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt; height: 12.75pt; background-color: transparent;" class="xl25" height="17">Stance Setback</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">20</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">30</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">40</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl24">50</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">50</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">20</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">30</td> <td x:num="" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl23">40</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt; height: 12.75pt; background-color: transparent;" class="xl25" height="17">Rider Weight</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl26">>110 lbs</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl26">>110 lbs</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl26">>132 lbs</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl27">>132 lbs</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl26">>132 lbs</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl26">>110 lbs</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl26">>110 lbs</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: windowtext; border-width: medium 0.5pt 0.5pt medium; background-color: transparent;" class="xl26">>132 lbs</td></tr></tbody></table>

Notice I said had a grocer. My neighbor now has it. It was my only chance to get him to ride a longer board than a 165. I thought the board was very hooky on the back end. It would start to carve and then hook in the tail. Way to soft for me, but I am pretty big. My suggestion is to go tanker. Very fun boards that carve very well for what they are. I have a 192 and 200. I prefer the 192 over the 200. It carves better and seems to be just about as fast in powder. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Notice I said had a grocer. My neighbor now has it. It was my only chance to get him to ride a longer board than a 165. I thought the board was very hooky on the back end. It would start to carve and then hook in the tail. Way to soft for me, but I am pretty big. My suggestion is to go tanker. Very fun boards that carve very well for what they are. I have a 192 and 200. I prefer the 192 over the 200. It carves better and seems to be just about as fast in powder. Just my opinion. Good luck.

yep, the doughboy is like that too. not sure if it's some wonky progressive sidecut or something else but they feel unstable for suck large boards.

still good though, just not a tanker!

if you build it in metal I will be beating down your door!

But I want to add a few insights here. I believe, as do a few builders, that metal in a freeride board is a bad idea. We do things to freeride decks that we wouldn't think of doing to a race stick. The potential for damaging a freeride board in a terminal fashion, if it had metal, is too high to accept. And probably too damp to boot, from what I've heard.

Now, for today's paradigm shift. I had the pleasure of being the 2nd north americano to ride both of the next years 200 Tanker prototypes. I'll only give you small insights until svr posts up on them. The new Tanker lineup will have a real world useable....rocker! Pow performance is beautiful! I know, I'm only 160 lbs., but it is a real step up from my 192 in pow. And, drum roll please...this sucker will carve! Did my first full 360 degree carve at the bottom of chair 8 @ Baker today, witnessed by svr (dang him for not having the viddy camera on!) If you like Tankers, or just like big freeride boards, sell a kidney, hock your left nut, whatever...I'm gonna have one! Get in line BEHIND me...

not so sure about the performance aspect of that.

kessler has been making BX boards for ages with metal and a few other companies are allegedly jumping on board with that.

yeah, you might think metal boards are less sturdy but the stuff is in most high end skis and they hold together just fine. it seems like the construction of the boards is more solid than it was just a couple years ago.

it seems like the newer metal coilers and SGs hold together as well as their glass counterparts.

I want a metal softboot board, my ideal would be a kessler BX but I have a kid on the way so that's on hold.