Note to New Members ×

Board Selection? HELP!!!!

WASMAN

I am new to carving this year and bought a Volkl 178 Tiger with TD1's. I am really enjoying it but am finding that i may have jumped in head first with a difficult /stiff board to control. i am looking for another board to add to my quiver that I can learn on while I improve. i am getting the hang of the toe turns but i am plagued by the 'toilet butt'..... i am wondering if a softer wider board might be right for now? any suggestions? Ebay currently has a Swoard 175 Extreme Carver for sale. http://cgi.ebay.com/SWOARD-ExtremeCarver-175-Soft-alpine-hardboot-snowboard_W0QQitemZ170297177552QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSnowboarding?hash=item170297177552&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

my concern is that i weigh about 210 and am 6'1". with this being a soft board flex, am i going to overpower it?? the Swoard website says i should be riding a stiff flex.

Any other board suggestions would be helpfull!!!!!!!!!!!! i ride in NY with relativly smaller hills and a fair bit of ice.....

BTS hook it up, from bomber, Bts makes for a lot nice ride. It made a world of difference.

You a big boy that board will love you after about 8 more times.

Ink and big Mario always say look where you going and then look into your turn, Ink says put your hands behind you or cross your arms

You can do it! took me a year to progress to my 175 and i weight 150 now I am looking for bigger, thinking New 2010 version metal prior 183 or 177 olympic with vistplate a Ice/crud super charged Ice eater Snowshark!:AR15firin getsome! the prior 2010 will have 3cm of more effective edge, spoke with Chris last night!

I weigh 210# and started off last year or a Renn Tiger 168 GS. At first the bord seemed massive and very stiff, but by the end of the season I was realizing that it is far too soft for my weight and ability. The RT has a very soft and straight nose which, I think, is to let you control the shape of a turn by how mutch you preasure it when you enter the turn. If you don't jump on the nose, the board will make large turns and run at rocket like speeds. Get over the nose entering a turn and you can 'bout ride the thing right into your back pocket. My problem is not being skilled enough to maintain the right balance between folding the nose mid-turn and being to far in the back seat, not in control of my speed. Spend a day on mild terrain working on preasuring that nose as you enter a turn and you'll probably have a very different opinion of weather it's too much board for you. In retrospect, I wish I had started with a 178.

I agree with dingbat that sticking with it will prove that it's more inexperience right now than anything. I rode a 168 Renntiger for a season and had a 173 that I never got to try out. Still wish I'da kept that one. I too struggle still from time to time with the "toilet butt" problem, but it's a matter of keeping your form when you turn on your heelside. I find the "grab the boot cuff" method brings me right back in line and I feel much more solid in my heelside turns. I try to remember to initiate my heelsides early too and keep my shoulders squared up through the turn. Pinching at the waist or "holding the pencil" also contributes to much better turns for me when I remember to do this. I also try to stay as symmetrical as possible when carving (although I still fail often...) thinking about keeping my upper body quite while letting my legs and core do the work. I've adopted the "don't touch the snow" attitude and it has made my carving much more consistant. It's alot to remember, but practice will bring it all into focus. Technique makes up for what I lack in atheleticism.

I would recommend a binding upgrade first. There have been a few sets of TD 2'S for a decent price or you could spring for the 3's. I think you might find the combination of the suspension and performance of the wider base plates might make a substantial difference. Also, see if you can find an experienced rider in your area to check your set up and ride with you. Once you get dialed that board should work fine for you. You will also find no shortage of opinions here to help you out.;)

I also concurr with Dingbats suggested riding of said beast. I was on a RT 163 and a 176 and they are snappy boards that if you load them up at the wrong times, will hand you your own ass with a craptastic smirk, or will treat you like a prince on the hill.

Im a good 50 pounds lighter than you, I'd think that RT you have would be perfect.

Try floating your weight a bit more on the tail at the beginning of a turn then rolling the weight forward at the belly of it then slightly back again at the end before initiating the heelside turn and use a CHOP/SLASH turn technique. It was awesome when I was hooking up nicely with such in good firm snow.

At your size, the 178 is a good choice. I'm 5'7"/155-160lbs and rode the 173 for years. I'd jump on that 178 in a heartbeat! Someones sig line says something about not letting the board smell fear...get your technique together and it will shine for ya'. I second stepping up to newer TD's, the damping of the e-rings is nice. If you want to grow a quiver, get a AM carver, they tend to be a little softer underfoot, and help to build confidence, too. And find a good rider to go with, you can learn a lot from watching/emulating a rider or two.