Note to New Members ×

Boot advice for a newbie.

metrix4211

Hi everyone. Got bit by the alpine bug and I cant wait to get started. I bought and old SIMS MFR (impulse buy) as my starter board. Some of you are probobly laughing but we all have to start somewhere :). Anyway, I was thinking of buying an Deeluxe Lemans. I'm not interested in racing at all, just the pure enjoyment of the perfect carve that I've heard so much about. Anyway, the Lemans that im looking at does not have a heat moldable liner, just the standard. Should i get it or spend the extra bucks and get and suzuka? By the way, I'm 5'4, 155 lbs

I have gone through about 10 pairs of boots in the last 20 years, at least half were new and I haven't found a stock liner that I would even take one run in.

Maybe they exist and I haven't ridden the ones you mention. ( Being old school mostly Burtons 8 pairs and a couple of pairs of Raichles. So take it FWIW.

Even if you do find a stock liner that you can tolerate, it will not fit as good as the molded ones. Annnnndddd if you are committed to the addiction of the carve, your quest will start with the best fitting boots you can get.

Everything else will follow from there.

God Luck.

(that started as a typo, but as I looked at it, that works too)

I've done a lot of boot fitting in SB & ski boots over 20+ yrs of snowbumming. I've found skiboots that fit me without issues, but never come across SB boots that did not require some tinkering to prevent heel lift or pressure on my boney ankles. snowboarding naturally has more ankle movement than skiing.

If your liners seem to fit well they'll do the job for now, but as they break in you may notice more hot spots or slop in the heel, this can be addressed with boot fitting pads or material removal but thats just a bandaid. The cure is moldable liners.

So i finally got my self sized by the local ski shop and it turns out I'm a mondo 24. I found a brand new Deeluxe Indy and a Head Stratus pro for about the same price, both on sale. I know these are very stiff boots which may not be appropriate for a newbie. Id love to find a suzuka but I cant find any within my budget. The first two are already $100 more than what i wanted to spend. OUCH!

So i finally got my self sized by the local ski shop and it turns out I'm a mondo 24. I found a brand new Deeluxe Indy and a Head Stratus pro for about the same price, both on sale. I know these are very stiff boots which may not be appropriate for a newbie. Id love to find a suzuka but I cant find any within my budget. The first two are already $100 more than what i wanted to spend. OUCH!

Hang tough Allan, they are out there, If you happen upon some of the older SB series I would not hesitate to use them. Check out the details at Carver'sAlmanac. I would not recommend stiffer boots to start with. BTS will help if you do end up with the stiffer boots, still better to find a more appropriate flex. Bryan

Caution: There are some of the real old boots that will not accept the Intec / Fintec heels. Eventually you may want to use those. Did you hook up with Bola and the local crew there yet? You are one lucky Dude!!

Thanks brian. Actually i've been talking to scott from carvers almanac and he's also been very helpful and generous with his time like yourself. However, his advice is to go to a stiffer boot to force proper technique. Haven't contacted Bola yet. Do you recommend I give his shop a call and talk to him directly?

I've got a nice nearly new pair of mondo 24 Raichles (Intec/Fintec compatible, 4 buckle - simlilar to the Track 225's) at home that I can't use. They have been used about 6 times that I know of. Regular liners (not the thermo-flex.) I paid $150 + shipping for them, but could part with them for less than that. How does $100 shipped sound? Thermo liners and a BTS kit would turn them into super boots for you! :) If you're interested pm me thru bomber or email me at two_ravens_ at hotmail dot com.

Thanks brian. Actually i've been talking to scott from carvers almanac and he's also been very helpful and generous with his time like yourself. However, his advice is to go to a stiffer boot to force proper technique. Haven't contacted Bola yet. Do you recommend I give his shop a call and talk to him directly?
I would go directly to the shop and speak directly to Bola, understanding this is his busy time of year. He is wise and will be able to help you a great deal in person if time allows. You spell my name wrong one more time and I am not going to be so generous :eek::eplus2::biggthump;)

You have no idea how much fun you are headed for!! Enjoy!!

BRYAN

Scott has a point. YOU have to decide if that matches your style of learning. If it does, I hope I don't end up in your ICU!!! Know what I mean Vern?

Enjoy!! BRYAN

Allen, Yep. I sense your enthusiasm and you are on the right track. BOL will definitely open the flood gates to both information and friendships. I am jealous of your position. You are literally sounded by Alpine Genious. Well, except for Thor, but he only slobbers like that when the sun is out and grooming machine drive by. Once he get on the run the ticks and the shaking stops. ;)

Keep us up to date on your progress!!

PHOTOS!!!

Bryan

Not to zap my potential sale or anything :smashfrea but did you notice that Fin has a super closeout deal on the Deeluxe Indy in your size?!?! :biggthump Thermo flex liners, spring loaded forward lean.... Click on Deeluxe boots (it doesn't come up if you click on "all boots") and check it out. Just sayin'......

Not to zap my potential sale or anything :smashfrea but did you notice that Fin has a super closeout deal on the Deeluxe Indy in your size?!?! :biggthump Thermo flex liners, spring loaded forward lean.... Click on Deeluxe boots (it doesn't come up if you click on "all boots") and check it out. Just sayin'......

Link? I don't see any listings in the boots closeouts?

Perhaps they just sold?

Good tip, with BTS he could adjust the flex to meet his needs.

Another example of the spirit of BOL members.

Enjoy!! Bryan

I have the Le mans - they are great - nice and flexible - I have used the stock liner for about three years (100 snow days or so) and they now need replacing but they will certainly last quite along time, and I found them to be very comfortable, fit well and warm. I am about the same height and weight as you.

do not force proper technique! Even with custom liners,a stiff boot will cause pain and be unforgiving to the unitiated.I have to wonder what context the advice was given in , to believe that the stiffest boots would force a new carver to adopt proper technique.Ankle flex and the ability to flex ones ankles have plenty to do with a positive impact on skill development.Beware stiff boots;if you go that route get BTS springs installed and start with yellow(softest) or blue springs or a combo thereof and you will have boots that are high performance,yet more forgiving.My 2cents:)

I agree with Steve Prokopiw. Start with something softer than the Head Stratos Pro or Deeluxe Indy.

Softer boots are easier to start out on for most, not just because they're "easier" but also because they are more forgiving of stance issues. Start with something on the flexy side; you will no doubt spend some time fiddling with your stance; when you get your stance dialed the boots may feel too soft and then you can upgrade to stiffer boots.

At least that's how it went for me.

Link? I don't see any listings in the boots closeouts?

Perhaps they just sold?

Good tip, with BTS he could adjust the flex to meet his needs.

Another example of the spirit of BOL members.

Enjoy!! Bryan

You're right, it doesn't show up in "Closeouts" - you have to click on "Deeluxe" in the boots section and it shows up mixed in with all the other Deeluxe boots. They don't have the BTS, but come with some other spring loaded device installed - not sure how it compares to the super silky feel of the BTS. :1luvu: Still there one minute ago, only size left is mondo 24.......

You're right, it doesn't show up in "Closeouts" - you have to click on "Deeluxe" in the boots section and it shows up mixed in with all the other Deeluxe boots. They don't have the BTS, but come with some other spring loaded device installed - not sure how it compares to the super silky feel of the BTS. :1luvu: Still there one minute ago, only size left is mondo 24.......

Here is the direct LINK 345$

The "RAB" is good, but doesn't compare to the BTS for sure.

Good call.

The deal on the M30 Suzuka Demos for 150$ is a good deal too!!

post-198-141842269335_thumb.jpg

Hey bryan. Youre right I'm very enthusiastic about trying out carving. Unfortunately, i'm also getting very inpatient and just dying to try it out :(. Anyway, where did you see the suzuka demos for $150. Seems like the only thing i see right now are the indys and stratus pro on sale.

Thanks Inkaholic. I definitely will. Thanks everyone for the valuable advice. Seems like the consensus right now is a softer boot. What about the Indy with BTS? I know this will cost me even more money but will it be helpful for me in the beginning and in the long run. Its funny, my boots will cost about 4x more than my board (Sims MFR) :smashfrea

I don't know how the shell stiffness affects BTS, but I'd imagine that the smallest amount of shell flex makes BTS the most effective, in the same sense that a full suspension mountain bike performs best with a stiff frame. If this holds any ground, the Indy/Track 700 would be an excellent choice if you're going to use BTS.