Note to New Members ×

Madd Topsheets

lonerider

What type of graphic do you want on your Madd?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What type of graphic do you want on your Madd?

• Original Madd stylin'
    • Art Designs offered by HS Students
    • Art Design by Professional
    • Solid Color Topsheet with Madd Logo
    • Simple Pattern (Gradient/Race Lines/etc)
    • No opinion

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone else feels... disappointed by the topsheet options offered? I mean getting local kids into the action is great and all... but the quality isn't particularly impressive.

I guess I'm being harsh, but it's one thing to appreciate a person's artistic works, it's another to accept it on something I own. I mean here's the website done by one of my friends from high school who I took art class with. I think this stuff would be much cooler to have on my board.

BTW, while's he's a good artist, he's not the best flash website designer (in terms of ease of navigation) so to get to the paintings he's done, click on the right ">>" on the portfolio pane (which will pop out) and then click on painting and you can slide the grey square in the preview pane to scroll through the images. Click on the two dots on the upper right to go back to the main page (that buzzing bee really annoys me after a while) I'm sure this was obvious to most of you, but just in case you got a little confused.

Maybe it's just that the offerings aren't very "polished," and that once the design is gone over by a professional it could be cleaned up a bit. But even then, I feel like most of the art was drawing on a piece of paper, not designs intended to go onto the elongated shape of a snowboard. Which brings me to another point, with the carbon-fiber butterfly covering most of the board, is it really worth it to have all these drawings crammed into the nose and tail of the board?

Of course this is a large product of my personal tastes as I prefer simple, elegant graphics over flashy eye-catching motifs. I would be amenable if they put on the flames like the ones used by Coiler, but in reality, I'd be happy with a solid color board and the Madd logo on the tail. Or some simple art deco geometric pattens or racer lines, or something pretty basic. I didn't buy the Madd for the looks, but at the same time I would prefer it if my board doesn't have unattractive design on it (since we are being given the choice)- I would prefer it to be just a plain color instead.

I was just wondering what other future Madd owners think... if they agree or disagree.

I was a little bummed with what was offered, too...

but...while I love looking at my boards...I love riding them more, and if the MADD rides like its supposed to, I dont care so much about whats on top...

could be a picture of chris lowell holding a bunch of flowers and itd be cool with me;)

I hear ya though...lets see what design wins the vote?

Custom topsheet are easy to do if the technology used in the process allows it.

Basically you have various ways of making a topsheet:

- ABS with printed graphics: these ask for screen painting with epoxy paints and are not customizable.

- Polyamid topsheets: these are transparent: they are either painted under with screens, or left transparent with some fabric making the color. This is the technology used by Donek: it allows good customization.

- Sublimated topsheets: These allow customizable graphics ( basically a printer jet dots the topsheet ).

No Idea what Madd uses, but do not dream too much: if they use screens and paints: its now way they will be able to offer customization. We did not since we used ICP ( polyamid ) and painted under stuff.

Nils

Have to agree with lonerider here. You know, I was pretty excited when I first ordered my Madd, and it was a "leap of faith" since I never rode one before. Their reputation speaks volumes and the price was VERY reasonable. I'm STILL excited, but also a little concerned with the options for graphics. And while I'm at it, I really don't like the idea that I HAVE to "name" my board. Hey, I appreciate fun and creativity, but assigning a name to my ride just aint my thing.

In no way is this a bash on Madd - I'm confident in their attention to quality and detail and I truly feel that it is important to support these smaller entities that represent our sport so well. YES, the quality of the ride is first and foremost for me too, but aesthetics is important as well. I'm not talking about ultra fancy stuff either. Something clean and simple - I really like the idea of a solid color with their logo (which in itself is really cool!). Even the original graphic would be fine.

Still looking forward to the board, just hoping that it's not something I'm going to take one look at and say "whoa, that's funky!". My 0.02

Originally posted by nils

Custom topsheet are easy to do if the technology used in the process allows it.

[...]

No Idea what Madd uses, but do not dream too much: if they use screens and paints: its now way they will be able to offer customization. We did not since we used ICP ( polyamid ) and painted under stuff.

Nils

I don't particular want/need a custom topsheet for my Madd. I was originally just going to accept the old Madd topsheet as is. My problem is that Madd setup a vote for a new topsheet (for all the boards), which is cool. However, none of the options are particularly appealing (now I know how Ralph Nader feels).

I was wondering why wasn't a simple/solid color option offered (with the Madd logo, which I think is nice) It would be easy to do, cheap (no artist fees) and I think it would be nice and "style" neutral. Like a completely black snowboard. Or a white snowboard with the black carbon butterfly on it.

I mean just because we are buying this board for its performance and not its look doesn't mean we have to shoot ourselves in the foot and intentionally make it unattractive to look at and, with no disrespect to the high school student artists, that's what I feel like we would be doing if we put these graphics on the boards.

[update to Kirk's post] Yea... while it's cool to let anybody "name" their board... I felt that the mandatory/restrictive nature of it wasn't as cool. Like I can't put my own name on it because that wouldn't be "creative." So yea, I'm taking issues with the mandatory fun of naming your board and the restictive creativity of the topsheet graphics.

Perhap Shred Grummer was only joking, but his email was a twisted mix of humor and information that didn't quite work (as I'm still a little confused as to what is the situation there).

I would prefer a simple top sheet as well. Especially considering the carbon butterfly plate. Solid color / Madd logo would do it for me.

I've never seen a Madd in person but when looking at the pictures of the "classic Madds" I think "ghastly".

Of all the topsheets I've seen, counting lunch trays, I've gotta say my favorite all time is the Coiler orange flames.

In the grand scheme of things, if the 170 rides as advertised I'm gonna be very happy regardless of the topsheet choice.

I didn't get the topsheet email either. I have to agree with Helmut though, after riding the 158 at ECES I don't care what it looks like. A cool looking topsheet would be nice but I would not care if it were pink with pansies all over so long as it rides like I remember. OK, pink with pansies would be a little too much, but whatever. Do your thing Madd Mike- it will be cool.

Originally posted by Helmut Karvlow

It's clear that none of you know how Mike came up with the first top sheet design. you guy's should here the story before you start to bitch about it. I for one don't care whats on it after riding them. Mike, what ever you come up with is cool with me!

Yes, you are right Helmut, we don't know what the original story is. However that's because no one who knows has told us (BOL ppl). This information was intentionally/unintentionally left it out of Shred Grummer's email. And even you are playing coy as you didn't bother to tell us either. Like it's some secret that only a "chosen" few can know. (Sorry I just read a news article about exclusive clubs and my indignation is carrying over from that)

So we don't know because you haven't told us... and it's not like we haven't asked before. I'm sure it has some personal/private significance to Mike - but that doesn't make it sacred.

Futhermore, if you carefully read my posts. You will see that my main point complain is not about the original design (I found it acceptable and was willing to have it as my design) or even directly about the attractiveness of my snowboard (Will the purists please stop with the knee jerk reactions about how it's the ride and not the looks that matter. I understand your point already. Now please at least consider my point).

My complaint is with the process by which we are choosing a new topsheet graphic. It is a vote, but one where voters feel like they are voting for the "lesser of evils." My argument is that the most popular options (solid color with madd logo) was left out of the running. As such I find the process to be inconsistent (sorry for all the colored text, but I need something to keep you guys focused in my rambling pontification). By inconsistent I mean that if you are going to let the people choose what they want, why leave out one option that is (as seen by the poll) the most popular choice? Yes, they could have just chosen any graphic themselves and I would have accepted that. However, since they ask me the vote... is it too much to ask for someone I would actually want to vote for? When people later complain about the topsheet, they can be like "but you voted for it" and I just would like to point out that I wasn't happy "before" the vote.

BTW, the second choice on my ballot was the original topsheet although I'm not sure if my write-in candidate will be accepted.

So that's my point... maybe the people at Madd have already held their own private primary in which they decided that they didn't want a solid colored topsheet - but I'm just exercising my right not to be a blind lemming and following whatever I'm told to do. The choice is Madds, but that doesn't mean I can't voice my opinion.

Whoa!!! I was kind of bummed when I missed the deadline to order a Madd board due to lack of funds but after seeing the choices for topsheets I'm ecstatic that I didn't have the funds. Whatever happened to just a plain top with a few small graphics, like the builder of the board and maybe a model name or number. Donek, Prior and Coiler you can order one up that way, Madd you need to rethink your choices.

I will just conitinue to ride my all white Prior 179 4WD with solid black bottom.

Sorry lonerider, I was not being coy, I did not think it my place to tell it. Mike would get letters from a kid with pictures on them, when trying to come up with a top sheet he said why can't we draw something like this. they contacted the boy and he was handicapped or something. since then, mike used alot of his stuff. my memory is not the greatest so if I left anything out. Shaggy please correct me. thats the short version.

I have to agree with everyone elses posts - I did not like any of the topsheets done by the high school students.

Don't get me wrong - I think it was a great idea for them to try their best and demonstrate their art skills, but we are the ones paying for the boards and should be asked and not forced to decide.

I would love to see something that makes the board look unique, for it is a unique board, but would like to stay away tacky (sp).

A funky topsheet color with a Madd logo and our personalized name would be great. Another option would be something like Texalium® (Aramid/Carbon) - really sleak and space-age looking.

In regards to names - should be name your board if you want or have in with the size only.

Just my 2 cents.

Rob

Vell, geez I guess having a choice is a bad thing? at least you have one.. you will never please everyone! but at least you have some say into it! wish I could of named my Burton with the crappy graphix, I would have called it the Junker or the Sell out,, or the Wood Chipper Experiment!

So far everyone who has asked for a certain name has gotten it.. Im of the thinking, "hey I want to know which one is mine,,and put some meaning behind it?"

You have an Avatar right,, so whats that?

The point is yea, you could get a bland looking thing,, which I don't like,, but some do,, and have the same old same old!

At least there trying to do something! not like the same thing day in and day out!

I don't think everything is set in stone,, so relax and know that you opinion is well taken.. but there are others as well..

Maybe they don't have time to respond but there are already 40 names sent in and they are having fun with it,, why won't you?

Just my 2 Franks!

Said Shred

I think the point tho, shred, is that people are paying good money for a board, and dont want "amateur" graphics unless those am graphics dont look so am.

thats all.

hell...a clear top sheet would look SICK imo

personally Id like to have brushed aluminum like on those old aggressions. or steel whatever they were...

;)

I have to laugh when I watch "pimp my ride" because most cars are still a piece of junk underneath. Graphics are minor compared to what's inside a Madd. The kiteboard graphics are nothing exceptional, but the boards themselves are. check out Madd Airlines http://www.maddmikes.com/MaddKiteboards.htm Graphics are cool only when the color of your nboard matches the color of your Benz.

Originally posted by Shred Grummer

they are having fun with it, why won't you

The only thing a non-conformist hates more than a conformist is another non-conformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of non-conformity.

Originally posted by D-Sub

I think the point tho, shred, is that people are paying good money for a board, and dont want "amateur" graphics unless those am graphics dont look so am.

thats all.

hell...a clear top sheet would look SICK imo

personally Id like to have brushed aluminum like on those old aggressions. or steel whatever they were...

;)

Yes... that's exactly what we are trying to say. I'm all for getting a unique and creative graphic... but the options offered are simply not good enough to put on a snowboard. So it's really Madd Snowboards themselves who are driving people toward the "conformist" solid color with logo design... if Madd had given us a cool looking, non-amateurish unique design - we would probably have all jumped on... but that didn't happen and now we are voicing our opinion as paying customers that we don't "limited" choices Madd is giving us.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Kirk

Yeah, I'm resurrecting this one. Anybody have a clue? I think the boards are due some time at the end of the month. I sort of forgot about the whole thing when I e-mailed Madd and got no response. Anybody out there know or AT LEAST curious?

I am, but I don't want to be rash and say something unkind to them until I know the full story. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now, but my patience is growing thin. They too have been ignoring my emails... this is the last reply I got (when I told them the result of my poll here).

July 18, 2004

Thanks for the feedback and your interest in this contest. It's obvious that you have put some effort into offering us some feedback and for that, I thank you. In fact, I'm getting ready to put you to work for us. Anyway, I do appreciate what you did and I think you may be pleased with the results of our contest. The letter, with results will be out in a couple more days. --Cheri

So much for a "couple" of days. They are probably busy focusing on their kiteboard customers instead of us (I did get a prompt reply when I inquired about buying a trainer kite). Did anyone every get the contest results, what will the board graphics be? I really don't care anymore so long as I get my board before the winter season starts (since they've already pushed back their delivery date twice).

Well,

What should they look like?

I have no idea myself.

From a marketing standpoint they should be a readily identifiable graphic- one that can not be mistaken for anything else...one that can be read and recognized even at high speed- and easy to pick out of a bunch of boards in a stack at by the racks near lunch. You should stand out when you ride a Madd.

Oh ****- that is exactly what I wouldn't want- personally,....- having been chased by ski patrol faaaaar too many times- I enjoy being anoymonous and after poaching a few groomed trails at night at Eastern resorts....I don't want to be identified so easily- I usually wear black or some common skier color combo for that reason. I can quickly take off my jacket and turn it inside out in a pinch to avoid being tapped for "Ski fast lose pass" - having a bright yellow deck with a ferrari red Exclaimation point with a huge MADD logo makes that kinda impossible.

Fact is- no matter what we pick- according to that survey- most of you will be displeased.

Back before we had good looking Alpine graphics....I used to ride everything out there and choose my board for the season. ALWAYS it was the deck that rode the best...but almost ALWAYS it was the ugliest. Some of the boards Sims 150 fe pro (Black with Sims Wing), Sims 1710 Blade (Hideous red and white stripes), SIMS x-2000 (Even uglier Gold and white stripes), THE DREADED CHECKER PIG graphic( Crazy bong hit pink pig wearing cheap sunglasses and a bandana), The Rossignol 170 with VAS external plates( disco blue sparkles with gold).

The Worst of all time- and at the time one of the best to ride. The Hoodu Guru by Dynastar- vomit looked better- I've seen more attractive screen savers that come with your computer.

The ony thing I knew...if the board rode great, I'd grow to like the graphic. The Checker Pig graphic was one of those. So were the old Madds.

The only graphics I ever liked in an alpine board line were the 1991 F2 Speedsters with the retro 1950's racing graphics. Don't expect anything fancy like that from us.

Don't worry you'll grow to love the graphic.

________

Ferrari 195 S Specifications

Originally posted by John Gilmour

Fact is- no matter what we pick- according to that survey- most of you will be displeased.

Don't worry you'll grow to love the graphic. [/b]

Respectfully, John - I don't think you, Shred, and anyone at Madd understands our subtle point. The point is that we are unhappy that Madd was "asking for our opinion" but not really "listening" to what we had to say.

It's like the ice cream man saying... what flavor ice cream would you like? Kimchee, Anchovy, or Garlic (they do exist) and we reply "could we have vanilla, chocolate or strawberry instead?"

Do you understand? Look I just assumed we were going to be stuck with the old Madd graphic, which wasn't particularly that great in my opinion, but I said - whatever. However, if you are going to make this big deal about giving the Madd owners "a say" in the matter... then I think you should ought to provide choices that people would actually want to pick. Does that make sense? Because I keep repeating myself and there is a group of people that just keep thinking that all I'm talking about it having a cool looking board - it is *not* the point.

Ontop of that... I think several of us about been slightly annoyed by the rather lack of professionalism in Madd's customer service. AGAIN, I understand that they are super undermanned and are on a shoe string budget. But that does not excuse them from completely ignoring any emails that they don't feel like answering (we as a group have sent several that have been ignored). I won't go into this really, but just consider that as a backdrop.

Finally, you are incorrect in interpreting the poll results - I let people vote for as many options as they wanted (they could vote for all options at the same time. From my count, around 30 people voted in the poll, so that means around 67% would have accepted the solid colid with Madd logo around 33% would have accepted a simple pattern and a maybe another 33% would have accepted the original graphic. These groups are overlapping. On top of that the poll definitely shows is that the majority of future Madd owners were unhappy with the current designs being offered. I think that should have sparked Madd to do something about it... which they implied they would do and would get back to us immediately on the matter... but after that little pat on the head, that promised reply never came...

AGAIN... this is a subtle point, but a valid one. I've kept quiet for the past few weeks because I didn't see the point in bringing it up and having all the Madd faithful leap to the defense. Suffice it to say, despite my complaints, I STILL will be happy if I get my board before the winter, *regardless* of the graphic.