Note to New Members ×

Sierra Nevada Expression Session

Loc

Any updates on who plans to come up? Forecast does not look ideal, and I'm considering riding at Kirkwood on Sunday instead.

Saturday: A 50 percent chance of snow showers, mainly after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Breezy, with a southwest wind between 20 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.

Saturday Night: Snow. Low around 22. Windy, with a southwest wind between 30 and 35 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Sunday: Snow showers likely, mainly before 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 27. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reiterate... stay at June on Saturday night if it looks hairy:

A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON

THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING.

* SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN IN THE SIERRA BY LATE SATURDAY

AFTERNOON...AND CONTINUE THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING WHILE SPREADING

ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF MONO COUNTY. A PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOWFALL

IS POSSIBLE FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH MID MORNING ON

SUNDAY.

* SNOW LEVELS: INITIALLY ABOVE 7500 FEET...BUT DROPPING RAPIDLY TO

THE LOWER VALLEYS BY LATE SATURDAY EVENING.

* SNOW AMOUNTS: 1 TO 2 FEET OF SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE BY MIDDAY

SUNDAY IN THE SIERRA ABOVE 7500 FEET...WITH 6 TO 12 INCHES

POSSIBLE DOWN TO 5500 FEET NEAR THE HIGHWAY 395 CORRIDOR.

LIGHTER SNOW ACCUMULATIONS MAY OCCUR IN THE LOWER VALLEYS OF

EASTERN MONO COUNTY.

* WINDS: SOUTHWEST WINDS 15 T0 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH.

GUSTS UP TO 95 MPH OVER THE HIGHER RIDGES.

* IMPACTS: THE COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW AND GUSTY WIND WILL

PRODUCE SEVERAL HOURS OF RAPID SNOW ACCUMULATIONS AND NEAR ZERO

VISIBILITY...ESPECIALLY OVER THE PASSES LATE SATURDAY NIGHT INTO</pre>

EARLY SUNDAY MORNING.

</pre>

It was a pow weekend for sure, and a carving session was not in the cards unfortunately. I met George briefly at the top of 4 on Saturday, but not really anyone else.

It was an unreal bluebird day on Monday. I had first tracks the entire day at Mammoth. :)

Next year again perhaps? This time, we can probably get things started early and involve June Mt management to do some of the work (and pick up the liability :rolleyes: ). The GM Carl was open to something like that.

It was a pow weekend for sure, and a carving session was not in the cards unfortunately. I met George briefly at the top of 4 on Saturday, but not really anyone else.

It was an unreal bluebird day on Monday. I had first tracks the entire day at Mammoth. :)

Next year again perhaps? This time, we can probably get things started early and involve June Mt management to do some of the work (and pick up the liability :rolleyes: ). The GM Carl was open to something like that.

Add me to the list who wants an organized SNES. I'll help out anyway I can to make it happen. I hope there's a demo tent :biggthump

Damn, I'm sorry I missed out on Monday's pow day. I had a safety audit at work and couldn't take the time off.

Big Bear got around 3" on Sunday :p

Damn, I'm sorry I missed out on Monday's pow day. I had a safety audit at work and couldn't take the time off.

Big Bear got around 3" on Sunday :p

It was the first real textbook bluebird day I have ever had. It really was heavenly. :1luvu:

There were four of us carving at June, Niel, Kerry,Ilia(on a Prior)and myself, we just weren't all together. Just wish I could see better with the snow and wind.

I almost stayed Sunday night but couldn't blow off work. I knew Monday was going to be an awesome day. There was over a foot of snow on top of my car from Saturday night to Sunday afternoon.

Neil,

Missed you guys again saw the weather and decided to go up sunday night.

Rode some of the best pow in years on monday they opened the top of the mountain at 10:30 we made first tracks off the top of cornice bowl I was on my 178 OSIN Tuesday was the carving day.

Frank

Frank, on Monday I think I saw you as I went up 12. I spent most of my time out by 13/14, and got 5th chair when they opened 14. It was excellent! One of the best pow days ever, mostly due to the bluebird conditions and low crowds.