Note to New Members ×

Sierra Nevada Expression Session

Loc

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember seeing threads for past SNES. Is there one planned for this year?

So Neil is it going to be an every other year event or are you done with organizing altogether? I'm sure there are several of us that could team up and make it a bit easier.;)

So Neil is it going to be an every other year event or are you done with organizing altogether? I'm sure there are several of us that could team up and make it a bit easier.;)

That was a LOT of work the first time out. I could definitely use the help if we want something like this to happen again. :)

I actually got great support from Carl Williams, the GM at June. He likes us carvers quite a bit and was open to having the event handled more by the mountain itself. However this was last year when June had the catastrophic start and didn't open for the rest of the season. We could revisit the idea for 2010 perhaps since it is too late for this year.

Thoughts?

I haven't been to any expression session so I don't know the details that need to be taken care of. Still, I'll throw my hat in to help put something together for this season. I'm good with an SLR camera, I'm learning video, and I'm a web developer. Hope I'm not totally useless :freak3:

Can you give a quick list of things we can all help with?

For the first SNES Neil did a great job getting the support of the vendors and putting on an over all good event. It would be nice to get Carl the GM carver @ June Mountain to sponsor. It was great to have his support after the Mammoth fiasco. I would agree that it is too late for a full scale event this year; however, maybe we could thow out a coulple dates around SES and the WTC for a more loosely organized SNES. No vendors or tent, just a group of guys riding. Maybe we could even plan a day to visit the guys at Mount Rose. Just a thought.

Come north my friends! :biggthump

Mt. Rose has a lot of carvers, probably close to 20 that are there a various times and it is common to have groups of 6-8 on any giver day. If anyone wants to come to Rose we could have a nice low key session. We tried to organize a weekend last year but it was late in the year and totally last minute. Maybe we can do something a bit more organized this year.

I also went to OES last year and had such a good time that I will try to go every year now.

Maybe 3.5 hours. I know it was right about a 3 hour drive from Reno to Mammoth and I think that was from the south end of town. Rose is another 20-25 minutes up the hill from there.

I can also help with getting discounted lift tickets at my work ($42) or depending on when you come and how many days you ride we'll figure out the best deal.

I guess it is a good thing we named this the Sierra Nevada Expression Session. We can easily move it up and down the range depending on the season.

A more informal approach seems like a great idea for this year. I am not sure I can do a dedicated Mammoth/June day myself again like the year before last. :freak3: But, with June's cooperation, we could perhaps pull off a nice demo tent and other fun activities (limbo? mid day groom? hardboot-only drink specials at the Tiger Bar?) there if we plan the 2010 event early enough. :D

Neil, Had a lot of fun last time riding and jawing with all us alpine freaks. If I'm back working in Torrance next year I will gladly help out with some of responsibilities. Waiting to hear if they plan extend my contract or not. Take care, Tom

For me I would say attending the expression session is a clinic in itself, but what do you guys think about having an "Intro to Freecarving" clinic for 1-2 hours? I'm asking because I can interest some softbootin' friends who will be on the hill anyway. And I'm sure everyone here has friends who might be curious. Might be a good way to promote alpine snowboarding?

:eplus2: If you firm the date up at Rose, PLEASE post in both the Mt Hood and Mt Bachelor Threads. This is a very doeable road trip for us!! I know I certainly had a good time there!! (I am the guy wearing a tie )

Bryan

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6byVjzZYO6I&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6byVjzZYO6I&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Alright, lets throw some dates out there. How about March 13-15 or the 20th-23rd? When is OES? I don't want to conflict with any of the other existing sessions.

We could do Mammoth, June then Rose, Friday Saturday Sunday. We definitely want to try to avoid Mammoth on a weekend if possible.

The WTC is Feb 26th through March 1st, which I will be trying to attend this year. So either dates in March would work, but would prefer the 20th through the 23rd. How do these days work for everyone else?

I think that would work well. Randy maybe you and Tae and I (and whoever else) should get together to work on Rose for 3/23?

Are you guys thinking about coming south to ride Mammoth and June for the Trifecta? I know some of you came to June last time. If you are thinking about making the treck south, it would be a good idea to avoid Mammoth on the weekend; however, June is ok. How is Rose on the weekends crowdwise?

Compared to Mammoth Rose would probably seem calm, although it is smaller so people are not spread out as much. But Sundays are a lot less crowded than Saturdays so I don't think it will be a problem.

Shawn, we'll get an e-mail going off line with Tae and talk about it.

And I might try to come down for the June day. I'll have to see when it gets closer.

• 4 weeks later...
Lets aim for the 20th through 23rd then, so people who do want to make multiple sessions can do so, with some time to spare.

3/20: Mammoth Mountain

3/21: June Mountain

3/22: Mt. Rose

I realize this is over four weeks out, but I wanted to keep the post somewhat fresh, so that we can get the dates on the calenders of those who will be attending. Are the above mentioned dates still good or are we going to reschedule?