Note to New Members ×

Sierra Nevada Expression Session

Loc

Sounds good Neil. Lets get the boys up north confirmed over the next couple weeks. Are you up at Mammoth this next weekend? It looks like I will be up from Friday pm to possibly Wed pm. There is a chance of snow during this time with continued low temps---hopefully.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this for visibility. :)

I am not 100% certain that I can take Friday off for Mammoth on the 20th, but I will be at June and Rose on Sat/Sun for sure. Mammoth-ites, carpool to Rose?

Who's down? Lets get a list going just so we can know who to look out for.

1) Neil

2) Gary

3) Randy T

4) Tae

5) Shawn

James? Erwin? Tim? Russel? Who else?

Neil, Had a lot of fun last time riding and jawing with all us alpine freaks. If I'm back working in Torrance next year I will gladly help out with some of responsibilities. Waiting to hear if they plan extend my contract or not. Take care, Tom

Tom, Hope to see you back at SDC soon. Hope you're getting some good days on the slopes this year in Japan! Thanks again for the Carve mag!

I'm just now really studying this thread. This sounds like great time! I may be able to make Mammoth and June on the 20th and 21st, but I'd have to come home on the 22nd eliminating Rose for me. I'll chcek my calendar at work tomorrow and confirm one way or the other for the 20th and 21st.

As far as I know it is. This is just an informal gathering so we will all try to do what we can as each location.

How about a few meet up times and locations:

Mammoth: Fri 9am @ Ch2 Sign

June: Sat 10am @ top of Rainbow between Ch6 and 4

Can someone chime in for Rose? I don't know the mountain well enough to make a call there.

As far as I know it is. This is just an informal gathering so we will all try to do what we can as each location.

Can someone chime in for Rose? I don't know the mountain well enough to make a call there.

Neil, have you posted any information for the boys at Bachelor and Hood? Let me know either way. I can create a post if you have not already done so. Thanks.

Works for me.

If any of you are going to be here early enough we could meet at the bottom of the lift on the Slide Mtn/East Bowl side at 8:30.

If not we can post other options but there is only 1 high speed six pack chair on each side of the mtn. so it's pretty easy to find people.

So how many people are coming up to Rose and what time do you expect to ride?

How long is the drive from Mammoth to Rose? About 2.5 hours? I am not sure if we will get there by 8:30am.

Also, long range forecasts show a chance of a storm. Lets see how it ends up looking as we get closer.

I'd give yourself closer to 3 hours. It could probably be done in 2.5, but that would be leaving at 5:00 a.m., not hitting any traffic and getting every green light through carson city.

Long term forcasts are notoriously inaccurate this time of year. For the straight weather picture (including the level of confidence in the forecast), I strongly recommend checking out the Reno NOAA office's Forecast Discussion. Great for a snapshot of what's expected in the sierra from Mammoth north.

I'm not Randy, but I'll probably be there before him anyhow...

Slide Mtn. turnoff is about a mile before the main lodge for Mt. Rose. Take that first left turn and go to the "Slide side." Chairs on the slide side start at 8:30, 9:00 on the main side.

The slide lodge lot is very big, and unless there's a foot of fresh, it will be empty in the morning. There will be lot guys lining people up to park on the south side of the lot nearest the lift. But it's acceptable to head to the north side of the lot to park too. It means a minute or two more of walking to the chair, but it'd be easier to organize tailgating over there for lunch if people are interested. If the weather is nice, there's nothing better than sitting in your fold out chair in the parking lot for lunch, and you'll see lots of locals (cheap bastards that we are) doing the same.

Wherever you decide to park, buy a ticket and head towards the chair. If you see someone with a carving board, introduce yourself. The weekend crew is rarely more than 8 people, so you'll figure out who's who quickly.

Take a run or two on the slide side, then head to the main (Rose) side after 9:00 a.m. Randy is suggesting that we meet again at the top of the Northwest (Rose side) chair at 10:00 a.m. to pick up any stragglers.

Barring all that, just holla if you see someone. Runs aren't that long and we frequently regroup at the top.

Shawn