Note to New Members ×

Snowboard pants that won't Rip?

jtslalom

Is there such a thing? I have been riding for 21 years now and still haven't found a pair of snowboard and/or ski pants that won't rip, tear, or simply not wear through in the knee and hip area. I bought a pair of expensive spyder pants that I thought would hold up. I'm in my second full season with them and have duct taped both knees and one hip area because of wearing through. The few brands that I've had that I remember were columbia, Burton, WaveRave, Airwalk and now Spyder. None of which lasted more than 1 1/2 or 2 seasons. I have had other brands that I can't remeber the names of but still no success.

Avalanche makes most (all?) of the Canadian instructor uniforms. I'm not sure if they sell direct or not. They are very abundant (and cheap) on the local used sites.....$400 ish new for pants/jacket. They seem to wear extremely well ( I've had 1).

I'm sure some of the instructors on the site have worn Avalanche stuff too??

//Paul

its a commodity item.. I used to just go to whiskeymilitia (or similar) and buy a new pair every few years...

BUT,.,,,,

My nephew is a chemical engineer in the army and told me about the chemical camo suits called (jlist or something) they use...Said they would be great for snowboarding. Im sure they cost a few grand to uncle sam but you can buy a pants and jacket on ebay for about $100.00.No pockets though

I fould a pair on ebay... oh my.. these things are amazing. I only have a few runs in them so I cant begin to say how well they hold up. The water proofing is amazing. You just look like a idiot in full camo.

Carhartt

Yes.. they make work clothes, but have waterproof breathable bibs that are indistructable in your choice of black or black

I was sent some info on Thor motorcylce pants but have never tried them myself

Apparently they are also waterproof, breathable, and bombproof... very stylish as well

I've tried a lot of pants and bibs including Arc'teryx's LT, Theta, and Alfa. They have a life time gaurantee and Backcountry has stood behind it. The LT's started leaking in the seat area after a couple of seasons and BC replaced them with a pair of Theta's for a few dollars more. The Theta's arived with a problem with the gaiters and I returned them. Since Backcountry was out of stock of my size in the Theta's they sent me a pair of Alfa's. I didn't like them (no gaitors and zip all the way through the crotch so you can take a dump without removing them) so I returned them when the Theta's were back in stock for another pair of them. About 3 seasons on the Theta's with no problems.

I got the sessions pants and jackets, and Im quite impressed with it. The only thing Im not impressed with is the threads they chose. Very weak threads, but the material is quite durable and strong. So I might have to do the re-sewing myself with thicker/better thread.

I got the sessions pants and jackets, and Im quite impressed with it. The only thing Im not impressed with is the threads they chose. Very weak threads, but the material is quite durable and strong. So I might have to do the re-sewing myself with thicker/better thread.

Same problem with my Northface jacket. I've had the stitches on the same the same seam repaired twice. The second time, I had my tailor double up the area with area with another piece of fabric over the seam. It's worth it cause the jacket is otherwise awesome.

Oh, last year, when I was riding with TVR at ABasin, I saw another boarder who had the exact same jacket... and the same damn hole in its seam. WTF!

I'm a hardcore adventure motorcyclist and own a pair of the Thor "Ride" pants (I wore them on a 5,000-mile solo ride to Newfoundland and back from West Virginia, amongst other rides.)

Before seeing this thread, I'd actually never thought of wearing them for carving...but now that I think about it, they'd probably be awesome!

They're definitely bombproof---the whole lower two-thirds of the pants are 600-denier ballistic cordura nylon---pretty damn tough. They're waterproof (I've ridden in the rain many times with them), have a really nice ratcheting closure at the waist...have huge pockets, and the bottoms are cut wide and have heavy-duty 12" high zippers, so they'll definitely accommodate hardboots.

Lastly, they're cheap! $95 at this link...

http://www.revzilla.com/product/thor-ride-pants-2008

You definitely won't find snowboarding pants for as little as that!

I currently carve in a pair of Mountain Hardware "Conduit" pants that are great...but probably no better than the Thor Ride pants...and I'm sure they cost twice as much (can't remember exactly...)

Scott

PS - The only thing my Mountain Hardware ski pants have that the motorcycle pants lack is a built-in gaiter at the bottom...but frankly, with hardboots, I've never seen a need for those...