Note to New Members ×

Tinkler Rocketman

pokkis

Here few comments about my new Tinkler toy :1luvu:

rocketman1.jpg

Length 180cm, waist 23cm, radius 11-13m.

Full rocker

rocketnose.jpgrockettail.jpg

I've been now running this board on slushy afternoon slope, medium soft groom and medium hard wavy groomed slope. And it is working all of them so nicely. Been riding mainly stix full loose or only slightly tightened, just to get used to rockers.

I can get board full flat with stix if i turn all of them fully tight.

Have not yet change to ride it on full hard surface but i'm sure that this will come later this season.

This board really rocks :ices_ange

Cant wait to get it also on real deeper snow too.

Will give updates later this season about when more miles on different surfaces.

Oh-yeah, if someone wonders, yes this board is built for slopes, so this is not pow-board :D

And can not wait to get my hands on my new BlackMamba built by another genious board wizard, more story about that later :eplus2:

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice board Pokkis, hope it will work out on hardpack also, but it does ;)

I had some several long talks with Mike Tinkler, the builder of these boards, last weeks. Seems that this rocker works perfectly with the combo of the sticks and with no camber in the middle (flat), the board will initiate short or long turns very easily, even with a longer board like a 180 or 190. A 23cm wide board will feel like a 19cm board , a 20cm board will feel like a 16cm board. I am looking forward when my new Tinkie will arrive: length 190cm, 20cm width, 11-13 SCR. As Mike told me how it would ride........

Thanks for the ride review Pokkis, I have been anxious to hear the on snow testimony. Mike was really happy with results of "on snow" testing towards the end of last season. Once again the Melding of great riders and great builders push the known builds. Very cool design with nearly infinite board tuning options. Well done!!

Bryan

PS, I love the new "Burly" "Snow-Stix" version. Not to mention the bling factor.

Pokkis, any chance I could get some high res photos of the board all set up?

I would like to add them to the gallery when I bring it back on line.

Sweet Ride Pokkis,

I am very happy with mine as well. It is amazing how the rocker actaully works much better than it would seem.

cheers,

sandy

Sandy, anxious to hear more about your "Sandman" in the deep ?

Another thread?

Keep pushing the limits Dude!!

Bryan

Nice board Pokkis, hope it will work out on hardpack also, but it does ;)

I had some several long talks with Mike Tinkler, the builder of these boards, last weeks. Seems that this rocker works perfectly with the combo of the sticks and with no camber in the middle (flat), the board will initiate short or long turns very easily, even with a longer board like a 180 or 190. A 23cm wide board will feel like a 19cm board , a 20cm board will feel like a 16cm board. I am looking forward when my new Tinkie will arrive: length 190cm, 20cm width, 11-13 SCR. As Mike told me how it would ride........

Well said, I too have always been a fan of "MORE CAMBER PLEASE" , so, as a result of Mike's comments, I too will be giving it a try as soon as I am able.

It actually makes sense, especially when combined with the adjustability of the "Snow-Stix". Good stuff!! Bryan

Jack, doesn't your Schtubby have a lesser version of the same idea going on... just in the nose and tail?

No. Basically the camber stops a few cm's (5? 7?) before the nose turns up, to create a more gradual nose kick. I don't believe there is any of that going on in the tail, there would be no point to that. It's got plenty of camber otherwise.

This board has reverse camber.

This is a joke, right?

Everything I think I know about snowboarding tells me this board will suck horse apples on the groom. But I've never ridden a rockered board, so what do I know.

No, I'm serious..... I totally agree with you. But maybe we are missing something. I just can't help to think it would suck though.:confused:

Sandy, anxious to hear more about your "Sandman" in the deep ?

Another thread?

Keep pushing the limits Dude!!

Bryan

Bryan, I posted my first ride impressions on my original post, http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22163

The weather warmed up a bit here so have not had the courage to take it out in the sketchy conditions we have now...hope you have been able to go out and ride.

cheers,

sandy

This is a joke, right?

Everything I think I know about snowboarding tells me this board will suck horse apples on the groom. But I've never ridden a rockered board, so what do I know.

Jack, typically your statements actually contain some level of technical basis, this would seem like a pretty strong statement for someone that has not even given it a try.

Here is what I KNOW.

1) Pokkis is an expert rider with an interest in building custom boards that will advance his riding pleasure. So far (the point of the post) the reports are favorable. I respect his opinions.

2) 25+ years of riding anything I can get my hands on has shown me that what is different today is standard the next.

3) Mike Tinkler has built the best boards I have yet to ride, bar none. This I KNOW.

And THIS is why I don't doubt it.....

I think Tinkler got an order for another four-figure custom and took it, and that's that.

I'm not trying to be negative, but there are some times when technical debate isn't necessary. No amount of unobtanium or shinola is going to make up for the fact that the ends of the board are off the ground.

This is what I know, Bryan: that rockered skis and boards have been built in the past. Look Lamar and Sims Kidwell come to mind. I think G&S made one too. Nobody builds rockered skis/boards for use on piste anymore for a reason. Pokkis is simply repeating history.

This is not a comment on pokkis's riding ability or Tinkler's (sexy) boards, or whatever. If he likes it then great. But I'll wager that right now he's trying very hard to figure out how to ride the thing, and why he spent all that money.

I have had no problem with board on any surface what i have tried untill today, i'v ebeen very happy camper with that one.

Being just mainly palying with sticks to really feel difference of more or less rocker on different surfaces.

I've been more trying to find surface where it does not work, and hope to find that one too during this season :rolleyes:

OK, forgetting the rockered Tinkler for a moment... I can tell you from experience that the nose profile on new Coilers *does* make the board feel shorter when running flat that it would with a previous-generation nose profile. And I can tell you from experience that it is a good thing.

The experience I am referring to is comparing a 172 AM-T demo from 4/07 to a 176 AM-T demo from 05/08 back to back on a few spring mornings at Bachelor. Snow conditions range from bulletproof frozen cord to 6-inch deep slush depending on time of day and where the shadows were. BTW both boards have a 12m sidecut. The 176 *might* be only 3 or so cm longer in effective edge than the 172 instead of 4, I'd have to ask Bruce.

No matter which snow surface the 176 felt shorter than the 172 when run flat. And it was good, because it was easier to skid and easier to maneuver through tracked-out off piste stuff, and drop in off the cornice on the Summit. When on edge it felt longer than the 172. Not only that the 176 hooks up "harder but at the same time smoother".

It still seems to me that the rockered tip/tail on Pokkis's board is just a very extreme version of the nose profiles on new Coilers, SGs, Kesslers, Prior Metals.

The flat middle, that's another story, and not one that I have any experience with