Note to New Members ×

convex base?

Hotbeans

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22573

Hey gang, I'm the seller. Bought this board locally and didn't ride or even tune it because through a fit of gear vaccuming it was more than I needed.

As I've stated to Hotbeans off-thread, I'm happy to refund his investment less shipping if he sends it back.

I'm learning a lot here about what to take pictures of in the future!

Any east coast suggestions for a tuner that might be able to get this flat?

Thanks again.

Hey Man, the best tuner that I know of, and the only person that tunes my boards, is Mike DeSantas from Ski MD out of Summit Ski & Snowboard Shop in Framingham, MA. His web-site is : www.skimd.com He has a link on BOL.

I know of many people on BOL have had Mike tune their boards with amazing results! I know it'd be a pain to ship the board to him, but if you're serious about fixing it and if Mike deems it repairable, might be worth considering. It'd be worth talking to him anyway.

Hope this helps.

Hey Man, the best tuner that I know of, and the only person that tunes my boards, is Mike DeSantas from Ski MD out of Summit Ski & Snowboard Shop in Framingham, MA. His web-site is : www.skimd.com He has a link on BOL.

I know of many people on BOL have had Mike tune their boards with amazing results! I know it'd be a pain to ship the board to him, but if you're serious about fixing it and if Mike deems it repairable, might be worth considering. It'd be worth talking to him anyway.

Hope this helps.

Meh, it's a $100 board. I'm not hotbeans, but if I were him, I'd take me up on my offer to give him his money back before I'd spend $100 on tuning a $100 board.

That is exactly what I thought when I saw the original post. Sever other companies have done this and/or are doing it. A lot of riders really like these boards. They are especially adept at rails, but several top notch riders have told me that they really like them everywhere.

Have you ridden one? I just got back from a demo day of easy rider tech. I did not hear a negative comment from anyone other than a few that said that they would not want it as their main ride - but still liked it for some applications. Everyone there (mostly instructors) agreed that it would make learning a lot easier. Beginners should progress nicely on these boards.

Specifically if you're trying to carve. As nice as it would be to never catch edges, I wouldn't personally push the design..I mean, I never would have gotten into hardbooting if it wasn't for that stupid edge high Rossi I got to use for a few days. Well, that and my dad not knowing how to snowboard and my brother being absent, so he kinda taught me how to ski on the poor thing.

Personally, if I was hitting rails and such, I would buy the Burton Dom Slick in a heartbeat, but I'm not, and neither are most beginners. I say, let them catch their edges, smack their faces into the ground, and respect the bite. It's how I learned how to ride, and I picked up hardbooting fairly quickly.

All to be taken with a grain of salt, truth be known, I don't know jack ****! :cool:

Personally, if I was hitting rails and such, I would buy the Burton Dom Slick in a heartbeat, but I'm not, and neither are most beginners. :

The Dom Slick and the Easy Rider Tech have very little in common when comparing edges. The ERT has edges that can be carved on very easily. I watched some guys rip some carves that would make most here envious.

I say, let them catch their edges, smack their faces into the ground, and respect the bite.

I've taught thousands upon thousands of newbs in my career and I can tell you that if we are trying to grow our sport, making beginner edge catches less prevalent is a better way to go than this. I am a big fan of growing our sport, so I look forward to having a complete ERT rental fleet - hopefully within the next two years.

As for the OP, I would say that you would want that thing ground for carving, but as someone else mentioned, why not ride it first and see what you think. If you tried the convex base, you would have a broader knowledge base of how board characteristics affect ride.

Personally, I like a flat base - even for the park.

burton LTR line, very good

unless something has changed and it may have in the last few years is that they were heavily beveled but the bases were fairly flat.

there was a board in their consumer line that had a park bevel too.

can't hate on the guys for making a product that helps people make their first turns

we all fear change

how can anyone diss something they have not tried

concave boards were once the norm, so were rockers

in '87

so were no edges, does not mean I'd expect a board to not have them.

that said, ride it and have fun on it. grind it even thin and ride it to death. it's a $100 board.

shawn - props for being standup.

I didn't think it was that bad. I have had to do serious work on beat boards and still ridden them and had the very real pleasure of not worrying about my edges.

I have had and ridden much worse. The one base high Mistral that I tried to save, we ground through to the base in a softball size egg patch. I still rode that for twenty days and went absolutely everywhere until I ripped out the heel edge doing the stupid trees.

Not to get in your biz Hotbeans, but you got a $100 board that could be pretty carvable, if not on par with something fresh. And there is no better carve practice than going all terrain on your carve stick. :eplus2:

Maybe have Shawn go halves with you on a local tune and see how it rides.

shawn - props for being standup.

I didn't think it was that bad. I have had to do serious work on beat boards and still ridden them and had the very real pleasure of not worrying about my edges.

I have had and ridden much worse. The one base high Mistral that I tried to save, we ground through to the base in a softball size egg patch. I still rode that for twenty days and went absolutely everywhere until I ripped out the heel edge doing the stupid trees.

Not to get in your biz Hotbeans, but you got a $100 board that could be pretty carvable, if not on par with something fresh. And there is no better carve practice than going all terrain on your carve stick. :eplus2:

Maybe have Shawn go halves with you on a local tune and see how it rides.

yeah, he's got a point.

I say ride it to the death. I'd not ever bother putting the time into $100 before selling it to see if it's flat. in fact any board the only time I check is when I buy it.

if you plan to check boards for flatness when you buy them you're in for a rude awakening. the only boards I've seen come out of the factory consistenly flat is coiler.

the idea that you'd send back a board to someone for this reason may be valid in your head but I suggest you bring a bar to your local shop and look at the boards there.

I can't believe the attention this thread is getting, but then again I did spend all weekend washing and waxing the cars in the hopes that it would make the snow gods finally see fit to ruin my hard work.

I want hotbeans to be happy. If that means sending the board back, that's cool, and if that means kicking some money to him for a tune, that's fine too. Really it's not that much $$$ in the big scheme of things and I'd rather have the good karma deposit than leave somebody pissed.

So beans, lemme know whatcha wanna do!

I agree! Shawndoggy's been standing tall on this all the way, so no worries on this side.

I heard back from skimd about the board. Mike says he feels this is a 'factory born' problem with the protons and is confident he can whip it into shape.

I know that I'm somewhat obsessive about mechanical/structural soundness and that buying a $100 board significantly increases the potential of cosmetic/base issues. However, this base issue wasn't noticed by the seller and I would have moved on looking for another relatively cheap gs board that some fun could be had with. As skimd thinks he can fix it, I'll send it off and have a $250 board with no worries. I also think there's some merit to spending a little $ fixing up an old board, if not just to give it some fresh legs/little bit of lovin', then to keep it out of the pile or possibly pass it on to a greenhorn.

(Incidently, my only other board IS a coiler, so the flatness on my first board would naturally be my point of reference. )

• 4 months later...