Note to New Members ×

convex base?

Hotbeans

I just picked up a board, well used, that has a *mostly* flat base and wanted to get some expert opinion here..

The base deflects ~ 1-2mm down each edge nearly the full length of the board. The curvature starts 1 cm from the edge as measured across the width of the base. Curvature is towards topsheet, so base would be convex (generalized for the sake of illustration). I haven't taken the flat edge to the topsheet side yet, so it may not involve the core at all, but possibly wear from edge tuning? oh heck.. here's a photo..

Ok to ride w/ this going on? Worth a base grind? Affect the ride very much?

post-6843-141842266153_thumb.jpg

Is it rideable? Yes, but the difference will be noticable compared to your other boards. It will affect the ride significantly.

Whether or not it's worth a grind depends on how many times it's been ground before, if ever. You'll have to see your local tuing shop for their opinion as to whether or not there is enough base material left to get the base flat. Just looking at it, my gut feeling is yes, but only if it hasn't been ground before. You can usually tell if a boards' been ground before by examining the base near the nose about halfway from the start of the curve to the tip. There will be a noticable change in the structure where the grinding wheel lifted off the board, or was lifted off the board.

good luck,

Dave R.

Ok. About a base tune...

Two of the inserts form little convex lumps that stand 0.5mm. I'm thinking that these might be the limiting factor on how much can be safely taken off. You think the base can still be ground flat? (sorry for all the questions. There isn't anyone who can do a grind around here. I'm going to have to ship it.)

post-6843-141842266177_thumb.jpg

post-6843-14184226618_thumb.jpg

so the base has slight bumps under the binders?

Could be your binding screws are slightly too long. Attempt shorter screws and if the bumps minimize then keep them in and tune. Depending on how many times it's been tuned you may extend the life a bit. I have ground through the base on a couple of boards trying to get them flat again. And it usually means for me the that the core has started to lose it's integrity.

so the base has slight bumps under the binders?

Could be your binding screws are slightly too long. Attempt shorter screws and if the bumps minimize then keep them in and tune. Depending on how many times it's been tuned you may extend the life a bit. I have ground through the base on a couple of boards trying to get them flat again. And it usually means for me the that the core has started to lose it's integrity.

I just picked up the board so I don't know it's history. Funny thing is, either the seller didn't mention that there were these issues or didn't notice himself. Either way, it's kind of a bummer thinking that I could wind up making a *bench* (Thanks for the idea, Thor!) out of it.

Any east coast suggestions for a tuner that might be able to get this flat?

Thanks again.

I'll get it out tomorrow night. Although it'll bug me that it may not be structurally sound, I should'nt make assumptions about ride quality until I get some ride time on it. If it rides like an aluminum disk sled then I'll need to contact the seller on this one..

I'm surprised at some of the posts on this thread.

The dimples shown in post #8 wouldn't really bother me much unless I paid a premium for the board. BUT... the pic in post #1 shows a board that is not ridable or needs a lot of work which will take years of life off of the board.

HB... you just bought this board and the damage wasn't stated by the seller.

Seller should hide in shame.

Trash... send it back!!

I have an old Nidecker 170GS with a small amount of damage that you can have HB... it would ride way better than this piece of garbage.

You know, Burton puts base-high into new boards and calls it easy rider?

That is exactly what I thought when I saw the original post. Sever other companies have done this and/or are doing it. A lot of riders really like these boards. They are especially adept at rails, but several top notch riders have told me that they really like them everywhere.

Silly...

Have you ridden one? I just got back from a demo day of easy rider tech. I did not hear a negative comment from anyone other than a few that said that they would not want it as their main ride - but still liked it for some applications. Everyone there (mostly instructors) agreed that it would make learning a lot easier. Beginners should progress nicely on these boards.

That is exactly what I thought when I saw the original post. Sever other companies have done this and/or are doing it. A lot of riders really like these boards. They are especially adept at rails, but several top notch riders have told me that they really like them everywhere.

Have you ridden one? I just got back from a demo day of easy rider tech. I did not hear a negative comment from anyone other than a few that said that they would not want it as their main ride - but still liked it for some applications. Everyone there (mostly instructors) agreed that it would make learning a lot easier. Beginners should progress nicely on these boards.

Sure, its nearly impossible to catch the downhill edge while skidding around. Conversely, it's nearly impossible to transition onto an edge.