Note to New Members ×

05 Summit Expression Session - Use this thread for talk

Michelle

It would be a shame if there was nobody there from Wisconsin to make fun of so I am going to do every thing I can to witness the event for my first time. Plus everyone can see what riding on midwest ice for 10 years can do for ones riding. Now if only I can find a friend to go with. Keep you posted, Jon

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by yyzcanuck

If you don't mind the drive (approx. 35-40 minutes) from Glenwood Springs to the Aspen/Snowmass area... then consider this motel:

Cedar Lodge Motel

(970) 945-6579

http://www.cedarlodgemotel.net/

Room with 2 queen beds = $70+tax

I would think one would be able to find something comparable in Carbondale, which is a little closer than Glenwood

Glendwood is a neat town tho. Was looking at RE there for a while.

Glenwood Springs is a LONG drive, after a day of carving and if you want to go to any of the after parties, plus the weather could make it real fun driving, and you have to do it for 7 days! Carbondale or Basalt is a much better option, in my opinion. Basalt even has a Best Western. Check out the lodging page on the SES site.

Guest boogieman

hello, im from belgium and i would like to come over but the plain tikets will already cost me a fortune and i would like to save a little on the hotel room if possible ive seen rates like 300 dollars a night in the hotels in aspen !!! and im not intending to pay 37,5 dollar an hour just to sleep so if anyone is interested in charing a room with me please let me know

thanks alex

Boogieman: write to Michelle at bomber@bomberonline.com as she has tons of information on housing options. Also, keep an eye on this board as people are posting looking for room-mates.

ARCrider: Good news, we will have three 175 Swoards at the SES this year and possibly more if the Swoard guys come again like last year. But for sure three. And they will be one of each of the stiffness levels so you can find the one you like the best.

Yes, Vail is closer to Aspen than Denver. Basically, it is the same route you are just cutting about 2 hours off of the drive. So from Vail to Aspen it is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. You also fly in on the west side of Vail pass, so if it is closed you have no problem still getting to Aspen (as long as the airport in Eagle/Vail is open). I don't know about shuttles from Vail to Aspen. You can try this web site. http://www.coloradomountainexpress.com/

MJ

Hi all,

You can get the Aspen Classic Pass for 4 or 7 days this year. Only one catch, you must be in person to buy it. They are going on sale in Glenwood Springs Oct. 23-24 and in Denver West at Christy Sports Oct. 30-31. The 4 day pass is $129, and the 7 day pass is $199. For more info. on the Aspen Classic Pass and more dates around CO, call 800.525.6200.

In other news Sue and I are now living in Edwards, CO and may be able to house a few on thier way to SES 05. We plan on attending most, if not all of the event this year. We have 3 extra showers and lots of floor space, just 2 extra beds, sorry!

For those driving to Aspen, we now own Marko's Pizza in Gypsum, CO which is on the way up. Stop by and have some good food and drink before making the long haul to Aspen. Gypsum, CO is two exits before the Glenwood Springs canyon.

Hope all of you are well,

Todd

FYI on some Glenwood (GWS) info. I live here so I hope this helps someone. GWS is only 10 minutes from Carbondale and if you miss every light it may be 13 minutes. Another 10 minutes to Basalt (not much lodging in Basalt).

From my house to the base of Buttermilk usually takes me 45 minutes and a good day may be as little as 40 minutes. Only once did it take me about 1 hour and 15 minutes in a dumping storm. The roads are usually well taken care of but once in awhile they can't keep up. If it's dumping then just get up early and leave early, eat breakfast at the mtn.

Add 5 minutes if you go to Snowmass, Aspen or Highlands. Also add time for the Snowmass shuttle if you park in the free lot, then it takes about another 10 minutes from the lot to the base.

That covers your travel time, you add in your changing/goofing off time to that above.

GWS is a cool town with more to offer (my opinion) than Carbondale or Basalt. Much cheaper than Aspen/Snowmass. Many great restaurants to choose from and 1/2 the price too.

If you have questions feel free to write me at jparker@sopris.net

Have fun, Joel

I just talked to Resort Express and they do charters from Denver to Aspen. If anyone is interested, it would be $82 one way, and we would have to pick a time that works for everyone. We could do a couple of vans, but this rate is based on 10 people/van. Otherwise, you can go online and get a deal for $79 from DIA to Hwy 82 and Brush Creek Rd which is Snowmass. You can then get a taxi or friend to bring you the rest of the way in to town. You can also book a door to door shuttle DIA to Aspen for $104.

If you are interested in this, please email me and I will keep a running list of people. In January I can let everyone know what is going on with the transportation, maybe sooner if this gets a big response.

No plans for ski plane this winter to Aspen from DIA

By Naomi Havlen

October 20, 2004

A flight from Denver to Aspen that in the past has worked for a quick ski trip won't be running again this winter, in part because the airlines have learned to schedule planes to better serve out-of-state visitors.

The Aspen Ski Plane was a hit during the winter of 2001-2002, when it offered a round-trip flight between Denver and Aspen and a lift ticket for $99 plus tax. It was less popular the following season when it was offered only on weekdays.

The reason for the plane's demise this year and last is simply because of a new, more convenient schedule United is offering to Aspen that benefits flights connecting to Aspen from out of state, but leaves no room for a ski plane from Denver. What made the ski plane work for United Express was the fact that it had an empty plane running between Denver and Aspen early every morning.

"The first flight is now timed to make inbound connections from many of our top markets - Dallas, Chicago and Washington, D.C., to name a few," said Bill Tomcich, president of Stay Aspen Snowmass, the town's central reservation agency. "It's no longer an empty repositioning flight."

The ski plane didn't operate last winter - Tomcich said if it had, it would have had a very frustrating schedule.

"We counted maybe eight days in February and seven day sin March when flights were available in both directions to create a day trip up to Aspen," he said. "So instead of frustrating guests with never being available, why launch the program in the first place?"

The good news, however, is that flights are filling up throughout the holidays, and the connections make it easier for out-of-state guests to come quickly from Denver to Aspen after first arriving in Colorado.

"United has a much better schedule," Tomcich said, especially considering that guests from elsewhere in the country and the world spend their money on lodging and dining in Aspen, compared to day-trippers who ski, eat lunch and leave as it's getting dark.