Note to New Members ×

Used hardboot shopping

BadBrad

I'm looking for some advice on used boot shopping. My preference is for something that has a fairly soft flex, and I'd like it to be Intec and BTS compatible.

I'm just wondering what changes were made through the years, and if there are certain model and features I should look for. For example, maybe they significantly improved the buckle design a certain year so I should look for boots made after the change.

Also, which models were at the softer end of the flex range?

Thanks.

gecko's talking about Nordicas.

I still run SBHs because they're so comfy and great for freeriding, nice and soft and forgiving, made for my wide feet.

http://www.alpinecarving.com/boot_models.html

My new Head Stratos need to be dialed in, footbeds etc.

The thermoform (flex ?) liners mold to your feet but I've never had them.

Stiffer race boots are great for better performance but they tire out my dogs a lot faster.

hope that helps, read that boot write, good beta Brad

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18195&highlight=nordica

gecko's talking about Nordicas.

I still run SBHs because they're so comfy and great for freeriding, nice and soft and forgiving, made for my wide feet.

http://www.alpinecarving.com/boot_models.html

My new Head Stratos need to be dialed in, footbeds etc.

The thermoform (flex ?) liners mold to your feet but I've never had them.

Stiffer race boots are great for better performance but they tire out my dogs a lot faster.

hope that helps, read that boot write, good beta Brad

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18195&highlight=nordica

Willy, you need to take those boots to a ski shop with one of those hair dryer thingies if you're using the stock head liners - they won't self-mold without a little heat.

Bomber or YYZCanuck folks may tell you differently, but this is what my experience has been:

The only meaningful changes between the 200 series and LeMans/Spa were the liners. Likewise the only meaningful difference between the AF600/AF700 and the Suzuka/Indy were the liners. Anything else was virtually undetectable. I have owned a LOT of boots, having wanted to try various stiffnesses and models and also having broken quite a few shells due to sucking for many years ;)

It looks like a significant change in the Deeluxe line happened in 2007 when they went to real buckles.

Yes, the buckles themselves are significant in that they don't wear out quikcly like the zip-ties. I went from Suzukas to Track 700's and from what I can tell the Track 700 lower shell is similar stiffness to the Indy, but the supper shell is similar stiffness to the Suzuka. I personally love this, as the lower shell doesn't flex like crazy which means I don't feel like I'm about to eject from the boot, but the upper shell is pilaible enough to let my ankles do some work.

I have not tried the Track 225 or 325 but aside from buckles my observation the Track 325 in action has been "very stiff - way stiffer than the 700 - your stance better be set up perfectly". One fellow here at Bachleor has gotta be 230 pounds, riding the size 20 or 31, and he looks like he can;t move his ankles at all.

I have not tried the Track 225 or 325 but aside from buckles my observation the Track 325 in action has been "very stiff - way stiffer than the 700 - your stance better be set up perfectly". One fellow here at Bachleor has gotta be 230 pounds, riding the size 20 or 31, and he looks like he can;t move his ankles at all.

really?

years ago I was running some of the blue SBs that came with yellow and red tongues. are the 325 stiffer than that?

I found the AF700 much more supportive, even though being more even flexing with the spring and all.

I was comparing to Track 700 not AF 700.

I had the same "blue + red" which were 325's. I used to opt for the yellow tongues as I thought the red ones were a bit much. I have not personally tried the new 325's myself but I know one rider, much more experirnced and skilled than I, who ditched tham after only a few days and there is another Bacehlor rider, bigger and less experienced, who looks like he's riding in to cement blocks. I have seen him ride softies and he looks a lot more "normal" in those.

Buckle upgrade relate dwear is over rated, i've been on Raichle/Deeluxe boots now since -98, run roughly 60 days per season and now on 3rd boots and none of them has had any wear problem. My only real problem has been icing of buckles, plus from Indys i've been blowing 3 sets of ankle "joints" but replaced them with more proper screw setup.

I've could have survived with 2 sets of boots but due i bought one set of orange Indy's for spare and blow second ankle joint on previous i took sthem in use instead repairing them, being just lazy :rolleyes:

But yes, idf they would produce set of decent color set of Indy's with new buckles, i might buy them just for curiosity, but as long they produce those sissy girlie white once, no thanks for me :eplus2:

I'm 160 lbs and in size 27, the Track 325 are significantly stiffer than my old SB 124, but at room temp I can still flex the shells some- in a forward direction, at least. Haven't gotten them onto the snow yet.

Oh, and the buckes- they're worlds better.