Note to New Members ×

Abasin Friday 12/5

Thor VonRippington

Neither of your predictions turned out snowman... no sun but the snow was stellar... soft "Colorado super-grip".

Cool to see seven HBers on the hill this early!

Chris... I don't know your screen name here on BOL but be sure to shoot an email or post your ride plans.

ssegress at gmail dot com

And to anyone riding at A basin tomorrow. Please call Stan if you find his lungs. He lost them somewhere between the 1st and 2nd run

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thanks for asking!

It was a bit scary on the drive up to say the least. I have been rehabing just about every day since the injury but I'm still not 100% which doesn't help the nerves.

Anyhow, first run was a bit tentative and awkward. It's hard to drive the front leg (the broken one) to the outside. Toe turns are not an issue but the heelside took some warming up. Runs two and three were much easier than the first but still awkward. I think it's going to take time on the mountain as the next step in my rehab which is not a bad thing.

Hope to go back up on Wednesday and then have the following two weeks off to continue the rehab process i.e. crank some turns

Hey Guys that were there Friday...how much of the mountain is open? We're thinking about going there tomorrow to skip the insane crowds (read: carnage) at Breck, but I checked the website and it says they only have 11 trails open. Last RSN snow report I saw said 24, I think...so I want the story from someone who has been there. I'm hoping its worth it or we'll have the same crowd problem as we do here...ugh! It'll be my first time at the Basin, fyi ...

A Basin is the happiest place on earth:1luvu:

My only regret is that we're home already...I could have ridden all day, but the other half is just getting back into skiing and he can't stick it out for a full day yet. Regardless, I can't wipe the smile off my face!

ShredderJen - I'll be at the Basin at least one day next weekend. Wish I could come meet up with you guys during the week (esp cause I'd love to spend my bday - Wednesday - there)...but no can do. I'll be at Breck a few days this week for some lunchtime runs, but other than that I think we'll be heading to the Basin every weekend! The dude-bra quota is MUCH lower, which is always pleasing.

There was another hardbooter there today, but I couldn't catch up with him...anyone on here??

That's cool you had a good time at the basin Angie! It's definitely a local favorite for many carvers. Weekends are not nearly as insane as some of the other fancy-pants type areas or even Loveland as it's off the beat'n path a ways. You'll like it even more when they get enough snow to open the whole thing. There will be some dude-bra factor when the park opens but not to the extent of Breck.

Get your manly man over to the Bomber store and get him on some real gear!

Get your manly man over to the Bomber store and get him on some real gear!

We're working on it...the seeds are being planted :eplus2:

I'm hoping to get him on softies for a few days before we come to SES, so he can try hardboots there, but we'll see. Still trying to figure out what the heck we're doing for that and if he can even come.

I was shocked at the crowd level at the Basin...I think there were less people there than at Breck on a weekday! Hopefully I'll be able to catch up with you guys there eventually!

I might take you up on those bindings, we'll see if I can get a conversion to the dark side.

I am for the most part a weekender, but I make it up to Breck for a few hours a couple days a week. No one in the office cares if you go out for a couple hours as long as you get the 40 in, which is nice. The problem is, since I just transfered to this office, I can't really (well don't feel right yet) skipping out long enough to come to the Basin for a half a day or something. Maybe later in the season though :)

I rode with the Lovey crew one day last season, so I'd be up for the occassional day over there too!