Note to New Members ×

Kessler still crowned the king of Metal boards ?

Louis

Hi guys,

Im just throwing this for fun, I just ordered a stubbie from BV, 171 cm 14.2m radius 21cm waist :)

I'm still curious about the competition (concerning metal boards) I think I did the best choice I could make, encouraging a very skilled builder in my own country does feel good :)

Now that metal is a common material among most builders... the question to ask before a purchase is:

What kind of ride am I looking for?

Kessler makes a great board, but do you really want/need a race board? Yes they are fun to ride, but not an all day board (for me).

If you want a metal free carve board that is more forgiving to ride or more versatile than a race board, check out Virus, Coiler, Donek, or Prior. They all make race boards too, but definitely have the goods for those of us who have put the race gear aside.

Edit: My post came up the same time as Bruce's... what he said

I've never ridden a Kessler, but my Coiler (very similar specs to yours) leaves me no desire to pay that premium.

I'll say similar, like exactly ! Its now called the "M spec stubby"

I have a Kessler and no complaints from me. Its a full on race model and of course very good at what it is designed for. However as in most sports as the racing gear gets more dedicated it gets farther away from what most people need to ride. Not sure what else he offers but surely he is busy enough building race stuff.

My NSRs utilize a similar design of which he pioneered but I ease off to make them a bit easier to ride than the full on race versions.

Got to give him credit for putting Titanal on the map for us in its current configuration!

BV

I currently ride a Kessler, but grew up riding Coilers, and agree with BV 100%. His boards are easier to ride, as the Kesslers are VERY race specific. The dampness of the Coilers are very similar to Kesslers... If you are not gate training, I would go with the Coiler and never look back. Kesslers are great at releasing the turns-- a very specific technique that racers focus on, but when freecarving I prefer to hang on the turn at the end creating nice round turns!

Ahh it's good to have a computer and be back on BOL again!

I've done some A/B testing on my NSR 185 and a Kessler 180-something with a Hangl plate. I suspect if both boards had or didn't have the Hangl plate they would have felt more similar than different. The Kessler w/ plate was hanging onto the frozen death cookies that were prevalent that day better then the plate-free Coiler, but even so I enjoyed the Coiler more as it didn't have the extra umpteen pounds of the Hangl plate which wore on my front ankle on the chair and had a slightly smoother initiation.

My NSR has a very similar taper to the Kesslers and if you get it onto a run that isn't flat it makes circular turns just fine!

I'll say similar, like exactly ! Its now called the "M spec stubby"

I think I may weep openly. My first "signature" board! :biggthump

Keep that template somewhere safe, I'll need another one when this one wears out! I've never bought the same board twice, but this is finally "the one".

Although when I took delivery of it at Stowe, Shred held his Schtubby X2 up to mine base to base just for grins and indeed mine was 1cm shorter - so it should be 170cm.

I think I may weep openly. My first "signature" board! :biggthump

Keep that template somewhere safe, I'll need another one when this one wears out! I've never bought the same board twice, but this is finally "the one".

Although when I took delivery of it at Stowe, Shred held his Schtubby X2 up to mine base to base just for grins and indeed mine was 1cm shorter - so it should be 170cm.

another die hard coiler rider!

Three of the four coilers I've had built for me have been at the time I've gotten them the best board(for me!) I'd been on at that point. I'm getting more comfortable with the stubby and it's dethroning my metal prior as the favorite.

Bruce, you've made fanatic out of me!

I may be getting on the Coiler train as well. If my Madd days are truly numbered I'll be giving Bruce a call.

Any recommendations for short hills and bulletproof ice? ....Not west coast ice, not even VT ICE, glare ice. The kind of ice that blinds you when it's looked upon. The kind of ice that happens when the snowmakers let their water hoses run onto the slope overnight, leaving rippled frozen streams. The kind of ice which displays the previous spring seasons chipmunks, turtles and rabbits frozen in place to the ground like an iced over fish tank. It's kinda weird to look down and see frozen animal faces looking back at you while you're riding. OK, I'm exagerating.

I think you'll find some argument from the SG crowd. :)

Podiums don't lie.

:1luvu:

I really enjoy riding my new Full race .75 metal board. Although it is meant to be a competition board, it works great for carving. It is somehow different, but on the ice...it is amazing.

Maybe a recommendation for you, Erik :)

Any recommendations for short hills and bulletproof ice? ....Not west coast ice, not even VT ICE, glare ice. The kind of ice that blinds you when it's looked upon. The kind of ice that happens when the snowmakers let their water hoses run onto the slope overnight, leaving rippled frozen streams. The kind of ice which displays the previous spring seasons chipmunks, turtles and rabbits frozen in place to the ground like an iced over fish tank. It's kinda weird to look down and see frozen animal faces looking back at you while you're riding. OK, I'm exagerating.

post-2309-141842265552_thumb.jpg