good beer

bobdea

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found the Palo to be very enjoyable for about the first 6 to 8 ounces. After that I was kind of muscling my way through it. It's just so thick and chewy, dare I say syrupy. Almost too much. And the wood flavor is nice, but again for me it starts out as a good thing but gets to be too much after several sips.

Is there any point to aging filtered beer? I would think without any sediment in the bottle there'd be nothing happening...? The Leviathan is filtered. Palo is not, as I'm sure you know.

Try the Leviathan.

Have you tried Samichlaus? That will put hair on your chest.

I've actually never tried aging non-filtered beer, so I can't say definitely. However, I would have to say that filtered beer would not age well, with perhaps a few exceptions. Most unfiltered beer is made that way because they want the beer to develop bottle complexity over time spent on sediment.

And no, I've never tried Leviathan or Samichlaus. I'll keep my eyes out though. My project over the next week is to develop my new beer list for the restaurant opening up on the 1st. It's going to be kickas

I'm attempting to become a beer guy...

I'm currently enjoying Harpoon Hefeweizen UFO. Good Stuff. I tried Portsmouth Brewery's Dirty Blonde a few weeks ago and that was really good stuff. Nice and wheaty. Yum.

yer supposed pop a lemon wedge in there, justin.

I have a UFO cap lifter on my keys, got it at the brewery during a tasting. Harpoon IPA is one of my fav everyday beers.

if ya like wheaty try some hefeweizen, may I recommend Julius Echter

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/176/613

Catamount in Vermont used to have a great Wheat beer

post-123-141842272397_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Willy.

I'll check out that Julius Echter. Anyplace near by that you know of that has it? I make trips down into MA a little more than monthly, so even someplace near you would work.

Julius Echter can be found at any liquor store with an imported beer selection. Pretty common stuff.

It'll have a nice sediment on the bottom, you'll wanna spin it up a little before you pour.

More murphy's stout last night.Chases down a sip of Wild Turkey American Honey very nicely.

post-123-141842272559_thumb.jpg

I'm drinking a bottle of Stone Ruination, and man is it tasty. It's hoppiness is so well balanced between the aromatic hop oils and the bittering hop oils it isn't even funny.

God damn.

I have 50 bottles of DFH 120 minute ipa aging in a box in my basement, was a birthday present, I'll open em in a few years.

All time favorite beer hands down. When it's fresh it's a little too sweet, but aged a little it's perfect.

If I recall it's 18% abv, little more after aging.

I have 50 bottles of DFH 120 minute ipa aging in a box in my basement, was a birthday present, I'll open em in a few years.

All time favorite beer hands down. When it's fresh it's a little too sweet, but aged a little it's perfect.

If I recall it's 18% abv, little more after aging.

Alcohol content doesn't change with aging. It just integrates with everything else better. And yeah, I will agree, aged 120 is a beautiful thing. Also, I believe the 120 is more in the 20-22% range.

Just finished putting together my beer list. What do you think?

Beer list:

Within each country, the beers are listed from lightest to heaviest. Got any questions? Feel free to ask us anything.

Belgium:

-Cantillon Gueuze- A blend of old and young Lambics; tart, earthy, funky, awesome. 5% abv

-Oud Beersel Framboise- Wow. Best framboise ever. A very traditional, tart, raspberry lambic, this is a sexy beer. 6% abv

-Saison Dupont- Ripe fruit, barnyard funk and a chalky, yeasty herbaceousness combine for a perfect farmhouse ale. 6.5% abv

-de Ranke XX Bitter- A hoppier Belgian brew, with tropical and citrus fruit hiding behind the earthy, hoppy goodness. 6.2% abv

-Orval- The "Queen of Trappist Ales" has a beautiful earthy complexity, and has been made since the 1100's. It's just that good. 6.9% abv

-La Chouffe- Champagne-like mouthfeel is the hallmark of this big, bold, yet subtle Strong Pale Ale. 8% abv

-Duvel- Yeasty, musty, fruity and refreshing. One of the Belgian classics. 8.5% abv

-Delerium Tremens- Fresh, medium-bodied and fruity, with enticing, lingering brown baking spices. 9% abv

-St. Bernardus Tripel- Uber-malty, balanced fruit, and this crazy buttery/toffee/carmel subtlety combine for a rocking Abbey ale. 8% abv

C-himay Grande Reserve (Blue Label)- Dark, brooding and mysterious, with woodsy floral craziness. 9% abv

France:

-Bieres 23 Ambree- Amber in color, with rich fruit up front that expands exponentially on the palate, finishing with a peppery, sous bois funk. 5% abv

-La Bavaisienne- Rustic, yet approachable. Juicy fruit, and a chalky, slightly bitter finish. A perfect food beer. 7% abv

-Belzebuth- Hoo boy... Drunk and candied fruit dominate the nose, with a clean, spicy sweetness on the finish. Watch yourself... 13% abv

Britain:

-Fuller's ESB- Caramel notes and a malty palate define the "World's Original Extra Special Bitter." 5.9% abv

-Traquair House Scotch Ale- Rich and complex, fig, caramel and earth notes come in waves across the palate. 7.2% abv

-Thomas Hardy's Ale- "The rarest ale in Britain." Insanely aromatic, with stewed fruits and spice, this is the Port of beers. Oh yeah. 11.9% abv

North America, Belgian Style:

-Avery White Rascal- A light-bodied, subtle witbier, with only a touch of citric hoppiness. 5.5% abv

-Allagash White- Smooth, yet crisp, with the lemon and orange peel coming to the forefront. A classic witbier. 5% abv

-Unibroue Don de Dieu- Clover honey and ripe stone fruit are the hallmarks in this complex, subtle, fantastic brew. 9% abv

-Ommegang Three Philosophers- Rich, dark, caramelly and malty. Think chocolate covered cherries in liquid form. So good. 9.8% abv

United States:

-Amstel Light- It's a light beer. One of the better light beers, but again, a light beer. 3.5% abv

-Rogue Morimoto Soba Ale- A very unique, light, nutty buckwheat ale. Very food friendly, especially with fish dishes. 4.8% abv

-J.K. Scrumpy's Hard Cider- Best. Cider. Ever. All the musty, apple-y goodness you want from a cider, but not sickeningly sweet. 5.5% abv

-Coors- A tasty American Lager with more flavor than its competitors. 5% abv

-Victory Prima Pils- Spicy and floral hops are at the forefront of this pilsner, but by no means do they overpower. 5.3% abv

-Anchor Steam- A California classic. Very well balanced, with caramel notes and a great fruit character. 4.9% abv

-Rogue Dead Guy- Goes down way too easily. Toasted malt and bitter hops are impeccably balanced. 6.5% abv

-Stone Ruination IPA- Wow. Smooth, with most of the hop flavor in aromatics, not bitterness. Beastly. 7.7% abv

-Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA- Hops hops hops. Citric, herbal and piney hop notes dominate this Imperial IPA. 9% abv

-Avery The Czar- A delicious Imperial Stout with all the roasted malt you would expect, and super creamy to boot. 12.2% abv

-Dogfish Head Palo Santo Maron- Aged in massive Palo Santo wood barrels, this dark amber beer is bold, yet balanced. 12% abv

-Victory Old Horizontal Barleywine- Creamy, smooth, almost chewy. Malt character runs the gamut. Yowza. 11% abv

Just finished putting together my beer list. What do you think?

Nice work, there is a shortage of restaruants/bars that serve high-end connoisseur beers. But umm, you forgot Germany? I like Ayinger Celebrator, Ayinger Ur-Weiss, Aventinus, Aventinus Eisbock, Paulaner, Spaten Optimator, Schneider Weiss, Franziskaner, to name a few.

Belgian list is incomplete without Leffe Blonde (or the Brun if you can get it - doubt it). Other great Belgians are Gulden Draak, Grimbergen, and Hoegaarden. Our one high-end bier garden had a keg of Agustijn Grand Cru, it was awesome, but I haven't seen it in bottles here. I liked it better than regular Augustijn.

England - Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - the gold standard of all Brown ales.

US - try the Harpoon Leviathan series!

Amstel Light is from Amsterdam.

Coors???

Just got a six of DFH 90minute IPA to age...along with a bunch of singes to try

They sell 90 minute in sixers now? Good, I hate this 4-pack trend. Only good for one sitting! ;)

But again, what is the point of aging filtered beer? Without sediment in the bottle, nothing is happening, right?

They sell 90 minute in sixers now? Good, I hate this 4-pack trend. Only good for one sitting! ;)

But again, what is the point of aging filtered beer? Without sediment in the bottle, nothing is happening, right?

been a long time since I brewed, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong

yeast are still fermenting it, slowly but surely

the beers before being aged will be very sweet, during the aging process the sugars are broken down into alcohol and carbonation even further by the small, but still alive yeast.

After moving from Portland, OR, which many experts say is the beer capital of the world, I was ready to start drinking cheap beer again. But I found that Missoula has some great beers brewed here. And Montana in general has many quality breweries. I should probably start cutting back on the experimentation. But you know, life is too short to drink crappy beer.

Bayern Pilsner

Big Sky IPA

Bitteroot IPA

Bayern Dancing Trout PA

are some of my favorites. And another reason I want to stay here in Missoula for much longer.

Ed

Post -bottling, the yeast is no longer active, sugar content and alcohol content will remain the same. However, the 90 minute isn't very filtered and is still cloudy.

Higher alcohol and/or high hop content filtered beers do stand to benefit from aging, sometimes. As time wears on, hop acids and oils, and alcohol integrate with everything else. Yeast cells and other detritus, however small, break down. I'm not sure of the exact complex chemical processes that go on, but I know the empirical difference in the taste.

yeah but right before you bottle you put in the finishing sugar so your leftover yeast carbonates the bottle (unless you force carbonate it.) Which usually takes 2 weeks. I was under the impression that the yeast continue's fermenting well after it's ready to drink, but at a much slower rate. I do know that something breaks the sugar down during the aging process, I just thought that it was the yeast. I'll take your word for it as I am very rusty.

yeah I intentionally miss Germany and Belgium but that has as much to do with a dislike for particular styles of beer as anything else...

Jack I bought 2 sixes from a local package store that does build your own sixpack one of DFH 90 minute and one of various porter's/milk stouts

leftover sugars and ageing

there's a process that I forget the name and details of but at least with spirits it has to do with certain sugars being broken down into simpler sugars I assume and also essential oils breaking down from whatever said booze is flavored with.

I've heard some fusels break down too but I am not sure I buy this, might be a legend more than a reality because in my experience a crap spirit that sits for a few years does not seem to get better and if this were the case some of us would be buying poland spring vodka and aging it with good results.

You can filter poland spring or run it through a still again and get a better product though.

low heat and lots of reflux is key when making 'shine.