Note to New Members ×

Eurocarve boards

dave29

Are you talking about boards like Swoard and Donek Blade? These are much wider than a standard race or freecarve deck and not as stiff. The waist on my 180 Donek blade is 23.5 cm and most race decks are 18-19.5 cm. I like riding my blade without doing fully laid out turns as I have dislocated both shoulders and have had surgery on them and don't want to drag my arms on the snow during a turn. Also I am not that good of a rider to be able to do this. If you are interested in doing fully laid out turns it could be done on almost any alpine board if you have the skills to do so. These boards were designed to make it eaiser due to wider width and mellower stance angles.

I think what we tend to call a eurocarve or extremecarving board is relatively wide (21+cm), not much camber compared to e.g. a traditional Virus, not too much pop, forgiving nature, long effective edge , almost hammerhead nose, soft flex pattern, length somewhere between a GS and an SL board. Like a Swoard, like Virus X-treme, etc.

These boards are great fun in certain conditions but can be boring in other conditions. Depends on what you want to do with it.

Wider boards allow wider binding angles which allow a more comfortable stance. For some riders wider angles means more edge pressure which offers more stability in a turn and along with the larger side cut allow the rider to get low.

Most riders that have taken a Blade for a ride described it as very hooky which is mainly the result of the increased board width. In some cases it takes a few runs for a rider to get comfortable with the particular boards but once he gets passed the slow transition he can really feel confident with his turns and start laying them down.

I'm a big fan of wide decks, but I don't really e-carve.

In my case alpine was getting stale and I was looking for something different. I found the e-carver setup a little softer, more forgiving and fun. I can now crank deep powered up decambered turns at lower speeds and on smaller hills. I'm also more comfortable with the setup on ice and mixed crud conditions.

It's really been a good time, but I find I can get lazy and need to ride a skinny board once in a while to sharpen up.

If you want to experiment, try plates on a freeride board.

I was in the market for a Swoard until I tried one. I discovered that steeper angles are more comfortable for me. Low angles introduced a number of lift/cant issues that needed resolution. The transition for mondo 29 feet can be rather slow with low angles. I'm sure that I could get used to it and perhaps cross training different boards and angles is a good thing. I just didn't find that the Swoard provided me with an improved way of achieving fully laid out turns. For the same price you cand get a metal Prior....so I will.

Prior's got a template for 21 wide 173 and 183, and 23 wide 177. 21 is not quite as wide as Swoard, but is nice.

Ask him about the flex, though, as he tends to just increase the width without reducing the core thickness, so the 21 boards end up little bit stiffer then stock. A lot stiffer in the case of 23.