Note to New Members ×

Lil Computer help - problem solver needed

C5 Golfer

My friend's computers of which there are two - one at home and at work exhibit the same problem. When in MSN Mail or Hotmail to retreive an email, after it is read she deletes it, and then in a short while she checks email again the deleted message is back. Any idea from any of you smart people how or why this would happen? Even moving it from inbox to the deleted folder manually - it does the same thing comes back into her inbox.

Win XP if that makes a difference. Oh and by the way buying a Mac is not an option!!!!:)

Help me out here. Thanks in advance:smashfrea

some email clients will do that if you have some preferences set wrong

here's what happens, you check the mail and the client retrieves the mail from the server. you delete the copy of the message stored locally but your email client is not set to delete the messages from the server so then the next time the client checks the mail it sees it sitting on the server and retrieves it.

the remedy here is to set your client to delete messages from the server either when you delete the local copy or when it downloads them the first time.

I have not had this happen for a long time, was common in the dark ages of email. hahaha, I used compuserve. that MIGHT be the issue assuming the client is set up wonky.

some email clients will do that if you have some preferences set wrong

here's what happens, you check the mail and the client retrieves the mail from the server. you delete the copy of the message stored locally but your email client is not set to delete the messages from the server so then the next time the client checks the mail it sees it sitting on the server and retrieves it.

the remedy here is to set your client to delete messages from the server either when you delete the local copy or when it downloads them the first time.

I have not had this happen for a long time, was common in the dark ages of email. hahaha, I used compuserve. that MIGHT be the issue assuming the client is set up wonky.

It is an MSN account-- where would I find this client set up? or where do I set the preferences. I also have MSN and I do not even find a tab or page to even enter this stuff. Any idea Bob?

hot mail is not an application, hence the question.

Sorry -- thought it was .. if you go to MSN.com , on the top near the left side it has "HotMail" go there for my email. does this help?

Also - can you tell me what you call that Hot Mail Page of MSN so I do not refer to it as an application?

thanks Trailer

It's a web page. (technically it's a web application, but nevermind.)

A traditional email client "application" would be Outlook and the like.

Ok - now we are talking!!!! we have the correct vernacular - lets get to the real problem -- it is a web page of MSN.COm's Hot Mail where she accesses her Email - she deletes an email by checking the box , clicks on "delete" and the message goes away... only to come back later on that day when she check her email again.. Can anyone tell me why?????? and more important how to fix it.

I recommend you nuke it from orbit. With Microsoft, it's the only way to be sure.

lol

and to think I've been holding back on slamming M$ in this thread.

I use outlook at work, it only fails to do what it's suppossed to once a week, this means every other time I check the orders it does something!!!!!