Note to New Members ×

Mont Tremblant Gathering

yyzcanuck

Let's give this a go...

"Southern Québec Session" would be "Session du Sud du Québec" ("de" ou "du" quand on parle de la province dans ce contexte?)

Ride doesn't mean carve... in fact, after verifying various billigual publications, I can't even find a word for carving. Les Québécois, vous appelez ça quoi? Du "carving"? Même en ski? Dans le sud de France, ça ne parle jamais de ski, hahaha...

"Session Quebec Sud" is the short for "Session du Sud du Quebec", in french, in this context, using the 'du' is superflous. An in the play on word, it would mean geographically it is in the southern part of Quebec the Province. In addition, in allows the french and english to be the same 'SQS'.

Lots of english word in french riding, hence extremecarver does not need translation. As for carving, we use it all the time, as mentioned above, there is no french word for it. Same use in windsurfing context.

Southern France has some awesome mountain in the Pyrenees by the way, a fairly active group on the EC forum.

Hope I can still go whatever the name of the session will be:biggthump

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...Lots of english words in french riding, hence extremecarver does not need translation. As for carving, we use it all the time, as mentioned above, there is no french word for it.

Indeed, Québec imports way too many english words from France :eplus2:.

As for carving, though, our alpine cousins sometimes use a genuinely french verb: "tracer" ("tracer des rails dans la piste" carving trenches, "tracer dans la poudreuse" etc). It's just not heard very often here - maybe this hot linguistic thread will set a trend ???

Seriously though, I think if anything, Québec probably puts more distance between themselves and English out of being stubborn than you would believe. I think when it comes to just speaking, Québec's residents may be a little lazier and borrow more English words, but as far as official language in Québec goes, they don't say anything in English if they can A) avoid it, or B) make up a not-currently-existent French word for it.

Lets not make this tread a political French / English speaking in Quebec I'm sure other forums could cover this very well. It's a nice gathering that will be a lot of fun with people from all over and we will make sure that when we are done everyone can swear properly in french ;)

Through costco we can get tickets for Habitant for 23.99 for the saturday. That's a pretty good deal.

I would need to buy them as it looks like it's only on sale in QC.

I woldn't mind the week before buying them for everyone. I would asked to pay pay up front obviously with paypal + paypal fees. (which makes sense)

I'm only a few minutes away from everywhere in Val David so it's not a problem I will be there nice and early to distribute the tickets.. just make sure you get there before first chair ;)

I could also inquire with Mont Habitant for a group rate as it might be even cheaper. I'll do that tomorrow and post the details on what's best for us.

All right here's the scoop for the prices. The prices are very good. Hopefully it will get more people to come out.

I made a few phone calls this morning and got group prices. We need to be 20+ people in order to have these prices... all prices are in Canadian money so take out about 20% now for the prices.. then again it might change depending on how stable the economy is ;)

Satuday @ Habitant

Adults 23.00$

Kids 20.00$

Sunday @ Mont Blanc

Adults 25.00$

Kids 20.00$

The lady at Mont Blanc was telling me it's the "economical" season for lodging there and you can find good deals on their web site. www.skimontblanc.om

I already booked a 4 day mini-vacation at Mont Blanc in February. I can give you the full scoop on accomodations, food and hill afterwards. Ernie is right, the prices were very reasonable. A hotel room (ski in/out), lift tickets and two meals a day came out to $1,600 for a family of four. That was about the price quoted me, per person, at Owl's Head. I just hope the food is good. If not, my family will kill me and I'll never get to plan a vacation again.

...the hotel at Mont Blanc seems to include a lift ticket, but the condos don't. The condos are a better deal also.

So are most people planning on driving from Habitant to stay at/close to Mont Blanc Saturday night? Let's coordinate so that we can all invade some unsuspecting restaurant/bar!!

Not sure if this has been mentioned but The Telus Spin event is also on at Tremblant from March 28th to April 5th. This is a huge freestyle and BX event with concerts, night events and some great atmosphere....

The reason I mention this for a carving event is that for the last 2 years (at minimum) Tremblant has sold a "Spin Pass". Last year it gave unlimited riding from March 24th to end of season (April 18th ish) for $129; less than the cost of two days lift tickets. It is absolutely dead during the week @ Tremblant.

I'm not sure if/when they will do a similar deal this year but usually the pass goes on sale about 4 weeks before Easter and is valid from the Tuesday after Easter until the end of the season. You need to live in a certain Postal Code and show ID when you buy it. I got 18 days on it last year!!

Count me in for this event as my oldest son will be competing @ Spin.

Cheers

//Paul

After receiving a good number of emails from people on our contact list and reviewing this thread... we'll finalize the venues.

Saturday March 28th - Mont Habitant

Sunday March 29th - Mont Blanc

Monday March 30th - Mont Tremblant

Looks like the lift tickets are a good deal for both Habitant & Mont Blanc (thanks for looking into that Ernie00).

So... start looking into accommodations and we'll see you all at Mont Habitant, bright and early, Saturday March 28th!

For the Saturday Apré Carvé (there's my Franglish!) I think it would be good to patronize a local bar/restaurant in St.Sauveur or St.Adele. Chewy? You're very local. What says you?

SQS

all I can say is that the après in tremblant will be at the Ptit Caribou...on the resort, dinner at La Diable microbrewery later, then back to the Caribou till the lights come on at 3

and Mont Blanc has a perfect bar slope side at the base

Habitant is a St-Sauveur date...

• 2 weeks later...