Note to New Members ×

new board this season

paragonUE

So I bought this new board for this season, an 02-03 173 Volkl Renntiger

I just started hardbooting last season, on a 99 burton FP 160, rattraps and burton winds. I'm about 6'0" and 150 lbs depending on what I had for dinner, and the burton was a little bit noodly and soft under my feet.

Is the renntiger going overboard? I hear that theyre pretty stiff and demanding

I came from a Burton Alp 169 and an Oxygen Proton 178, the Volkls were a nice step right in the middle.

I have both 168 and 178 RT boards (my avatar shot is me on the 178 RT). They're pretty fun for me at 205 lbs, they're a little softer than I'd like but not bad. They do much better in icy conditions than my Donek FC1 171. On a good snow day I'd pick the Donek though.

If the price was right you'll have a lot of fun and learn a bunch - assuming it's not too stiff for your weight.

You just need some harder bindings (read=any bindings) than your rat traps! be vigilant, i saw at least 3 pair of decent binders go while you were snoozin:sleep:

Dont use the big sidecut as a crutch though:nono: bend the knees and keep your head up or youll be a green run grommit forever:eplus2:

I took my new to me 173 Coiler out for the first time last season, and crept on over to the green run expecting to get my butt kicked - it was the longest board I'd ever been on, and I was as nervous as hell ...

One run, and I went back over to the blue/black stuff. One day with your RT, and you'll wonder how you ever rode that Burton.

Paragon, I did a Burton Coiler 166 to a 173 RT upgrade in "03, and it was a perfect step in hindsight. The RT will force you to work the board more, (especially at 160 bones) and develop your techniques to get it to respond. Two suggestions, one make sure the edges are fresh and sharp -1 bevel, 89-88 side angle, and let it run...speed is your friend here as this board does not work very well going slow. It took me awhile to trust it. By the middle of my second season on it I upgraded to the Prior WCR, 187. This WCR may still be available a year & half from now as I am getting little interest on it in the for sale post. Look me up when your ready :biggthump I give you special discount.....

Have fun this season!!

Don't let the length scare you, you just have to be more proactive. I found this out when going from a 164 FP to a 177 Nidecker. Like Al said, you will need more speed to make it work. Point it down and count to five before you make the first turn.You will also need an 'attack the hill' mentality at first. Sort of over do everything. Aggressive, weight forward, driving the knees yelling "Got your a** now" kind of thing. (You're gonna love it! Besides the speed you will feel much more stable.)

Don't let the length scare you, you just have to be more proactive. I found this out when going from a 164 FP to a 177 Nidecker. Like Al said, you will need more speed to make it work. Point it down and count to five before you make the first turn.You will also need an 'attack the hill' mentality at first. Sort of over do everything. Aggressive, weight forward, driving the knees yelling "Got your a** now" kind of thing. (You're gonna love it! Besides the speed you will feel much more stable.)

Just be careful not to fold the nose when riding like that. I seem to have one bad, board or bone breaking crash every season riding that way. I would say ease into a more aggressive, attacking style.

Sup hommie !

Just remember... you need to keep a leash on that tiger... or else it will bite you whenyou are not expecting it......

Speed is good.

The RT I was on borrowed from a co-worker last season was indeed a fun board, but once "engaged", you had to really torq it to get it to recover from a hard lean, or else...........well.... it gets mean.

Staying Neutral Body Positioned on it is really a key aspect to making it drive like a dreamboat ...... or you are FUBAR and screaming Yardsale! :barf:

You are going to worry that poor board to death before you even get on it! I went from a very soft 167 to the Renntiger, as long as your game is good on those first days, you will be fine. Once you learn it, you'll be suprised how tight you can force it when needed. Have fun!

the pair that CSsmith has for sale with a renntiger

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22104

The reason I'm looking at them is the price, you cant really beat 65 bucks with shipping:D, Id rather have a pair of burton standard plates, or something in that family, but people are getting a bit outrageous with the prices on those bindings, $100-150 is a bit much for some old race plates in my opinion:confused: