Note to New Members ×

Belch Village

Mr. T

My post was pure speculation based on MUD's post regarding ticket refunds ( btw, nice moto MUD )and the crazy stuff that went on at Welch last year. It was not my intention to start a scandal. It is amazing there is not more crossover from other sports, waterskiing, sailboarding, couch surfing, etc.

i believe this issue can still be resolved. i haven't refunded my season pass yet. i will buy a day pass 1st day or two to test the waters. believe me, i will be on my best behavior! if it doesn't work out then i'll ask for my refund for my season pass.

welch is a great place to ride and i would like to keep going there. i was really pissed off last year when all this came to light. i'm past that now and looking forward to a decent season like last year. might be the season for some road trips.

for those outside minnesota, we really appreciate the support for our situation but please do not make matters worse for us by bombarding the ski office with emails!!!! do not remind them of last year!!!! its our problem and we'll deal with it when the time comes.

if this can't be resolved, then we'll let everyone know.

Mr T: This thread should bring you up to speed. Link

Alpine Gear isn't being banned - the issue appears to be the "Extreme" carving style.. Ruts are being blamed for "injuries" on the hill.

I second Bobble's posting.

Out-of-state carving "supporters" sending nasty e-mails to the hill really do not help support our position. In-state riders sending nasty e-mails should know better. We don't want to escalate this.

They have not made a policy yet.........

Trent may chime in on this, or not.

They seem to want us to just go away. An email sent by them stated that they have not made a rule, but will if they have too.

I got my money back because their policy is no refund after it has been used. I didn't want to be out the money.

If you REALLY want to know how they feel, give them a call. I was very polite and professional. I suggest you do the same.

I am going to give them a while (years).

We do not represent any money as far as they are concerned. We have NO bargaining power at all. It is a private business and we were starting to risk them money I have a feeling. They can do what they want.

AND NOW, back to moto.........

I got my money back because their policy is no refund after it has been used. I didn't want to be out the money.

I would think that they would not stand a chance in a small claims court if they did refuse a refund after the pass had been used. They would have to explain why they are the only place in the world that thinks Alpine carving causes danger to others.

It will also be interesting to see their reaction as the rumour mill starts to grind and word gets out that Welch has banned snowboarders. I would guess that's why they are just refering to extreme carving in general and not talking about alpine snowboards, but you know the word on the street will be that they have banned some snowboarders. With the ignorance about alpine snowboarding, there will be many that won't take a chance on driving down to Welch.

BobD

BobD

It will also be interesting to see their reaction as the rumour mill starts to grind and word gets out that Welch has banned snowboarders. I would guess that's why they are just refering to extreme carving in general and not talking about alpine snowboards, but you know the word on the street will be that they have banned some snowboarders. With the ignorance about alpine snowboarding, there will be many that won't take a chance on driving down to Welch.

BobD

This is why they "just want us to go away". They don't want to have to make a hard rule against us because they don't how to define it.........

BobD

It won't mean s**t. Snowboarding is no longer a community. People will blindlessly go down there not knowing or not caring and just ride like it never happened. It is the "if it doesn't effect me, I don't care" mentality that is VERY prevalent these days........

The "community" said "Sucks for you guys." when it came down to it.

It won't mean s**t. Snowboarding is no longer a community. People will blindlessly go down there not knowing or not caring and just ride like it never happened. It is the "if it doesn't effect me, I don't care" mentality that is VERY prevalent these days........

The "community" said "Sucks for you guys." when it came down to it.

I didn't mean that anyone one would not go there out of solidarity with us, but that if people were not sure what the ban was about about and whether it affected them, they might play it safe and go elsewhere.

BobD

I didn't mean that anyone one would not go there out of solidarity with us, but that if people were not sure what the ban was about about and whether it affected them, they might play it safe and go elsewhere.

BobD

Ahhh, I see what you mean. Sorry for the rant. I am a little bitter about the whole thing.

Apparently, Welch has developed new lift ticket technology with built in angle sensors. The ticket automatically self destructs when lean angles are greater than 45°.

As someone that rarely rides at Welch, maybe 1-2 times per year, I'll sit on the sidelines and watch this one. The regulars there can try and work out a deal with management.

However, I do know that my extremely extreme style of extreme snowboard carving is welcomed at Buck Hill and Afton Alps.

Since I live the closest to Belch, I will test the waters down here and maybe even buy a season pass. I am feeling that after all these years of coaching that I may take some time off and just ride for myself for once. With all the crappy skiers and boarders there that are a risk plus all the ski teams who rut the hill (does Belch groom after they practice, not that I've seen), why are we an issue? You should see the skipee accident stats from their horribly designed park alone. I can't count the times that I went airborne from a gate rut with potential serious injury. Did I run to management because my thong was on backwards and I crashed because of a rut...........NOPE! I remember Trent getting smoked buy a skier from behind at one MES. Don't recall him running to the ski cops. Sorry if this was all over the place, but I worked 85 hours this week and am tired as hell. Can't wait to ride.

Kenton

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to ruffle any feathers by saying this, but I think that any snowboard race at Welch should be boycotted. I don't think it's right that they can ban our riding style and host a race for the same riders. When this was brought up last year I think they said they would allow us for the day on certain runs or something like that. It's totally bogus.

To add insult to injury they sent me an e-mail telling me of the great new inprovements they have this year.

I am still bitter. It's just so Wrong, to say it nicely.

I am still hoping it willl all work out, but my confidence is low.

The problem I have with the situation is I can't deal with them...... Anytime people behave in a manor I do not like, I am inclined to give them a time-out. This time is directly related to their age (my daughter is 2, she gets 2 minutes). This is not a good way to deal with adults. But it is all I know since I have been at home for 2 and a half years with my kids.

So unless someone else is doing the talking, we are done.......

;)

What?! Boycott?! Really? Really? I mean... Really-really?!

Ok... so my feathers got a bit ruffled with this one..

powell1.8: Sorry man, I don't agree with you at all.. And here's why:

As I understand it, Welch has an issue with a few adult carvers, and their aggressive riding style.

Chances are excellent that the Welch concerns began after a mid-week group of carvers, or

perhaps even steming from our yearly carving session at Welch.

Boycott?! Who are you asking to boycott?

What good does it do to boycott an event which you never attend?

I don't recall seeing you present at ANY of the USASA event in the last.. um...six years?

If you had, you would know that the racers at these are NOT the same group of carvers which are at the heart of the Welch Village issue.

In fact, the majority of racers at these events are junior riders ages high-school and younger, and their parents.

MOST of these riders are NOT even on alpine gear!!!

Other than myself, and the other alpine coach, there have been up to three other adult alpine riders in attendance at any event.

(Yeah...Three!)

This is the only option for alpine snowboard racing in the state of Minnesota, and much of the mid-west.

If you're asking *ME* to boycott the event - that just isn't going to happen!.

Whether I race or not I will certainly be there to support and coach our riders - I'm sure the other coach feels the same.

You're making quite a leap in logic by associating the USASA with the "ban" on

extreme carving at Welch Village. Different groups, different dates, different goals, and

I'd really appreciate it if if you didn't bring kids into this.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you (off forum) the names of the three people your proposed boycott might apply to,

though I'm not really sure the boycott of an event that is already down in numbers would not be terribly effective at making a statement to Welch,

nor would it be very productive for advancing an already niche sport.

Hey - tell you what - If you were *truly* intending on racing USASA events this season, the e-mail of

the USASA Alt Series director (who organizes the locations of the events) can easily be found on-line,

and would probably be interested in hearing from you - might even have some insights.

On a side note... What's with this "If I can't have it - no one can!" mentality?

Doesn't seem like you...

Cheers Bro! I am looking forward to riding with you soon!!

powell1.8 & MUD

I am also frustrated..

Doing what I can - and optimistic that this will work itself out.

I think Powells point is that WE (as a community) should not go to events held at Welch...... Event holders should see this and "try" to use other areas to show that WE as snowboarders stand together (ban one, ban all).......

WE as in us carvers are NOT a financial chunk of ANYONE'S income...... There for, it won't happen!

In the grand scheme of things, MONEY is what makes the world go round, and we don't represent any.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freakonomics