Note to New Members ×

Is the Snurfer a Snowboard?

Snowriter

Is the Snurfer a Snowboard?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Snurfer a Snowboard?

• Yes
    • No

Some people have said that the Snurfer is not a snowboard because the rider holds a rope. Thus, just like a scooter is not skateboarding, a Snurfer is not a snowboard.

Others say a single plank designed for someone to stand on and ride down a snow covered hill is a snowboard ... it doesn't matter if you're holding a rope or not.

What's your take?

I think that's it's more accurate to say that the Snurfer was the predeccessor to the modern snowboard.

To be a snowboard, I think you have to be attached to the device- either by strap or alpine bindings.

It can also be thought of as the grandfather to the No-Board.

Were homo erectus and homo habilis the same as homo sapiens? I think the Snurfer could be considered a unique species that is distinct from snowboards yet still a crucial evolutionary step without which snowboards, as we know them, might not exist.

Its a surfboard for snow.

The rope is there just to pull the nose back up outa the slushy waves ;)

It is not a "snowboard" as known by common terms and standards, but is indeed the grandfather of the modern day equipment we ride.

Kinda like how the hand crank Gattling gun of the 1800's is the origin of this:

AEG_Custom_Minigun_lg.gif

Well I have never seen nor ridden a Snurfboard ...

So have no comments to make on them....

But I sure have seen similar guns blasting away like the one that Dave ESPI showed in his post.

As I told Dave ... they may not be listed in the dictionary under CARVING ... but they sure can CARVE a TRENCH of Destruction through those looking towards the barrel end of this monster.

http://vampirebat.com/war/gatlinggun.wmv

This should be listed under fun things to do ..

when there is no snow ....

actually it is awesome fun even when there is snow !!!!

I'd say it is a close relative, but it's no more a snowboard than riding an old Santa Cruz Slasher skateboard deck backwards down a sled hill. If I was snowboarding then I need to add a few years to my resume of snowboarding. Or would this also be considered a snowboard? I guess you could say a girl who is your friend is your "girlfriend" too, but try introducing her that way and watch her reaction.

post-6711-141842258812_thumb.jpg

I bought a Snurfer on eBay a couple of years ago just to have it displayed in my weekend place in Vermont. I've never ridden it but would like to try. I originally hesitated because I didn't want to damage something that might have some value some day but I don't see those things commanding top dollar anytime soon. It makes for a nice conversation piece.

BTW, from eBay I also bought a 1930s era ski instructional manual, a Ski Magazine from the fifties, and a Life Magazine from the forties with a large picture spread on skiing.