Note to New Members ×

Looking for a new commuting bicycle

Derf

Hi all,

I know there are a couple of cyclists here. I've been riding a mountain bike outfited with road tires for more than 10 years for commuting. I rode an old Trek until 2004 when I got a Giant to replace it. I feel I made a wrong decision in getting a mountain bike again, so now I am getting something more adapted to commuting.

I decided to go with a performance hybrid bicycle and I'm not sure with which one to go. My budget is around 800-900$CDN. I was thinking about disk brakes, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price and weight for city/road riding. I ride about 3000+ km per year and my daily commute is 40 km (2x 20 km).

The most interesting bikes I have found up to now are the Trek Soho 1.0 and 3.0 and the Jamis Coda Sport. The Jamis is very interesting because it is one of the few bikes with a steel frame (and I like steel frames).

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it all depends upon where you are commuting and what conditions are like in your commute. I commute from Queens to Manhattan by bike, which means a relatively flat commute with the exception of bridges, but lots of traffic so I ride a single-speed non-fixed bike. I ride a Cannondale Capo, (that's the frame anyway) which I like. This is basically an old cannondale track frame, marketed as a messenger style single-speed bike. The frame is super stiff and very light so its easy to get up to speed in traffic, but has a forgiving front fork that softens up the ride a bit and makes things a lot more comfy. I like the frame but the components that this bike comes with stock are crap, so I wouldn't buy one new. I kept the fork and the wheels on mine but everything got tossed. I use a pair of bullhorn-style bars that let me keep my head up a bit higher if I like, while still allowing me to keep my fingers on the brakes - so I can see around cars better without taking my hands off the brakes. (Profile design airwing os, I think they're actually TT bars) and a stiff, strong, (but not-so-light) wheelset that will withstand the abuse of NYC streets.

My bike works very well for in-city commutes and dealing with traffic, but I wouldn't want to commute on it over huge climbs or in a situation where I had to spend significant amounts of time on unpaved roads.

A lot of people are riding fixed-gear bikes in NYC these days but I think they're mostly doing it to be fashionable. They're fine if you're not maneuvering through traffic at high speed, but if you're dealing with cars a lot in traffic you need to be able to turn sharply without worrying about your pedals hitting the ground (you need to be able to coast) and you need to be able stop quickly (you can stop on a fixed gear, and some can stop quickly, but not nearly as fast as you can with a decent pair of brakes.)

I dig the single speed non-fixed thing because it is extremely low maintenance, and very simple, but does not impede your ability to do most of the things that a regular bike does.

post-2204-141842258787_thumb.jpg

nice looking bike, wish it was steel but you can't have everything. I'm not sure that at age 41 I would ride a fixxie commuting anymore but a single for sure. Singles are nice because the promote maintaining RPMs over shifting gears...as long as you don't let the RPM's drop you actually use less energy

Gotta lot of seatpost showing, a significant drop from saddle height down to the bars. How tall are you?? Is it the correct size frame?? Just askin!! I deal with the saddle to bar height difference all the time. I'm 6'2" unless you order up a custom most frames end up that way. Especially the compact frame designs!!

Gotta lot of seatpost showing, a significant drop from saddle height down to the bars. How tall are you?? Is it the correct size frame?? Just askin!! I deal with the saddle to bar height difference all the time. I'm 6'2" unless you order up a custom most frames end up that way. Especially the compact frame designs!!

Yeppers - I had just installed installed the new seat/seatpost in that photo, and the seat is indeed slightly too high for me in the photo, though I do generally have quite a bit of seatpost showing. I like to run the seat at a bit of an angle so that I can quickly and easily switch between sitting and standing very quickly and push a bit further back into the seat if I want a longer stride. That said, the bike is slightly undersized for me, I feel like it's a bit easier to throw around in the traffic and also quicker to mount/dismount when I have to. it's a 50" frame, and I am 5'9" - That probably wouldn't be ideal for riding long distances but it works out pretty well for making your way around the streets. The bullhorns bring my hands a bit further forward so this seems to make up the difference nicely besides.

KingCrimson: I'm geared 50/16 with the cranks at 165mm and 700 x 32c tires so apparently my gain ratio is 6.5. I have no idea where that lies in terms of averages for single speed bikes but it works for me. (I'm not all that technical, I just try and figure out what works for me). That is according to this site: http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/rabbit.applet.html

The pedals on the bike are old, I switched to the bare-bones version of the eggbeater after the quattros fell apart. I like the new ones better, as they are easier to clip in and out of.

nice looking bike, wish it was steel but you can't have everything. I'm not sure that at age 41 I would ride a fixxie commuting anymore but a single for sure. Singles are nice because the promote maintaining RPMs over shifting gears...as long as you don't let the RPM's drop you actually use less energy

Thanks - yeah - I have learned that as long as I am spinning and maintaining my current RPMS that it all evens out in the end. Sometimes it can be a bit grueling on windy uphills but I can still climb pretty quickly (or rather, I have to - because gaining back speed is much more difficult than maintaining it). Sometimes it can be a bit of work but it puts a smile on my face and it keeps the legs looking alive.

Have you thought about something like this? It's steel, single speed, linear pull brakes... definitely no frills, but inexpensive.

...I switched to the bare-bones version of the eggbeater after the quattros fell apart. I like the new ones better, as they are easier to clip in and out of.

Good, apparently I'm not the only person that thinks quattros are a pain in the a$$. Hadn't thought about putting my old egg beaters on the road bike.:smashfrea

I like Marin.

I was a part-timer at REI for a couple of years, and overall their bikes were my most-recommended, esp. when they were on sale.

Own an old Stinson comfort/off-road that's been nothing but great. However, I use it mostly for commuting.

For that specific duty however, I'd pick either the Hamilton or the Muirwoods 29's. The latter is my current fantasy bike. REI carries it, though to me it looks a bit pricey.

cheers

KingCrimson: I'm geared 50/16 with the cranks at 165mm and 700 x 32c tires so apparently my gain ratio is 6.5. I have no idea where that lies in terms of averages for single speed bikes but it works for me. (I'm not all that technical, I just try and figure out what works for me). That is according to this site: http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/rabbit.applet.html

Wow, 6.5 is steep! Can I call you Jan Ullrich now? I have no clue as to what's average for a road bike, but I can tell you my gain ratio is 3.5.Your stubby cranks likely account for a good amount of that ratio, although, your BB is so friggin low you couldn't hardly go much longer without scraping. The fact that you're on a flat piece of concrete helps a lot though. When on the flats, especially paved ones, I end up hitting roughly 160 RPM. (Assuming I go 20; I pass almost all the cars on the 15 MPH limit road between trails, but of course, I can't maintain that cadence for long, I damn near have a heart attack.) I can't go faster than 160, although I'd love to be able to, I'm nervous at any speed becayse I haven't gotten clipless pedals and shoes yet, and my laces would be happy to get gobbled up by the chainring.

29ers make great commuter bikes for several reasons, one of the most appealing being the curb attacks. If you use a very high volume tire with a high pressure on a 29er, you can run over anything basically up to 9 or 10 inches without worrying about pinch flats.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks!

Was just horse camping, my wife brought one of the below bikes, you have to pedal some to get the electric motor on the front wheel to run, very impressive, comfortable, and thrifty

If I were commuting for work I would definitly use one, it goes uphill if you pedal and it's work, it zipps along on the flat or slight grades

jmho

eZeebike (eZee)

The eZeeBike has been a successful and sought-after line of e-bikes in Europe that are now available in the United States. Range of 30 miles and top assisted speed of 20 mph is possible with the three standard (non-folding) models. With well-crafted aluminum alloy frames and lithium batteries, these bikes are lighter than other electric bikes. Equipped with 250- and 350-watt silent (gearless) hub motors, eZee bikes come with many accessories as standard equipment. Different models may include: fenders, front shocks, suspension seat tube, Velo cycle computer , integrated front and rear lights, rear luggage rack with spring-loaded bar and integrated bungy chords, chain guard, and foldability.

The result are bicycles that are comfortable to ride and also provide wonderful power and range. They're ideal for doing everything from a cross-town daily commute, to weekly grocery shopping, to weekend "get fresh air and stay-healthy" rides.

Available from:

Single speed bikes are out of the question. I know that some people like them for different reasons (weight, simplicity, fashion), but I don't believe it can be useful in my situation. I use my commuting bike for everything, that includes some touring and longer rides (100 km). A single speed has not advantage as soon as you have hills, even worse if it's a fixed gear. In Montréal, we have lots of hills with the mount Royal and and the small hills downtown, plus there on my commute I cross the Jacques-Cartier bidge which is a good climb (50 meters vertical). So I'm looking for something with a triple crank (I've ruled out bikes with a double crank) and a wide range cassette (11-32 or something similar).

I'm not convinced about drop bars for city riding. I'm an used to be a bike messenger and rode a flat bar back then. The maneuverability and the quick reaching of the brakes are important to me because I sometimes ride like I did back then. On drop bars, the best maneuverability is with the hands on the brake levers, but braking is not as fast or powerful in that position. The best position to brake quickly is with the hands in the curve of the bar, but maneuverability is not as good in this position. For long rides, drop bars can be good, although I never rode some for a long ride.

I checked out the Giant FCR series because I can get them at a discount at an old shop where I worked. The FCR3 is underequiped for my taste and I don't trust the wheels on the FCR2.

I quickly checked out other Marin bikes and no model interests me. The Muirwoods 29er seems nice, but the tires are too big. I have some 1.5" right now and want something narrower. The rims seem too wide to take narrower tires.

I don't really want or need an electric bike. I prefer to pedal by myself and I don't need the assistance. Plus, the battery and motor add lots of additional weight, which I don't want.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Sounds like a good quality Hybrid is in order.

700c wheels, road geometry, flatbars.

What does your LBS carry?

+1

Get whatever has the highest end drivetrain at the price you can afford (whole package, not just the rear der.). Everyday use in weather is hell on these components and lower end gear will be in need of replacement in no time. Also, consider fender eyelets, clearance for at least a 32c tire with fenders on the bike, and 32 spoke traditionaly built weels.

However, if you only ride on sunny days, consider a cruiser with a nexus 7 speed and a flame job.

Gotta lot of seatpost showing, a significant drop from saddle height down to the bars.

In NYC, this is necessary in order to place your head at the correct angle to glare through cab windshields with the "I will drag you from your car and light you on fire" look that is essential for arriving at your chosen destination intact.

The Long Haul Trucker is essentially a touring bike without the touring gear.

The Karate Monkey is quite pricey, but the LHT can be had DIRT cheap from Bikes Direct Edit: No it isn't, just cheap as opposed to my LBS..But you'll get free shipping and it's a FEW bucks less than other offerings. No clue if free shipping is extended to C eh? N eh? D eh?

Raleigh has oodles of touring bikes... http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/hybrid/

Good call. The Cross Check (I believe you mentioned above) and Karate Monkey are worth a look as well. Something to be said about having the option to run MTB size tire casings when the snow starts falling.

though I don't own one, I've ridden a few they are simple, well built, utilitarian bikes...and unlike most of the bikes these days STEEL...I really want to live someplace where I can commute by bicycle again so I can justify a bike of Surly's nature (the wife and I are working on a move to Portland in 5 years or so).

Never owned one myself either but have sold quite a few of them. I've always found Surlys to be very well thought out from a component compatability and flexability standpoint. A mechanic's dream. No surprise considering they are from QBP.

...I really want to live someplace where I can commute by bicycle again so I can justify a bike of Surly's nature (the wife and I are working on a move to Portland in 5 years or so).

Lincoln, Nebraska has terrific bike paths and is dead flat.:ices_ange