Note to New Members ×

Looking for a new commuting bicycle

Derf

Thanks phil,bomber rules lol.King,gave my mountain bike to my girlfriend so i have plans to throw a 34 tooth on the front and do some offroad with her so i left the suspension on. I did at one point have the rigid with bullhorns and a road cassette on it...... I do remember getting a few 160km rides in on it that way in preseason before switching to the roadbike, sweet ride

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I bought the bike, I thought that I could replace it by a rigid fork, but I found out later that the angles won't work (too steep) unless I get a longer rigid fork that is meant to replace a front suspension but then, it would be a hassle to install fenders.

Derf, I have a suspension corrected rigid fork sitting around my place, it is dark blue in color and 1 1/8" steerer, the steer tube is 9+" long. It came off one of my old Treks that I stripped down. It is made out of cro moly and it does have lower rack mounts but not uppers. Cantilever mounts only, no disc tabs.

If you want it, pay for shipping and I will send it to you

• 3 weeks later...
Derf if you are willing to wait this fall for the bike, I know OPUS has his end of the year clearance sale on demo's and what's left in Ville St-laurent. I got my road bike that is worth 1799 + tx for 750 tx included.

You should have to wish and hope they have the model / size you want.

I found out it's in November. I don't like their urban/hybrid bikes, but I'll still go and see if a decent road bike can be gotten for cheap.

Derf, I have a suspension corrected rigid fork sitting around my place, it is dark blue in color and 1 1/8" steerer, the steer tube is 9+" long. It came off one of my old Treks that I stripped down. It is made out of cro moly and it does have lower rack mounts but not uppers. Cantilever mounts only, no disc tabs.

If you want it, pay for shipping and I will send it to you

Thanks for the offer, I'll look into it depending on how my shopping goes.:biggthump

• 3 weeks later...

For those interested, here is an update.

I just bought a 2008.5 Kona Jake (frame and brakes from the 2009 and everything else from the 2008). I went with a cyclo-cross bike with drop handlebars and a triple crank after speaking with some cycling friends. And I'm keeping my actual commuter for shorter commutes and general city riding.

This is a pic from the 2009 model.

T2K9_JAKE.jpg

I've got the '08 JTS and it rides like a dream. The Jake felt good when I was trying it out, but just happened to get a better deal on the JTS.

Kona are good bikes, cyclo-cross bikes are unbelievably versitile which I enjoy.

Have fun and be sure to buy a good lock!

-Gord

I use my bike for commuting and long rides, and that may include steep climbs. I had the cassette changed fom a 12-25 to 11-32 and this is the perfect gearing. I got to use some of the easy gears Saturday when I did a 100 km ride in the Eastern Townships. I like to climb hills sitting down, so it's an other reason for the triple.

Here is a pic I took Saturday before the ride.

IMG_0847.sized.jpg

Jamis Coda Sport. The Jamis is very interesting because it is one of the few bikes with a steel frame (and I like steel frames).

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks!

Derf,

I had a friend who absolutely loved his Jamis Coda. As and older ex-racer and touring rider he raved about the steel frame taking the sting out of the ride, and slightly more upright riding position. He also loved that it was fast when needed. My local lbs carries the Coda and has good sales with it. I say go for it, especially if you can find it for a better than msrp.

Ink