Note to New Members ×

volkl Cross question

Strider

HEy all,

I used the search function to look for info on the Volkl Cross and only came up with threads in the classifieds. Anyway, I'm looking for an all mountain board and was really looking at ordering a Coiler AM ( I have a PR now) and also really enjoyed the ATV that I demoed, but they area bit out of my $$ range right now and was wondering if anyone has opinions on the Volkl Cross, especially if they can compare it to one of the other 2 boards. Thanks :)

HEy all,

I used the search function to look for info on the Volkl Cross and only came up with threads in the classifieds. Anyway, I'm looking for an all mountain board and was really looking at ordering a Coiler AM ( I have a PR now) and also really enjoyed the ATV that I demoed, but they area bit out of my $$ range right now and was wondering if anyone has opinions on the Volkl Cross, especially if they can compare it to one of the other 2 boards. Thanks :)

A lot of people also like the Nidecker Proto.

As for me, I've probably spent half my season on a 167 Cross in softies. It carves great and this setup has been pretty forgiving for me as I recover from last summer's knee surgery. It's Cliffh's board (thanks for the loan) and I'm positive he'll have some good things to say about the "whale" (only a whale compared to some).

Thanks for the replies. I was kind of hoping to hear some of those things, especially about the bumps becasue I intend for it to be my bump/offpiste board with plates. The Coiler AM-T's have been getting rave reviews, and I do own a PR-superboard, but the cross is more in my price range these days. Its funny because the reason I posted was I saw theat one on e-bay and was wondering if I should take a chance on it...seems like a good deal.

I rode the 4WD 174 (a lot), stiffened ATV 171 and Coiler AM 172 (few short runs only). Today I tested the Volkl Cross, so here's my 2c...

First impression is, wow, stiff, very stiff. To the point where I would like that nose a tad softer for easier initiation and more forgiveness. In fact it is a race SL board disguised in fat version.

Rode it in hard boots and Snowpros with 45/35 angles, on groomed powder, chop, bumps, and steeps.

Carving - check, edge hold - check, EC - check, float - check, crud busting - check. One board to do it all - check. Didn't do the trees, but there shouldn't be any problems. Oh, and did I mention that she is really pretty?

It's a bit of whale to get onto edge, but once it's there it holds. Initiation is somewhat abrupt, doesnt respond imediatelly, but somtimes the nose would hook up very agressivelly after initial hesitation.

It's slightly less dump then the boards menioned above, but has more rebound. Nose is way better then on AM boards and on par with ATV. Shorter length and SCR make for slightly less smooth ride. Would I have it as my only AM board? Yes. If you had the budget, the ATV is easier carver with slightly narrower waist. The other 2 boards are just not as versatile.

As for the one on eBay, ther's something fishy there. The same board (same pics, same everything) sold few weeks ago. Winning bid was in the price range of the starting bid now.

Boris

I rode tje Volkl Cross in a 160 for several years and found it to be a very capable all-mountain carver. The only place I found it to be a problem was in fresh snow. The relatively stiff nose of the board tends to dive in the soft stuff. I am now riding a Tanker 172 which may not be quite as capable a carver but much superior in the soft stuff. The Tanker 172 also works very well in the bumps which surprised me.

Just had one of the best riding days of my LIFE at Copper the Friday after Nats, on my Volkl Cross 167...trees, pow, bumps, carving up the "chalk", carving full circles, jumping off cornices, carving switch, riding banks...you'd have to pry that puppy from my cold dead hands to get it away from me! :eek:

Just had one of the best riding days of my LIFE at Copper the Friday after Nats, on my Volkl Cross 167...trees, pow, bumps, carving up the "chalk", carving full circles, jumping off cornices, carving switch, riding banks...you'd have to pry that puppy from my cold dead hands to get it away from me! :eek:

oh was that you?

Since most of the best riders in the US were there, I doubt I stuck out, but yeah...if you saw a guy in a brown and tan jacket and black pants on a Volkl 167 carving switch in hardboots...probably me.

I meant at the top of the american flyer lift behind me, in the after noon.