Note to New Members ×

UPZ guys, got a question for you...

bobdea

I have close to the same thing but I have the Sure Foot one instead. They look the same but in the sure foot ones you foam the tongue as well. They hurt at first until they are broken in but after that they are GREAT. But I think you need a good custom foot bed in there also.

I know the stock UPZ liner is crap, I've posted volumes on it

thermoflex, good (if you've never tried a high end moldable or foamed liner)

A wrap is not king IMO, unless you're riding deeluxe. even then people that go surefoot really seem to think it was a good choice.

the reason I was asking is because if the liner is decent I'd consider trying out the UPZ boots again

To go out and buy a foamed liner will run me $250 at the bare minimum where as if I got the liner with the boot I'd save a bit

the T-flex does not work for me in this boot all that well.

I don't mean to sound like a dick or anything but I am not asking for alternative advice, I am specifically asking about this liner, experience with it and how it compares to the other liners.

Here are my 2 cents

Foam injected liners, if done right are hard to beat in performance. During the foaming process the person who does the job can actually control

how hard the “fill” therefore the fit will be. The result should be a 100% custom fit.

I have not used or seen this UPZ liner, but I am riding the Strolz foam injected liners now for 3 seasons. Before I would have even a ¼ inch of heel lift in my boots,

I will probably rip the bindings off my board (and that did not happen so far). This means best performance with the most perfect power transmission

to the board (ask Bordy;-).

Oh, the reason why I got them, I could not get any other liner to work with my feet.

Cheers!

nywcd0.gif

Here are my 2 cents

Foam injected liners, if done right are hard to beat in performance. During the foaming process the person who does the job can actually control

how hard the “fill” therefore the fit will be. The result should be a 100% custom fit.

I have not used or seen this UPZ liner, but I am riding the Strolz foam injected liners now for 3 seasons. Before I would have even a ¼ inch of heel lift in my boots,

I will probably rip the bindings off my board (and that did not happen so far). This means best performance with the most perfect power transmission

to the board (ask Bordy;-).

Oh, the reason why I got them, I could not get any other liner to work with my feet.

Cheers!

nywcd0.gif

yep, this is why I am interested, this type of liner is what I'd be happiest in

I'd like to do these as I hate the idea of buying a boot and tossing the liner and this liner is the TYPE I am going to buy for whatever shell I get next. I'd get the UPZ shell if someone could give me a little info on the liner.

Yoja can get them but I'd like to hear about first hand experience.

Bob,

I ride the Leather Flo liner in mine, It may be the best non foam liner I have ridden, Besides being all leather it has not broken down or packed out. i ride surefoot foams in all my other boots, but haven't gotten mu Z'eds foamed cuz they feel fine.

We stock the black boot and the orange boot in the flo liner.

Like Ray I have never seen the Foam Z'ed bladder but from experance know the goodys of foam. But for me (maybe not you however) the flos fit is sweet, A bitch to put on or take off, but sweet none the less.

Rays so right about the power you can make in a good foam bladder, just not sure if the Z'ed liner is good (since there is no tounge fill)like the strozl or sure foot action.

Good luck. Finding some one with first hand experance Bola is the only other guy in the country I can think of that may know.

Bob,

I ride the Leather Flo liner in mine, It may be the best non foam liner I have ridden, Besides being all leather it has not broken down or packed out. i ride surefoot foams in all my other boots, but haven't gotten mu Z'eds foamed cuz they feel fine.

We stock the black boot and the orange boot in the flo liner.

Like Ray I have never seen the Foam Z'ed bladder but from experance know the goodys of foam. But for me (maybe not you however) the flos fit is sweet, A bitch to put on or take off, but sweet none the less.

Rays so right about the power you can make in a good foam bladder, just not sure if the Z'ed liner is good (since there is no tounge fill)like the strozl or sure foot action.

Good luck. Finding some one with first hand experance Bola is the only other guy in the country I can think of that may know.

ahh, I have not used the flow liner, only the liner from four or so years ago. it was a wrap liner and a complete POS

between the stock liner being useless and the amount of shell work I'd need to do to make the boots work I dumped them.

Also the other thing that's attractive about the UPZs is that now there is a second tongue option and that was one of my gripes about the pair I had was the tongue was too stiff for me.

In and out was another issue too, if my ankle was sore I could not get the boot on!

Foaming boot liners is both an art and a science. And its a one-shot deal. You screw it up, the liners are toast. I'd be really reluctant to get those unless you have someone with lots of experience who can do the injection for you. Its not a one-man job (you can't do it yourself, and unless you are good, its hard to do right with just one person doing the work). My other $.02 - laces on boot liners suck. Heck, I cut off the stupid velcro strap that came on the Head liners in my Stratos because they are annoying and get in the way.

Foam injected liners, by all accounts, are the bomb. Super snug fit and feel. Lots of pain for the first few days, then great fit. The Surefoot shop near me probably does 5-6 Conform'able liners every day. They totally over-sell them, but they definitely have the process down cold.

If you decide to get Intuitions, Bomber sells them, or you can find your way over to www.tetongravity.com/forums and search for the group buy thread. I think when Bomber puts them on sale they're cheaper than the group buy.

again, no need for the tflex or intuition liners.

I have a few sets of them and this is not what I'm after, they DO NOT work for me in that boot.

first hand accounts with this liner is what I am looking for nothing else.

I'm in the know about foam and so on just looking as the specifics of THIS liner.

Im curious on how much difference that you know of, from current stock liner with the old liner with the red boots 4 years ago ?

Im considering purchasing another pair of UPZ boots, since my current UPZ are really beaten up from skiing on 'em on daily basis. Im not in the mood to re-purchase another thermoliner, and am hoping to save $$ on current stock liner in those current UPZ boots.

Billy likes the flo and a few others have said it's not that bad.

I talked with Yoja a bit more, with the foamable liner the UPZ is about 600 and he can get them it would just take awhile.

Lee, for a extra $100 you could have the foamed liner and I bet it's pretty bad ass, even the ****ty foamed liners are generally pretty darn good, well with ski boots anyway.

Hey Bob,

I was all hot and heavy to carry the foam liner this year until I did some looking into it. They give you the liner/kit with the boots, but as was mentioned above not something you want to do yourself. If you take it to a shop it's likely to still cost you a pretty penny on top of the $600 it already costs. Then I found out all the racers are riding the Flo's and really digging them. That sealed the deal for me. I gotta go with what works.

If you do get a pair please detail your experiences for us.

• 4 weeks later...

Foam injected liners, by all accounts, are the bomb. Super snug fit and feel. Lots of pain for the first few days, then great fit. The Surefoot shop near me probably does 5-6 Conform'able liners every day. They totally over-sell them, but they definitely have the process down cold.

I have conformables and have to say they have been the longest lasting and they are very comfortable. I loved the zip fit when they were pure silicone. When I had new ones from the cork, silicone mixture they were crap and lasted about 50 days. :angryfire

Not saying these are better than they old zippies but this is the fourth season and they don't even look broken in hardly. :biggthump

The break in period for me was wearing them around the house for two or three nights and then about 2 hours into the first day I forgot I had brand new liners. Yeah. Feet happy now. But this was in the middle of the season. At the beginning of each year my feet always take a couple days to get used to boots after being in sandals all summer. This seemed to take less with the conformable than before.

FYI - I do have custom footbeds in too.

I have the new 2008 leather FLOs and have used them 15-20 times this year and they are holding up well and feel great. They should hold up for at least 3+ years fo me. I also am a bit over 200 lbs and I like the stiffer grey tonque that comes with the boots also.

...since my current UPZ are really beaten up from skiing on 'em on daily basis....

Lee (or any UPZ-skiers out there), how do you like the UPZ's for skiing? I'm currently trying to figure out a pair of boots that'll work for both skiing and riding, and it looks like UPZ's or a pair of AT boots, but I'd love to keep the Intec option open if possible.

Works fine for me. I mean I use it on -DAILY- basis. No problem. Only thing you might want to do is to apply loctites to the bolts for front part (DIN is what I would suggest if you plan to switch back and fro for the back part alone).

EDIT: Intec is part of the deal for me -- I just switch the back part from DIN to Intec and vice/versa.

What are these leather FLO liners? Are they an option on upz?

Also, I noticed someone above griping about the current ZipFit models. At least on the ski forums, everyone seems to love them, and think they'll last forever. Anyone here use them?

Works fine for me. I mean I use it on -DAILY- basis. No problem. Only thing you might want to do is to apply loctites to the bolts for front part (DIN is what I would suggest if you plan to switch back and fro for the back part alone).

EDIT: Intec is part of the deal for me -- I just switch the back part from DIN to Intec and vice/versa.

I didn't even think about leaving the DIN toes on full-time. Interesting. You wouldn't know how the the toe box width compares to, say, Head boots, would you? That might be another deal-breaker for me, if there isn't enough width up front.

Thanks!

Eddie

Lee, (or others)

If you were to leave the din toe & heel on full time, would there be any interface issue in TD2 standards? (I know heel/toe drag issue but my angles are high enough to avoid that.)

How do you find the ski performance vs. a dedicated ski boot?

What are you guys liking about the aftermarket liners? I've been using the stock UPZ liners (sans footbeds) for years and really like them. I haven't had issues with cold feet, lack of comfort, or pressure points, and just don't know what the others might offer above that.