Note to New Members ×

Transition to skiing from snowboarding

newcarver

I know that a bunch have gone ski to boarding but wondered if anybody has gone the otherway? I am thinking of taking up skiing so I can help my little girl get going next year. She will be 3. I have never skiied before. Have boarded for 10 yrs and have skateboarded and surfed for 20. Was wondering how hard it will be to learn? Would it be best to take a lesson? Maybe my 7yr old can give me pointers:o He's pretty good on 2 planks and has just got his turns linked on a board last weekend:biggthump He wants me to buy some of the JR hardplates for his birthday.:)

do some inline skating. If you have carving skills from snowboarding and the co-ordination from inline skating you will find it easy. When I started skiing a few years ago I bought some 130 adult skis and went up on the lift. Did some wedge turns,a few hockey stops each side and then left two railroad tracks down the rest of the hill. I don't think it looked very pretty that first season, but it wasn't hard (like learning to board).

My inline skating had always consisted of drills. carving hills and slalom, so provided you don't try to do cross over turns (skating type) on skis, it is the perfect practice.

Carving on skis is like linking heelside turns on an alpine board. In the pick I'm on skis following Greg on a alpine board...

post-340-141842251837_thumb.jpg

Grab yourself some short-ish skis with a tight sidecut. Tight sidecut on skis is anything under 13m. My Atomic Metrons are 12m sidecut and they are as turny as a SL board. I too took up skiing (again) in order to get my little one started. Much easier working with little kids on skis than on a board for sure! Nowadays I generally board when my daughter is skiing since she's able to get up by herself after crashing, but I ski when she's on a board since she needs more help.

Carving those turny skis reminds me a LOT of inline skating.

I think learning to ski is easier than boarding.

i feel like the inputs required to make a snow board turn are the exact same as a ski. just your orientation is different, so you have to adjust how you input it. each ski is one snowboard, only you have to get in touch with your feminine side and multi task to do both feet at the same time. :lol:

like a snow board small movements and adjustments can have large results.

A lesson is a good idea and often free to beginners. it will give you the basics but also give you some tactics for handeling the skiing differences in locomotion, lifts etc.

if you can get on some shorter shaped skis i bet you will enjoy it. the carving on skis is just as much fun as hard bootn. and the skidding sucks just as much.

Any in line skating or ice skating is good cross training for skiing.

your pole comment is interesting. i have cut my poles way off, as short or shorter than mogal competitors. My logic is that with the shape skis I want to stay lower or heavier on my skis adn let my legs extend and retract with the eb and flow of the G forces. keep my hips lower adn allow my cross through to happen quick with out a rise or unweighting??

i watched some world cup slalom and GS and the winners seemed to stay on a heavy ski all the time adn looked like they were smoother.

If you can skate/inline skate, grab a pair of skiboards instead of skiis.

Much faster learning curve and you can carve just as hard (I witnessed my wife learning curve on those, she now starts to carve on those, whereas she was hopeless on skiis).

Bonus is you don't have to change boots (although if you are a beginner you probably should get releasable and ski boots, or at least a short pair of skiboards that won't torque your legs when you fall).

Good site for them and great online service: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/. They even have Bomber non-releasable.

If you can skate/inline skate, grab a pair of skiboards instead of skiis.

Much faster learning curve and you can carve just as hard (I witnessed my wife learning curve on those, she now starts to carve on those, whereas she was hopeless on skiis).

Bonus is you don't have to change boots (although if you are a beginner you probably should get releasable and ski boots, or at least a short pair of skiboards that won't torque your legs when you fall).

Good site for them and great online service: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/. They even have Bomber non-releasable.

When I read the first post on this thread I thought of these little skis. I suck at skiing but slapped some of these on at an education clinic and had a ball. I did have about 30 days skiing 10 years before that, but I don't that it helped as I (still do) stunk it up pretty good. With the little ski you have to stand on the outside ski and drive knees pretty hard same as carving so it just worked for me. Familiar feelings help find the sweet spot if you trust it. Sweet shot btw BobD. Carving is carving is carving. :biggthump

Been riding plates for 20 years. When my kids started skiing recently I didnt want to lug ski boots/skis to the hill...so I bought the longest set of ski blades they make 100cm....works great with hard boots. Plus you can more easily ski with your kids and help them on the chairlift and the lift line...plus it's easier to skate around...etc....similar to a 5 wheel race rollerblade if you've done any of that....

Here is a picture, at Aspen two weeks ago for the SES on the Thursday powder day at Snowmass on my ski blades with my just 2yr old

post-2482-141842251841_thumb.jpg

I'm not a skier but I can get on ski blades and get down just about any hill. At speeds I really get some wobble and it scares me. I can carve left I think it is just fine, but then as soon as I carve right, my right (normally trailing) leg starts knockin all over the place.

I use my raichles to go from board to skis all the time, the solomon & rossi binders work OK but I have to hand set the heels because of the non-DIN shape.

Once you learn how to turn in the snow, learning another discipline comes pretty easy. Especially with a brief lesson from a dual certified instructor:biggthump

no self respecting skier uses ski blades. :p

Just as well I'm not a self respecting skier then! :D. I picked mine up the other night and thought that I HAVE to get in at least one day on them before the end of the season.

Pebu, I have the same problems as you with the speed and the trailing leg! - but they're so much fun in the right place.

Newcarver, I had one lesson from my ex and I was off and running on the groomers on skis, I could carve down a blue run by the end of the first night. But the suggestion on skiboards is perfect - they're shorter, way easier to deal with for a beginner, and you can use your hard boots in them ... I still find longer skis tend to go in odd directions on me ...

To make sure the trailing leg doesnt noodle just push equally down on both edges..basically a rail turn....you'll have two parallel trenches in the snow....I find a 100cm snowblade is completely stable even when haulin' it on groomed blacks.....deep power is another thing....I stuffed it in three times at Buttermilk in the pow....they dont float.

I skied for a few years, then started snowboarding in the late-80's. I didn't ski at all for nearly 20 years, then rented skis for a day last year. I expected to be like a beginner again, but couldn't believe how easy it was. The new shaped skis turn so easily you just think about turning and they do it. I was confidently skiing the intermediate runs with my skiing friends right away, and I think I only fell once.

On piste skiing with shaped skis is just like snowboarding. Shorter Sidecuts around 11-13m make it easier for the beginning. I picked up skiing I think 3-4 years ago and instantly felt comfortable. Most carvers/racers I have seen ski better than the large part of skiers onpiste after a few hours or even on the very first run. Race type skis will even be easier than any allround ski, however for skiing with kids it really doesn't matter what you use. It only took me around 2 seasons till I tried my first time SG skis on racecourse - however for that my skills and muscle power definitely is not good enough. Yet SL and GS (also raceroom GS type skis) makes a smaller difference than strapping on softboots for me.

Snowblades etc. would do fine too and not require a second pair of boots.

For Pow it's however a very different affair. I can't really get down any powder field with style except on superfatties skis like Praxis 195 (reverse sidecut and camber) I have tried recently (and liked very much). Still strongly prefer snowboarding off-piste however.

Any of you taking up skiing and being at ease in Pow with non fatties?

Will these bindings work with some Raichle AF700 M 26.5? Would like to try them to teach my youngest to ski but would like to get away with not having to buy some more boots. Here is the link on e-bay. For $100 shipped new, hard to beat if they are any good at all. Will be used on the bunny hill and to goof around some to get used to them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Skiboards-Snowblades-Skiblades-90cm-Bindings-FREE-S-H_W0QQitemZ170197041840QQihZ007QQcategoryZ1303QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem