Note to New Members ×

on-Camera-carving "performance anxiety"??

queequeg

Ok, I have this problem - whenever someone is pointing a camera at me, I can't carve worth a damn, and I really would like to have one or two decent pictures of me carving. Does anyone else here have this problem. I think part of the problem is that most of the people taking pictures are waiting too nearby, so I can't gather enough speed to really get ripping, or have enough time to get into a groove (it seems like my first few turns on a run are never all that strong). Usually the camera is so close that I don't have any time to set up a few turns and get in my groove, I have to straight-line until I have achieved a decent cruising speed and try to rip right away, which doesn't seem to work.

I don't actually think it's (only) my reaction to the camera, I think I just need more distance/speed/groove gathering time before I can really dig into some nice turns - but does anyone have any more advice for setting up a good carving photo/video?

MMMMM----Miagi thinks answer own qustion carverson...

Sounds like you answered your own Q's ....... do exactly that. Perhaps tell your camera person to go down further and keep eyes peeled for you or if you have a third let them spot where they can see you comming and see the camera person too. get a cheap set of motorolla walkie talkies so you know when they are set. That way you can get into your rythm. I have several runs at my home hill that I can't stop at a half way point or it messes up the run and breaks my rythm. :biggthump

... funny thing, we perceive ourselves to be kings when riding in our minds' eyes- we are carving heros. The camera though, does not lie so it may be we're really not as good as we think.

From behind the lens, the videographer needs to be tucked away downhill against the trees. Everyone is less self-aware and more natural when they don't think about the camera. A good photographer blends in and "captures" his pic like a predator.

Most of the time they take pictures on easy green or blue runs. set up on a good black run and give it a shot. you won't even notice any one has a camera. then you can see how you truly ride not a posed shot.

Actually, that seems like a really good idea. The increased attention required for riding steeper terrain ought to erase the cameraman.

You know it is like anything else. The more you do it the more you get used to it.

There are essentially no other alpine boards in my neighborhood so over the last couple of years I have had my kids take endless video of me so I am kind of used to seeing how bad/slow/huge I look.

Once you get past the asthetics, video is great for pointing out weird things about the turns.

I've shot videos of groups (mostly of other instructors) and this is what works for me...

It works best if you have a run with a fairly consistant pitch. That way,the photograhper/videographer can go a ways down and still be able to see the person and signal him/her when he/she is ready. Once I find a good spot, I stop on the side, usually undo my back foot so I can be off the ground some and can twist better. Then set up as if you were shooting the person once they are already past you. (It's much easier to keep the camera smooth if you untwist your body, that twist it.) Then twist up the hill. Zoom all the way in on the person. When you are ready, wave to the person you want to shoot. When he is ready (ie the coast is clear!), he should wave to you, then start recording. As the person comes closer to you, zoom out. Then once he is going past you, zoom in again.

I know ski instructors especially like to see the video of the skiier going by so they can see if the person is leaning back. I guees it's the same here... to be able to see from all angles.

As for me being on camera, I think I always ride better (but fall more!) if I think someone is watching me!

I've had good and bad experiences.

Usualy its a bunch of great turns, then a washout with spectacular "snocoat" camo over my entire body that later in pics I looks like an abomie-snowman with a perpensity to wear more the mountain than I share.

OR, I ride like crap, then once the camera is "off" I pull somethign amazing, and go " Did ya get that?" and they say "get what? I was looking at the chicks...."

:lol:

Make friends with a good photographer. Time and angle are everything. When we shoot it's at 8 frames a second. 1 in 20 shots is okay. 1 in 100 is great.

sj

1 in 100 is a great tip, you never realize that when going thru all of those great shots from the SES or other event. I just figured every picture you guy take is fantastic!

I actually took all of my photographers pics and made a short movie. This video is in the video section too, but I thought I would post it here as well. These pics were taken with a Canon SLR at SES, then put together in succession in I-Movie on my mac. Turned out pretty cool.

<object width="225" height="155"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdsUsnpFX1U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdsUsnpFX1U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="375" height="305"></embed></object>

Ok, I have this problem - whenever someone is pointing a camera at me, I can't carve worth a damn, and I really would like to have one or two decent pictures of me carving.

I don't actually think it's (only) my reaction to the camera, I think I just need more distance/speed/groove gathering time before I can really dig into some nice turns - but does anyone have any more advice for setting up a good carving photo/video?

HAH. you are right man, you do fine till ya see "the camera' then you get twitchy.

I hid behind a fence, and you did fine till ya saw me...

:lol:

Me: @ the top of the run,

You @ the bottom of the run:

haha ! atleast you can't really hear the swear from that distance.. :)

Earlier I got Jose on the widows whites run.

Saddly, the flap was closed on the camera for an earlier rally good run I had, but the audio sounded cool !

Was nice riding with ya on Sunday. Sorry we almost got wiped out by that girl on Northglade... Later on in the day at 3:00 I was on the 180, and this kid came outa nowhere and went right infront of me, and we had a mild collision..... snowboarder + snowboarder..... we were OK :)

2005983585016956814_rs.jpg

Yep ... if there's a camera around, I just plain suck. That said, the video is still useful. In the sections where I am far away and unwaware, it seems pretty plain to me that I am trying to hold out my turns too long and not transitioning quickly enough. I think I'll focus on that next.

fun riding with you this weekend Dave!

Video and photos are 2 completely different things and a whole different mind setup.

This is the second year at SES that I had a chance to work with Sean on taking shots. Sean does an excellent job in taking pictures and has all the right equipment. In a photo shoot it is important that the rider knows exactly where the photographer is and his turns are wide and long so that the photographer has enough time to put him in frame. It is also good if the rider looks at the camera.

In terms of video the rider needs to forget that there is a video on the mountain and ride as natural as possible. the camera needs to film constantly. For an hour of filmed video you will probably get 5 minutes of actual footage that you can use. But the most important part is the editing. The camera usually takes away 20% of the speed you are coming down with, so a usefull tip is to playback at slightly higher speed.

I have seen videos that looked boring as hell but when I saw them edited with music and transition they looked completely different.

Here are some photos that Sean took during the SES.

post-2667-141842252335_thumb.jpg