Note to New Members ×

Goggles

rikytheripster

Am after some new goggles and as I dont wear sunglasses really want a pair with two inter changable lenses, one tinted and one for low light.

A while back i read that oakley wisdom's with a high blu lense for low / flat light and tinted lense for bright sun would work well.

Would two lenses cover most conditions or would i need an intermediate lense?

Recommendations?

How easy is it to change lenses out on the slope?

cheers

Am after some new goggles and as I dont wear sunglasses really want a pair with two inter changable lenses, one tinted and one for low light.

A while back i read that oakley wisdom's with a high blu lense for low / flat light and tinted lense for bright sun would work well.

Would two lenses cover most conditions or would i need an intermediate lense?

Recommendations?

How easy is it to change lenses out on the slope?

cheers

Its pretty easy to change out lenses - most frames have the same procedure. The frame is all plastic and just peels away from the lens which is held in a groove.

For lens try to get a bright day lens that has some type of mirror coating - it helps cut down the glare from the sun. I like lens that increase contrast, like a rose tinted lens.

I have Spy optics goggles and run 3 lens. A 15% mirrored bronze for sun, a 40% rose for overcast days and a 70% yellow lens for snowed out days.

The wisdoms are nice, I had a pair with the blue permission colored lens and it worked out pretty well for most conditions. On sunny days it was a bit hard to see, but for overcast days it was fine.

Pretty much all goggles have replaceable lenses and usually you can find the extra lenses you want in the aftermarket, some more easily than others. I have a pair of vonzipper feenoms that are a pain to find lenses for but even those can be found with a bit of googling. Some goggles have more options than others.

I think 3 lenses works for me:

1: bluebird/sunny days: Chrome Green.

2: overcast/flat-light: Rose.

3: blizzard/night: Yellow.

When picking the goggles, make sure they have all the lens options that you want. I find that my current goggle (VZ Feenom) doesn't have much in the way of options for overcast days (but I am happy with them nonetheless). Some goggles have more options than others. I had a pair of UVEX's before that I really liked but somebody nicked them at the mountain :-(.

If you carry your extra lenses with you in your jacket or backpack, you will want some kind of hard case for them, so that when you bite it, your lenses will be ok.

POC makes a pair of goggles that come with three lenses, orange, blue and clear, but they are just single pane and may fog up too easily.

I bought a pair of HaberVision Polarized this season and I am quite pleased as the work well in all light conditions. The polarization does through some freaky colors off of painted surfaces, but as long as you stay off the halucinagens you should be fine. They are around $65.

Sorry Bola, unless Zeal redesigned / upgraded their line since '2005, the last pair I had, with interchangable lenses, were crap, neither the farme of the lenses lasted the season. I purchased them from an E-Outlet, so they may have been seconds, but they were not marketed that way. I would think it foolish to have any of that show up on the market anyway.

Al

yes :biggthump Zeal ppx is the way to go. cheaper than most getting 2 different lenses and none of the hassle

Cheaper? They cost about 6-7 times as much as my goggles did.

I bought a couple pairs of moderately expensive Oakley goggles. The optics were very good, but they scratched so easily that they were only useable for a few days. One set was brand new and I rode by a snowmaking machine and the ice crystals that froze on the lens ruined them. Then I bought a $20 pair of Scott goggles and they have held up fine for years.

Maybe its just me, but I have tried out some extra-fancy goggles once or twice, that changed opacity with the light and are supposed to require no lens changes, but I never much liked them. I really feel like certain lens tints (as in colors) provide better *clarity* in certain light, and while the polarized goggles change opacity, they do not change hue, which is key if you ask me. Also, In my experience, the polarized lenses take too long to adjust to sudden changes in light, which can be somewhat disastrous when you drop into a narrow and shady trail from a wide-open and sunny bowl.

Q,

I think you are refering to photochromic lenses when you speak of change. They are designed to ligten or darken with varying degrees of light. Polarized lenses are gradiated as to control the direction of the light they pass, reducing glare, so no change occurs. Your eyes, of course have to adjust with changes in light intensity, not fault of of the lense.

Al

Well I just got a pair of the Carrera X-change(with the helpful nose/cheek piece, and it came with 2 lenses one bright/mirrored lense, and polar-C a copper/rose lense that seems to work well in a varitey of conditions,(and it makes certain things look cool)

I have 4 diff oakleys, including the HI yellow, and lets just say i wont be buying oakleys ever again. I find the yellow is ONLY good for low light, doesnt work well in cloudy snowy days. For that a true Rose is best Its seems to give the most depth perception, even though every thing looks red.

Of course the other thing to keep in mind is feild of view, So many goggles have and almost unacceptable FOV; keep that in mind.

You might also want to look at the scott I/O which also comes with 2 lenses.

My own theory on goggles is

1)buy a two sets of Identical gogs when they go on sale, and alternate the goggle instead of swapping the lens, added bonus if something breaks or wears out you got some spare parts. ( most come with two lenses so enough to last a few seasons), I dont think you need more than two lense tints but two sets of gogs could give you 4 different tints to play with.

2) I try to stick to brands common to my local shops and likely to be found if I travel, say what you want about Spy/Oakley/Scott but I guarantee you can find a spare lense at any resort in north america should something break, If I have to buy new stuff I like my old stuff to work for parts..

3) I ride in rain or near rain conditions a lot so will only buy a goggle with a single plane curve, makes it ieasier to squeegee off, Had a set of Oakley A frames once with the compound curve lense real pain in the rain.

4) Mirrored lense nice in the bright but DO NOT wipe if they get wet, your mirror finish will scratch off quickly(Oakley/spy/arnette are what I tried with mirror) and be hard to see out of.

5) My favorite brands that I have used in descending order

-Spy (blizzard model I believe, my current favorite)

-Arnnette ( two different models both good, cant remember model)

-Oakley (O frame I liked, A Frame I hated), the foam that contacts

the face tends to delam on me more than other brands

-Zeal unkown model, cheap, no complaints

-Carrera , two sets unused still in boxes, polarized good in sun?, cheap,

-Scott- one set hated em never buying again,never could get the lense

to seat properly, possible cause of fogging on them

6) Should mention that I stay away from anything that has the strap connected by any breakable "widget" thingies, if the strap dont go thru a good old fashioned slot in the frame of the goggle I will not touch it.

7) Favorite tints seem to be light bronze, yellow, and rose for the bulk of my riding, (foggy to overcast most of the time) , not impressed with the light blue tint I tried, and a nice grey light blocking tint is nice on the spring sunshine days.

8) Alternating Goggles between days and proper drying technique is key if you ride multiple days in a row in moist conditions, also never store in duffle bag with wet gear if you plan on seeing the next day.

9) take your helmet with you when shopping to check for fit

my two cents for what its worth on goggles

Dave*

My own theory on goggles is

1)buy a two sets of Identical gogs when they go on sale, and alternate the goggle instead of swapping the lens, added bonus if something breaks or wears out you got some spare parts. ( most come with two lenses so enough to last a few seasons), I dont think you need more than two lense tints but two sets of gogs could give you 4 different tints to play with.

2) I try to stick to brands common to my local shops and likely to be found if I travel, say what you want about Spy/Oakley/Scott but I guarantee you can find a spare lense at any resort in north america should something break, If I have to buy new stuff I like my old stuff to work for parts..

3) I ride in rain or near rain conditions a lot so will only buy a goggle with a single plane curve, makes it ieasier to squeegee off, Had a set of Oakley A frames once with the compound curve lense real pain in the rain.

4) Mirrored lense nice in the bright but DO NOT wipe if they get wet, your mirror finish will scratch off quickly(Oakley/spy/arnette are what I tried with mirror) and be hard to see out of.

5) My favorite brands that I have used in descending order

-Spy (blizzard model I believe, my current favorite)

-Arnnette ( two different models both good, cant remember model)

-Oakley (O frame I liked, A Frame I hated), the foam that contacts

the face tends to delam on me more than other brands

-Zeal unkown model, cheap, no complaints

-Carrera , two sets unused still in boxes, polarized good in sun?, cheap,

-Scott- one set hated em never buying again,never could get the lense

to seat properly, possible cause of fogging on them

6) Should mention that I stay away from anything that has the strap connected by any breakable "widget" thingies, if the strap dont go thru a good old fashioned slot in the frame of the goggle I will not touch it.

7) Favorite tints seem to be light bronze, yellow, and rose for the bulk of my riding, (foggy to overcast most of the time) , not impressed with the light blue tint I tried, and a nice grey light blocking tint is nice on the spring sunshine days.

8) Alternating Goggles between days and proper drying technique is key if you ride multiple days in a row in moist conditions, also never store in duffle bag with wet gear if you plan on seeing the next day.

9) take your helmet with you when shopping to check for fit

my two cents for what its worth on goggles

Dave*

From the sound if it you would really like the POC Iris Comp goggle:

Three lenses, persimmon, blue, and clear. Single lens layer, nice construction, wide field of vision, solid strap/construction with no bs on them (my biggst complaint about my current goggles is the strap adjusters move around too easily).

http://pocski.com/?m=6&c=3&p=W74001

I bought them in case my current goggles wouldn't fit in with the POC helmet I bought but they do. I like double lenses for fogging so I haven't tried them but they seem like you would really like them.

Any recommendations for prescription goggles?

my riding buddy just got a pair of Smith Phenoms Turbo with RX inserts and loves them. They have a small fan to help with the fogging, they are nice and light, don't look too goofy and available in many stores. The inserts fit pretty well in there and that seems to be the way to go.

spherical lenses, I have had issues with them from multiple vendors, it seems that they are more prone to scratches right where I am looking but the big issue is that they are more prone to damage to the lens that causes distortion. it bugs the **** out of me.

BTW, I think photochromatic is the way to go. I had some bolles years ago that were and they were great and I have a couple pairs of sunglasses that are that I use to drive.

Oakley HI Blue wisdoms for the overcast days, carrera polarized rose for everything else. Each one works in 80% of the conditions I'm likely to encounter.

If I was building a two-goggle 'quiver,' it would have one low-light pair, like the Oakley HI's, Smith Sensor Mirrors, or anything clear, and one polarized rose or gray one.

A few years back I was picking up some glasses at Smith (It's nice to have Smith and Scott HQ right in town here) and trying to get some good looking glasses that would be good fishiing. In their "sport" line designed for ski and snowsports, they didn't offer polarized. The rep indicated problems with skiers on firm snow not being able to see the glare of ice due to the lack of reflection. Maybe they were just blowing smoke up my powder skirt or has anyone else heard of this?

There have been occasions with my polarized sunglasses that I walk out to my truck and I look down and I swear I'm floating an inch above the ground. It's a strange feeling, but I tell you what, polarized lenses are awesome. I have heard however that polarized goggles don't work because they are too far away from the eyes. I'm not sure how much stock I put in that though because in my dad's line of work he uses polarized lenses over gems and such to determine the orientation of the grain. And those are right over the gem, instead of right over the eyes.

In general I think polarized lenses are great for cutting down reflected glare. I especially like them for driving. However, they also do some strange things. With polarized lenses I see strange patterns in tempered glass, like automobile windows, and I can't read some LCD displays like gas pump displays and bike computers.

In general I think polarized lenses are great for cutting down reflected glare. I especially like them for driving. However, they also do some strange things. With polarized lenses I see strange patterns in tempered glass, like automobile windows, and I can't read some LCD displays like gas pump displays and bike computers.

Ditto. Try turning your head on it's side... Now just do that every time you're fillin up the gas tank.:smashfrea