Note to New Members ×

Volant SL - shallow inserts?

Dan

My buddy just graduated from a Rossi Throttle to a Volant SL, but had some trouble moving his Catek OS1 bindings to the new board. Using the stock screws, he's bottoming out in all inserts before the baseplate is secure.

Does anyone know off-hand where to find some slightly shorter binding screws? Possible to find at a Home Depot, or is this a McMaster-Carr item? How do you do this safely? (I.e., make sure there's enough engagement to secure the baseplate when using shorter screws than stock.)

Has anyone else had this problem with Volants?

Thanks,

Dan

If you want a shorter binding screw you can get metric stainless hardware at ACE hardware.

OK, so I just looked at the Catek site and here are the options for screws they sell.

http://www.catek.com/catekdirect/customer/product.php?productid=23&cat=3&page=2

M6 x 12mm (with patch)

OS2, OS1

M6 x 14mm (without patch)

FR2, OS2 w/D3 Elastomer

(Note: Patch not needed with D3)

M6 x 16mm (without patch)

OS1 sold before 2/15/03

I'm not sure what size you want since I don't know which binding you have. But you need to measure from the head of the screw to the bottom of the threads to get the length of these screws. So measure what you have and then subtract 2mm

To know if they are secure enough you'll want 4 full turns of engagement in the screw. This'll give 4mm of threads since the pitch is 1mm.

->Ben

My buddy just graduated from a Rossi Throttle to a Volant SL, but had some trouble moving his Catek OS1 bindings to the new board. Using the stock screws, he's bottoming out in all inserts before the baseplate is secure.

Does anyone know off-hand where to find some slightly shorter binding screws? Possible to find at a Home Depot, or is this a McMaster-Carr item? How do you do this safely? (I.e., make sure there's enough engagement to secure the baseplate when using shorter screws than stock.)

Has anyone else had this problem with Volants?

Thanks,

Dan

cut spacers made of milks jugs until you reach the proper amount

It's been a long time since I mounted bindings on a new Volant (I had 3 of them over the years) but, it seems I remember running a blind tap in the holes to clean them out. Measure the depth of the holes with the bindings in place to see if there is enough depth for the standard screw but, just not enough thread.