Note to New Members ×

OT: summer substitutes for snowboarding

FTA2R

hey all,

season is over for me and I'm sorta looking for something new to do, preferably outdoors and gives a rush similar to riding. I really want a motorcycle, but too nervous to ride one in the DC area (plus I' d probably go way too fast), with excessive traffic, crazy drivers (inc. large amounts of "ricers") etc. What do you all do during the summer as a substitute? mountain bike? I heard longboard skateboarding is fun. Vlad, I know you slalom skate. Anyone have any of those boards that are supposed to simulate a snowboard? just curious to hear what you all do.

Barry

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you tried wakeboarding, you can carve up the water easily, its not like snow, but its a close second (warm snow) I have only tried it once and it was cool. My angles were preset for another rider at 0 and 0, I wanted to try steeper angles, but I didnt have enough time. Has anyone tried steeper angles with success?

maybe we could start a new sport, Harboot wakeboarding!

yeah!

I am walking down to the patent office as we speak.

When I am rich I will buy a Coiler for every day of the season!

Cya

Jason

is that those just aren't very accessible to me, unfortuneatly. closest thing would be the chesepeake bay in MD, but I don't know many people with boats. not that my 1.5 hour drive to the slopes of PA is overly convienient, but wakeboarding would be even less accessible. Thx for the suggestion , though, I appreciate it and it does look fun. I'm thinking about buying a dirtbike, although I'm not sure how accessible that is either. oh well, where there's a will, there's a way.

does anyone dirtbike?

barry

hey Jack,

I forgot about those articles, checking them out now. I forgot to mention that I actually did go mountainboarding a few summers ago and it was pretty scary (we were on an actual ski slope). glad i tried it though. The bindings where basically non-existent, rubber straps. definitley easier if you are already a skater.

going to look into these "new skool" boards a little more.

thx,

barry

I like finding a steep hill/mountain with trees and running down as fast as I can. After hiking up, of course. Aspen forests are fun because you can swing from tree to tree (sometimes without feet touching the ground). It's kinda hard on the knees though. With the right boots you can "edge" the dirt, kinda' like skiing I guess.

Okay, so I'd really like a nice mountain bike but don't have the money.

Otherwise it's skateboarding, street or pool, and this year a good bit of weightlifting. I want to try more olympic-style lifts, as I've done a little bit of that and it feels great and is probably really good for snowboarding.

Guest Jagger
Originally posted by BDZal

and this year a good bit of weightlifting. I want to try more olympic-style lifts, as I've done a little bit of that and it feels great and is probably really good for snowboarding.

BDZal I'm a little affraid to give any advice after reading the flame war going on in another post however I think that I am qualified to say this. (I have more than 10 years experience as a competitive powerlifter) Personaly I would say stick to the basic major lifts Squat,Bench Deadlift and military press with some assistance exercises tricep and leg extensions leg curls maybe some pull ups and calf raises etc etc mix it up a bit. But stay away from the olympic lifts they are extremely technique oriented and a good way to get hurt if you don't know what you are doing. not to mention balistic movements are tough on the joints. Oh and try to find some body to train with that knows a good bit about what they are doing a good partner is an invaluable asset. hope this helps.

Mike

Okay, so go find a giant really steap sand dune, take your crapiest board with you, hike to the top, strap it on, and go for a run. Sandboarding is the way to go. I've heard it's like riding in a heavy slush but hey, it'll just keep you in shape.Yeah i've never done it myself, but i just broke myself a board thats still in good enough shape to take through the sand, so i'll be all over it this summer.

sandboarding - there's an answer I didn't expect. unfortenuately the closest dunes are the outer banks of NC, which is not real close. and i dont' have a board to mess up. it's a cool recommendation, though. =).

i'm calling the local bike shop tomorrow get the skinny on the dirtbiking scene.

keep the suggestions coming. the cicadas will soon be here.:eek:

barry

Some of the best Urban whitewater kayaking in the country is just outside the beltway on the Potomac....all different levels. You're also not far from many other whitewater opportunities in MD and West VA. There are many similarities between boarding and kayaking and you still get the adrenalin rush. It also keeps you in the mountains. It's an awesome sport. Some of the world's best kayakers in the world hail from the DC area. Let me know if you want more info...I could point you in the right direction.

Miguel

Guest Oppenheimer
Originally posted by Barry

does anyone dirtbike?

Yes. I bought my first bike last spring. Like you, I enjoyed the idea of a motorcycle but not the prospect of learning to ride one on the street. I've played just about every sport / activity to some extent and motocross / trail riding may be my favorite. Two things I would say about dirt bikes though:

1. Make sure you have somewhere to ride. If you have a truck / van / trailer this shouldn't be too much of an issue. In CT we have some of the strictest off road vehicle laws in the country so you have to either find a good legal place to go, or take your chances with the DEP. I imagine Virginia is better than we are up here.

2. Gear up. Rocks are a lot harder than snow, and learning to ride will likely have at least some falling involved.

It's not really a lot like carving, but it's neat in the same way that you can ride to your ability level. If you want to cruise at a green circle level, you can do so. If you want to ride at that semi-scary limit then you can do that too. This information may not be news to you at all... I figured I'd reply because I'm not that far removed from considering getting into it myself.

Guest Kil'-basa

Berry, don't listen to nobody. Next thing they're gonna tell you to skydive for summer training. Try this and see why it's the best summer-time snowboard sub.

couch_potato_in_chair_md_clr1-vi.gif

we have some characters here, some funny stuff, good reads. thx to all who responded.

here are my responses:

re slalom skateboards longboards:

I owe it to myself to at least try one. Vlad, I may take you up on teh offer next saturday. Do I need to bring any kind of gear or wear anything special? i've got a few protective pads from when i was younger)

re: sport bike,

honda cbr, i'm fam. with it, great looking bike. one of my co workers gave me a ride on his bike this past summer (gsx-r 1000 i think) b/c i had never really been on one and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. guy got it up to 120 mph on a service road w/ me on the back (no leathers might I add, of course I had no idea he'd get it up that fast). it was sssccarrry, yet sorta fun i'm sure once you get used to the speed and obvouisly a ridiculous rush. so several of my friends are serious sport bike riders (racing @ summit point, buds creek, etc) and one of them was telling me that guys are hitting pavement almost every weekend in this area, not newbs either. if i lived somehwere with less traffic and more rural, i'd surely get one. i took the msf course and did ok in it and i'm sure i woulnd't be wreckless, but i'd like to see 30 (I'm 25) and i just dont' trust riding in this area. but i do have tons of respect for the non-squid riders ,esp. those in this area or any heavily congested area for that matter.

Miguel, I am curious about kayaking. thought about it before. can i "try:" it out before spending 1000 on something i'm not even sure i'll like? we see them everywhere here around Great Falls. hell i think there is even some crazy dude who goes down great Falls park! pro i think.

on the lighter side of things, have you even seen the "jackass" guys do "urban kayaking?" it's amusing.

re dirtbiking, I just called local bike shop and they wree like "nah, not many public trails here." I'm gonna inquire more about buds creek (MD) i have a compact car, i'd have to get some special hitch first i'll worry about finding somewhere to ride.

i did a big bungee jump in europe and i'd like to run with the bulls in spain maybe this summer.

can't wait to see what the next round of answers holds :)

barry

personally I go for the sportbike thing myself - closest thing to carving a turn on a snowboard is carving a turn on a back country road on a sport bike. short of that get a road bike, train like a bastard, start riding with a strong group and once your in shape you will ge that endorphine rush your looking for - it will just be a lot more work.

hi C5. i'll politley pass for now on the fishing and golfing. perhaps occasionally but not as a hobby. thx for the suggestion though. speaking of driving things, your 'Vette sounds fun to drive. my pops used to have a 77 was a great lookin car.

i'd like to test the limits of the golf cart that might be fun. or getting a ride in the driving range ball collection cart would be cool, like the bud "real american heroes" radio commericials.

cliffh, where'd you get that awesome pic, your avatar i guess. i saw it's on stoked.at, too. anyone know any info re: that pic?

barry

Barry

I just wrote an reply but it didnt go through. Wakboarding is a great summer sport. Been doing it with snowbaording since 1984, it used to be called skurfing.

Fleaman mentioned a hardboot type of set up. The closeest thing on water to hardboots would be slalom skiing which is a great way to stay in shape.

Wakeboarding is more relaxed and take less energy than slaloming. It is a different feel than snowboarding but keeps the legs in shape, especially once you start "loading the rope" and jumping. You may also consider wakeskating ,which is just a deck with no bindings. Significantly helps with balance and gives you an appreciation for bindings.

If you go set bindings up at about 15 degrees on front and -15 degrees on back(duck foot) and just over shoulder width apart. It may seem awkward at first but that is how the boards are designed to be ridden. It's learning curve is similar to snowboarding in that you with be sucking down some water teh first few sessions then it takes off from there.

Kite baording is also fun but very expensive.

If you have any other questions drop a reply or if you are going to be in eastern PA this summer look me up and I'll pull you up and down teh Lehigh River for a while.

You bring the beers

Take it ez

Greg

I bought a Carveboard a couple of years ago. It's fun to play on once in a while. Does a good job of reminding the legs which muscles are used for carving, if I spend a lot of time on it during the summer, I notice a difference when fall comes around. I bought it over a T-board because the learning curve on the Carveboard is way shorter (I really like the way the T-boards ride also though). My wife was just getting into snowboarding at the time, and she rides the Carveboard quite often now also. The big pneumatic tires are fun too. My kids like riding it with me too. I can stick one of them between my feet on the board and cruise down small hills with them. The big pneumatic tires are fun too. You can run over stuff that stops many longboards in their tracks: rocks, sticks, curbs, beer bottles, small animals.....