Note to New Members ×

"freecarve" boots

DiveBomber

What size boot do you wear? I have two pairs of Burton Free Carve boots that I have tried to give away but no one would take them. I think one is a 28 shell and the other is the next size down. The smaller one has such ugly colors that they just might be in fashion again.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=13498

If you are interested send me an email as I don't spend much time on this forum.

alan

413 = 423 = LeMans

Right?

Hated LeMans. In locked mode I was able to collapse the shell, painfully soft to ride in walk mode, too narrow in front, to wide on the heel (heel lift)...

I would imagine they would be ok with BTS and heel lift somehow sorted out.

413 = 423 = LeMans

Right?

Hated LeMans. In locked mode I was able to collapse the shell, painfully soft to ride in walk mode, too narrow in front, to wide on the heel (heel lift)...

I would imagine they would be ok with BTS and heel lift somehow sorted out.

no, not quite

the 423 and lemans are stiffer shell material and the 413 also is a three buckle boot on the smaller sizes (I think) different liner options too

also there are different tongue options with different boots.

that UPS boot look allot like the old burton stuff that had a bad rep but I don't have any first hand experience with either boot.

if you can find a pair or burton earths or shadows they are alright, with deeluxe the suzuka and indy are drastically different animals from the SB/ lemans series boots, wider and not prone to all the annoying bull**** issues that pop up with the SB series.

the suzuka with the soft BTS I bet would rock worlds for a all mountain free carve rig.

Raichle/deeluxe SB413s , very soft flex, come in 3 buckles below size 25/26 , 4 buckles if over that(very easy to remove the top buckle), add a BTS with yellow springs and you would have what you are describing.

Does anyone have experience with the setup that Dave* is suggesting?

A few notes for RWMaron ( take anything Dave* says with a grain of salt)

I have ridden a fair bit on my 4 buckle 28 mondo SB 413s ( just with out BTS installed more on that later),

The SB 413s are noticebly softer in flex than my SB125s with race tongues, 225s, suzukas, or my AF 700s with the silver springs in ( gold is just stupid for me ),,, the 413s are still much stiffer than any softies IMHO ....

The only "HB" that I have that is similar flex is my Nordica TR 12 AT boots, which now that I mention it is another option for you, I like these for hiking and powder riding as when put into ski mode the forward flex is not locked out, it merely stops the boot cuff from rotating back past a certain point, gives a very surfy feel

It should be noted that for a "hefty" size person I favor a softer to medium flex boot, boot flex is a highly personal thing.

Now since the latter part of last season I have only been on one set of boot shells, my SB 225s with BTS installed ( blue springs) , now that I have had a taste of BTS I cant go back ...... need to buy a few more units so the other shells can go into the lineup again.

For freecarving/off piste/powder and especially if you are a lighter rider the yellow softer springs for BTS would be the way to go, over 200lbs blue springs. ( not sure about the red springs havent tried em yet)

Now the pluses minuses of the SB 413

Plus

-cheapest HB

-soft flex, great off piste boot

-Its Raichle/Deeluxe so breakable/wear outable parts can be easily gotten ie heel/toe pads.

Minus

-comes with single position lockout ( not an issue if putting in BTS)

-SB series shell shape so narrowish toe box

-the stock liner is non thermo fit at least when I bought mine( thats why they are cheap), bin the stock liners , get thermos your feet will thank you.

-the heel n toe pads wear out quickly,,, this goes for all newer gen Raichle/deeluxe boots I find,,, they need to bring the older red or green ones back

BTS Caveats

-as they allow the boot to flex properly at the pivot and rely on the springs not boot shell deformation for the preload/tension I think boot shell stiffness is much less of an issue with BTS on, ( pulling on my flame retardant suit now:flamethro )

-they lack walk mode, so depending on where you like your cuff angled

prolonged hiking could potentially be a PITA (pain in the $%%) , I like a

fairly vertical cuff setting so not a problem for me.

Dave*

maybe its just me, but I love the response from the UPZ RSVs. I just can't seem to have them tight enough. Last weekend, I accidentally broke a buckle from putting them on too tight. I just love cranking them tight as possible so I can get through the afternoon moguls.

maybe its just me, but I love the response from the UPZ RSVs. I just can't seem to have them tight enough. Last weekend, I accidentally broke a buckle from putting them on too tight. I just love cranking them tight as possible so I can get through the afternoon moguls.

if that's the case you have a poor fit, the UPZ buckles are kinda cheesy but if you feel the need to have the boot that tight your liner probably has issues.

Packed out maybe?

If you're on thermoflex liners remold, another option would be some boot foam in the shin area to eat up some volume.

A few notes for RWMaron ( take anything Dave* says with a grain of salt)

BTS Caveats

-as they allow the boot to flex properly at the pivot and rely on the springs not boot shell deformation for the preload/tension I think boot shell stiffness is much less of an issue with BTS on, ( pulling on my flame retardant suit now:flamethro )

-they lack walk mode, so depending on where you like your cuff angled

prolonged hiking could potentially be a PITA (pain in the $%%) , I like a

fairly vertical cuff setting so not a problem for me.

Dave*

Does boot tongue deformation count or is that taken out of the equation as well?

Stratos. Not Pro, just Stratos

there are two pair on ebay germany right now in 28.5 and I believe 29...

you can put BTS on them, too.

germany ??

got a link dsub ??

str8 outta Hampton

http://cgi.ebay.com/07-HEAD-STRATOS-ALPINE-RACE-HARD-SNOWBOARD-BOOTS-27-5_W0QQitemZ130116919156QQihZ003QQcategoryZ21249QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

if that's the case you have a poor fit, the UPZ buckles are kinda cheesy but if you feel the need to have the boot that tight your liner probably has issues.

Packed out maybe?

If you're on thermoflex liners remold, another option would be some boot foam in the shin area to eat up some volume.

They fit OK right now. The liner definitely packed out but I just like having them tight enough to cut off circulation. On the lift, I just loosen them up and crank them down when I'm ready to go. I think I'll remold them soon. Next year, I want to spend as much money as needed to get a custom footbed, best liners and what not.

I've seen those chicken legs of yours, I'm betting your calf is low volume

try some foam, might make a huge difference and if not just take it out.

Lol yeah its true. Do ski shops carry any foam that I could use? I might just stuff a sock between the liner and the boot cuff.