Note to New Members ×

UPZ RTR or RSV Boots for Skiing

forrest

Hello, I'm wondering how well the UPZ boots work with the DIN Heel and Toe on Skis. I find that with shape skis I have a more neutral weighting with respect to the boot, i.e. not weighting the tongue excessively. which makes me suspect that hardboots may be OK on skis so,

has anyone used the UPZ boots and found them sufficiently stiff to layout turns on skis as well as on the board.

I ask because I've used ski boots on both skis and board for the last 12 or so years and thought it may be time to turn it around if the boots work well with skis.

I know that the guy that runs virus has experience with them, he posted pics here in ski mode with them.

I also know that some of the guys that ski on the short skis(I refuse to call them skiboards because it's skiing and nothing else) like them

3rd year or 4th year of using UPZ RSV (the red ones) for skiing. they work just fine. Just be mindful its a bit different dynamics than ski boots. Its not stiff as it "should" be for skiing, but is stiff enuf for hardbooting. dont know if that makes sense. I use rossi stratch skis.

Last seasons I skied and boarded in a set of RSVs for 3-4 runs each before deciding that I got them one size too small. Just had an old set of thermoflex liners molded in some one-size-bigger RTRs today though.

UPZs are much stiffer than my Raichle 324s, to the point that they're tough to get on and off (even with the correct size :) ). I didn't push them real hard but I think the lateral stiffness is just fine for skiing. That was my biggest concern about the dual-purpose-boot idea. Now I'm more concerned that I'll find them too stiff for boarding... I'm optimistic though. Fore-aft might be a little soft for skiing, but they're adjustable - there's sort of a mini-BTS built into the boot.

If all goes well I will spend several hours boarding in them tomorrow, and will ski in them in a week or two.

NateW, it would be nice if we could get together and ride in 'em UPZ boots. I admit I have not dial up my adjustments on my UPZ at all. Its all factory setting. -shrugs- works fine for me. only thing i did was modifying the front partof the boots, and made it permanent with the front DIN on but exchange between hardbooting and skiing sole often.

Snowboarding went well today. I replaced the UPZ liners with Raichle Thermoflex liners for the sake of comfort, but since the RTR UPZ liners have a stiff tongue that softens up the fore-aft flex a bit. I'm happy.

I might try them on skis as soon as next weekend, but probably not til the weekend after.

I really like the Intec+DIN heel idea. That would be sweet. :)

Hey Scott That was my feeling using two sets of boots it far too much hassle and trash to drag up to the hill for a 'fun' day of skiing/riding.

I was hoping there was a way to put intec pins into the DIN heels, cant imaging they get too battered when used skiing. hmmm wasn't there talk at one point of bomber making their own intec heels??

I take it you do use UPZ. Isn't it a b---h to swap those DIN/SB heels? It is for me. a pain in the arse. i get paranoid too. "loctite, please." "coming right up, sir."

Actually I use my Raichle or blax and just hand set the heel binder, not exactly kosher but it works for me. I have Nordica gran prix when I do any hard skiing.

I take it you do use UPZ. Isn't it a b---h to swap those DIN/SB heels? It is for me. a pain in the arse. i get paranoid too. "loctite, please." "coming right up, sir."

do you really have to switch? couldn't you just leave the din heel/toe in place if your angles are high enough to eliminate boot out? Or is there another issue that I don't know about?

I ski in my 124s, I had to raise the toe piece slightly & I have to hand set the heel because of the cutback on the boot heel. How well this works varies with the brand of binding. Warning; ski binding may not realease properly w/out DIN. that said I stay centered & don't ski in heavy conditions with a nonDIN boot, but its great for cruising groomers & practicing switch skiing:biggthump

anybody know if deelux 225's will work with ski bindings? as for fitting bindings and stiffness. i stopped skiing when i started boarding and would love to be able to ski once in a while.

nope, they will not fit a DIN binding, too much bevel on the toes and heel

Hey Scott That was my feeling using two sets of boots it far too much hassle and trash to drag up to the hill for a 'fun' day of skiing/riding.

I was hoping there was a way to put intec pins into the DIN heels, cant imaging they get too battered when used skiing. hmmm wasn't there talk at one point of bomber making their own intec heels??

I don't like step-in bindings. I like the regular clip in and it works.